SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big Snapping Turtle In My Pond - Dispatch It?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Snapping Turtle In My Pond - Dispatch It? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Nobody here has heard about .22 rifles?

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
This guy was crossing my driveway back in 2015. The one I saw today was easily twice as big.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Based in the smoothness of the shell, that's a common snapping turtle. An alligator snapping turtle has sharp ridges on the shell that somewhat resemble the back of an actual alligator.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Nobody here has heard about .22 rifles?
Hypothetically speaking, when he sticks his nose above the surface of the water to breath, someone with a .22 could aim about an inch below that nose...and then pull his ass out of the water and eat him. Ain't saying I've ever done this, but it IS a hypothetical possibility.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Relocate please.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
check your local regulations. THey may leave you in a sticky spot

here in VA.
https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/...fe/nuisance/turtles/

quote:
Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries staff do not come to your home or property to pick up/remove/relocate turtles. (It is illegal to relocate, or liberate, turtles in Virginia, 4VAC15-30-10).

I ignore that law. I've relocated dozens of turtles.

To the OP - relocate. A two foot long snapping turtle is a very, very old turtle. It would be a shame to make it through that many decades just to be killed for being in the wrong place.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
A snapper that big could be 100 years old.

Please, please have the Fish and Game folks trap and relocate it to a safe place.

We want the sperm or eggs from that turtle out there because animals that survive long enough to get that big are from the deep part of the gene pool.

This!

In my long years in this part of the country I have "rescued" several snappers from roadways.

I would suggest that one should check the regulations before deciding to turn one into soup. There may be a season, or they may be completely protected.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I've just found a video of a giant snapping turtle in action. A pineapple was waved within snapping distance. Crunch!

Yes, closer to 200 years old than I'll ever get? Live and let live. Unless you're really hungry. Wink

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
And don't forget to name him Donald.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31434 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Unless it is a danger to pets or loved ones, relocate. These guys are absolutely prehistoric both in looks and genealogy. They are also extremely tough- here is one I rescued off of the roadway... I did not try to determine where the blood was coming from.

This guy died from natural causes in the wild. My hands are on the largish side for a general idea of scale.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15570 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a turtle story.

When I was 11 years old and living in western Washington, my folks put me and my older sister on a train to visit my grandparents in Minnesota. They lived on a lake (who doesn't in Minnesota) and that was the first time I ever saw a turtle in the wild.

I had a great time fishing and hunting for turtles with my cousins. Well, one turtle ended up in my luggage when we left and it was found by my mother after we got back home. She was not happy by the way. Now we had a pond on our property, a fresh water pond fed by a small creek, and I figured that would be a perfect place for him. I hung around that pond for years growing up but never saw him again.

I remember this like it was yesterday. I had just graduated from high school, and was walking past that pond with my girl friend when she yelled out..."hey, look at that turtle sitting on that log". I walked over there and that damn turtle was sunning himself on an old log. I made the whole family walk down to look at him. I never saw that guy since then.

Hell, he could still be there.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
They travel in the spring looking for love

So a spring breaker then? Like all of God’s creation—-all about procreation.

When I was in high school one summer I had a job with the Illinois Department of Conservation at the fairgrounds area in Springfield where they kept all the native critters that they put on display during the State Fair.

There were 8-foot chain link fences with outriggers all around the conservation area. There were several reservoirs inside the compound where they kept the fish and turtles. Just before the fair started they would drain the reservoirs and take a representation of the various fish and turtles and move them to big aquariums in the "fish building" for display.

I was driving the pickup around the outer perimeter one morning and saw a huge snapping turtle perched atop the chain link fence next to the road. I thought, the boss isn't going to believe this and drove to the office to report what I saw. He says, "yeah, they do that", and told me to take the long pole that was in the back of the pickup for that purpose and push the turtle back over to his side of the fence. They climb the fence by hooking their beak on the wire and pulling themselves up one link at a time. I learned that this was a regular occurrence and even the 8' chain link fence can't contain a horny turtle. Who would have thought?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I'd relocate a turtle. But I cringe when I watch some of these shows where they catch a problem raccoon or skunks etc. and "relocate" them. I'll just move my problem over here to someone elses area. Recently saw a show where they actually relocated a ( are you ready?) rat. This animal love is getting really stupid and politically correct.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
This animal love is getting really stupid and politically correct.

Agreed.

Kill it and eat it.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I'm in the 'relocate carefully' camp.

He may have been living in your pond, or may have been attracted to it - no way to know. They don't get that big without being very good at eating. If you are attached to what's currently in your pond, you probably don't want a huge snapper (of any species) either coming in from outside, or remaining there.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The photos above are regular snapping turtles, not alligator snappers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The photos above are regular snapping turtles, not alligator snappers.

We have both here. I only saw the big one for a second or two as he swam down into the water. Not long enough or close enough to determine which type he was, but I was assuming alligator due to his size. I haven't seen a common snapper that large around here before.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Is there a nude beach in your area?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31434 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
My wife tells of being traumatized as a child. Her family was visiting a great aunt and uncle who lived in the country, and while fishing in a small pond my wife caught a snapping turtle. She called her Aunt Lil, who came over and cut its head off with a hatchet. She loved turtle soup.

If you happen to actually catch this one, if he's actually 2 feet or larger, I'd certainly consider leaving him alone or relocating. If he's more like a foot or foot and a half, enjoy your soup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: honestlou,

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post