SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago CCW holder fires at carjackers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago CCW holder fires at carjackers Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
My guess is that she is going to be in a lot of trouble.

Link

A woman with a concealed carry permit opened fire on a man after an attempted carjacking Wednesday on the city’s Northwest Side, police said.

Officers responded to the scene in the 2400 block of West Ohio Street in the city’s West Town neighborhood about 5:35 p.m. A 41-year-old woman said she was driving northbound on Western Avenue when a gray sedan struck her vehicles, according to police. She pulled over to inspect the damage when an “unknown male” jumped in her car and fled, police say.

The woman told police she saw another person, also a male, hiding behind a garbage can, police said. The woman opened fire at some point during the incident with her registered concealed weapon, according to Chicago police.

In home surveillance footage that captured the incident, the woman can be seen examining her red SUV when two men get out of the sedan in front of her. One man gets in the red SUV’s driver’s seat and takes off—leaving the other man behind as he struggles with a passenger-side door. That man runs into a nearby alley.

Bridget Soldan witnessed the woman firing her weapon after the car was taken. “There was this girl in a bright yellow blazer pointing a gun into the alley,” she said, adding that the woman was “screaming” and “running around the street.”

Neighbors in the area told NBC 5 Friday they were concerned with the woman firing her weapon in the area.

“If she was truly protecting herself, I suppose she had a right,” said James, a father and resident who asked his last name not be used. “But any time a gun is discharged by someone who is not a professional, it’s definitely concerning.”

Another witness who asked not to be named said the victim opened fire "well after" her car was gone. She also reported hearing the woman demanding the man to show her his hands.

An investigation was ongoing Friday

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Its definitely concerning"
Well said.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming the above is correct and there is nothing more to the incident, her bread is toasted on one side. If she fired after the threat had stopped and the perp was running away, the other side of her bread is toasted as well. If she's white and it happened in Chicago, she should add jam. She's done and going to need a very good lawyer to put together a story of self defense. The video footage could be problematic.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh, Chicago. If she had a permit, she's connected and will likely face no charges. What's another stray round or two in Chicago anyway? Big Grin

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She fired at them AFTER they had taken her car and were fleeing.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Meh, Chicago. If she had a permit, she's connected and will likely face no charges. What's another stray round or two in Chicago anyway? Big Grin

Why would she be connected? Illinois is shall issue state. IMO quite the opposite as Chicago prosecutors are foaming at the mouth to prosecute those who break the law while CCW. IMO she is going to find herself in significant legal trouble including losing her CCW license and possibly FOID and rightfully so. She is very lucky she did not shoot some innocent bystander in such a crowded area.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Oh heck. How about she was struck with a deadly object which caused a dangerous cash. She was then almost struck when an assalient almost hit her with a stolen car. Seeing another assalient, she was in fear of her life and demanded the assalient stop and show his hands. He then refused. Fearful of her life and concerned the second assalient would return, she fired. She remembers little of the assault due to shock and injury. Current she has PTSD.
At least that's how I see a lawyer running it.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

At least this one was for good cause...

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
She would be screwed in Louisiana what that one and we have shoot the carjacker

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Doesn't 'gender' buy her a little sympathy in cases like this? Seems they go a little easier on the ladies.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It would be easier for Chicago if she was just killed by the carjackers.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
If she was truly protecting herself, I suppose she had a right,” said James, a father and resident who asked his last name not be used. “But any time a gun is discharged by someone who is not a professional , it’s definitely concerning.”

Oh my, "woe is me" for those in Chicago. Confused

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Oh heck. How about she was struck with a deadly object which caused a dangerous cash. She was then almost struck when an assalient almost hit her with a stolen car. Seeing another assalient, she was in fear of her life and demanded the assalient stop and show his hands. He then refused. Fearful of her life and concerned the second assalient would return, she fired. She remembers little of the assault due to shock and injury. Current she has PTSD.
At least that's how I see a lawyer running it.

Well, when you put it that way, I don't see the problem. Sure, it's easy to Monday morning quaterback. I don't know the standard in Illinois and I'm not a lawyer, but if I were on a jury and had to determime if she was reasonably in fear for her life or great bodily harm, I'd go with yes.

Two guys ram her car forcing her to stop. They then both attempt to steal her car, one is unsuccessful and still there. She opens fire on him. I'm good with that.

What is she supposed to do after having been violently assualted from the initial ramming? Ask the guy if he is injured or intends to do her any additional harm?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She'll be ok.
ASA's office is not pursuing charges at this point. It's happened a few times in the past and it's turned out alright for the good guy.

The "Bump-n-grab" is becoming more common for steeling cars here. It's only a matter of time till one of these Shit-birds gets what they deserve.

There was one about a month ago downtown, Lower Wacker dr. Shithead reached in the car to steal the man's cellphone. Goodguy let off a round. No charges on the goodguy, unfortunately bad guy got away...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
She'll be ok.
ASA's office is not pursuing charges at this point. It's happened a few times in the past and it's turned out alright for the good guy.

The "Bump-n-grab" is becoming more common for steeling cars here. It's only a matter of time till one of these Shit-birds gets what they deserve.

There was one about a month ago downtown, Lower Wacker dr. Shithead reached in the car to steal the man's cellphone. Goodguy let off a round. No charges on the goodguy, unfortunately bad guy got away...

That is surprising. Was she in any kind of danger? Seems to me like she is firing at a car that is being driven away. I don't see how that is justified. The story mentions that she saw someone in an alley. Unless they had a weapon, I wouldn't think that gives rise to a right to use deadly force.

I don't mind seeing thieves get what's coming to them, but this strikes me as irresponsible use of a firearm that presented a danger to innocents for no good reason.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is surprising. Was she in any kind of danger? Seems to me like she is firing at a car that is being driven away. I don't see how that is justified. The story mentions that she saw someone in an alley. Unless they had a weapon, I wouldn't think that gives rise to a right to use deadly force.

I don't mind seeing thieves get what's coming to them, but this strikes me as irresponsible use of a firearm that presented a danger to innocents for no good reason.

It does not help that the cops shot at a fleeing Jaguar a few months back and were heavily criticized as some saw it as reckless. IMO it depends on the current political climate in Chicago. Granted people are tired of all the bump and grab. I hope no charges are pursued but I would send her for some mandatory training in proper usage of a firearm.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like she was shooting at the guy in the alley and there is mention of her yelling, "show me your hands"... I would say her defense is she was in fear from the guy that got left behind....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post