SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Look at President Trump’s Nominees to the Second and Ninth Circuits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Look at President Trump’s Nominees to the Second and Ninth Circuits Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Bar Memos
National Review

This evening, President Trump announced his 18th wave of judicial nominees, including two nominees to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and three nominees to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. With this announcement, only a handful of federal court of appeals vacancies lacking named nominees remain.

Filling these instrumental federal judicial appointments is a significant accomplishment by the President, as well as Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley.

And the President continues his trend of making outstanding nominations to the courts of appeal. The nominees announced today will bring significant experience and desperately needed philosophical diversity to the Second and Ninth Circuits.

Below are links to bios of the five new appellate court nominees announced today.

Joseph Bianco (Second Circuit)

Michael Park (Second Circuit)

Patrick Bumatay (Ninth Circuit)

Dan Collins (Ninth Circuit)

Ken Lee (Ninth Circuit)

Links to bios at the link.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Dems aren’t going to like these nominations. Do you think that they’ll be able to stall them by withholding their blue slips?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The Dems aren’t going to like these nominations. Do you think that they’ll be able to stall them by withholding their blue slips?

No.

Thanks to their unreasonable withholding in the past, Chairman Grassley has boldly decided that a courtesy is just that, and not a veto.

I think DiFi and Kamela announced a committee to recommend suitable candidates for judgeships in Whackyland. I doubt, but do not know, that any of these were approved. It doesn’t much matter. They won’t be confirmed in this Congress so we’ll see about next year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is going to help us behind enemy lines, in the 9th district. Will be great to have our 2nd Amendment rights back.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think DiFi and Kamela announced a committee to recommend suitable candidates for judgeships in Whackyland.

thats gonna go far...do they realize that they're functionally irrelevant at this point in time?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“…Of the 22 active judges on the bench [of the ninth circuit] — the court is authorized to have 29 judgeships — 16 were nominated by Democratic presidents, and six were nominated by Republicans.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...-circuit%3f_amp=true

This sounds to me as though conservatives would still be in the minority even if President Trump’s three nominees are seated.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
“…Of the 22 active judges on the bench [of the ninth circuit] — the court is authorized to have 29 judgeships — 16 were nominated by Democratic presidents, and six were nominated by Republicans.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...-circuit%3f_amp=true

This sounds to me as though conservatives would still be in the minority even if President Trump’s three nominees are seated.

I’m not sure how important that is, given the size of the circuit, the number of judges (22 active, 18 senior), the assignments to 3 judge panels, and even en banc hearings do not include all judges. I also wonder if there might be a informal quota of circuit judgeships from each state, so many from Washington, so many from
Oregon, so many from CA, etc.

posted Hide Post
Was at a Rally today, the Rep National Chairman was there, since Don Trump Jr. could not get out of Fla for the event.
He said Pres. Trump thinks that it is just as important to fill the Federal Courts as well as the lower Supreme courts with conservative judges as it is the Supreme court.
He said only 9% of all lower court cases make it to the supreme court of the U.S.
It makes sense. Heck these lower courts were blocking Trumps mandates and not allowing him to run the country...usually for phony reasons as well.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Was at a Rally today, the Rep National Chairman was there, since Don Trump Jr. could not get out of Fla for the event.
He said Pres. Trump thinks that it is just as important to fill the Federal Courts as well as the lower Supreme courts with conservative judges as it is the Supreme court.
He said only 9% of all lower court cases make it to the supreme court of the U.S.
It makes sense. Heck these lower courts were blocking Trumps mandates and not allowing him to run the country...usually for phony reasons as well.
Yeah, it's all important.

Pack the courts, you have to make hay while the sun is shining.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
also waiting on votes for Drieband and Clark

both of these two have the dems scared shitless

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Most people over look these district Judges and they are critically important.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Cocaine Mitch is absolutely CRUSHING it! Kudos to him.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
also waiting on votes for Drieband and Clark

both of these two have the dems scared shitless

Apparently they have both been confirmed today, Thursday 10-11-18.
https://www.metroweekly.com/20...vil-rights-division/

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
awesome

finally some conservative blood at the DoJ

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Way to go Senator McConnel! Personally, I’d have been a greedy dog and insisted that they confirm *every* nominee that PDJT has in the pipeline, but better the pound of flesh you can get than the three pounds (or ten or whatever) that you can’t.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

because Feinstein always acts in "good faith"

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
That individual has no idea what good faith is. The senate will be a better place when she leaves it, as will the earth.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Sorry, DiFi. What it means is that you have zero influence anymore, having squandered it in the Kavanaugh antics.

It takes 20 years to build a reputation, and about 6 weeks to destroy one.

Maybe you can leak those blue slips.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
"Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won. So I think on that one I trump you.” - President Barack Obama

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
DiFI can use her “Blue Slips” as Depends.

Fucking hag.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post