SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lockheed's MHTK Missile System a Success
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lockheed's MHTK Missile System a Success Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted
The new Lockheed Martin Miniature-Hit-To-Kill(MHTK) missile system is a success.

https://www.defensemedianetwor...o-kill-mhtk-missile/

Lockheed Martin conducted a successful test of its Miniature Hit-to-Kill (MHTK) missile at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico, January 26, according to a company release. The test was the first for the missile’s updated electronics and a second test of its next-generation airframe. The Lockheed Martin-funded test demonstrated the airframe’s increased agility and validated the new electronics, both of which are now common to the two different MHTK configurations.

The pint-sized MHTK is being developed with both active and semi-active seekers but high commonality between the two configurations in order to increase affordability. The missile is meant to affordably protect ground troops from rocket, artillery, and mortar (RAM) threats. MHTK promises to deliver greater reliability, accuracy, and range than current systems on a smaller logistics footprint. The missile itself is less than 2.5 feet long and weighs approximately 5 pounds at launch. It lacks an explosive warhead and instead employs a highly agile hit-to-kill system that destroys its targets through kinetic energy.

“The U.S. Army and international customers have made it clear that today’s global security environment demands agile, close-range solutions that protect warfighters and citizens from enemy rockets, artillery and mortars. The design of the MHTK interceptor enables a highly effective solution in a very compact package,” said Tim Cahill, vice president of Integrated Air and Missile Defense at Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control. “This test is exciting because it is another successful milestone demonstrating the interceptor’s revolutionary capabilities. We look forward to building on this success.”

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Two and a half feet long and only five lbs. Eek

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I swear. Yesterday saw a uk story advising failed test. Don't have link handy

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I saw the same story about a failure

interesting. 30" and 5 pounds - I have model rockets about the same Big Grin

I wonder...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Give some to the Israelis, and they will work out the bugs for us (the next time their 'peaceful' neighbors start shooting rockets at Israel).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Two different missles, two different tests. The fail was an anti-missile missile in Hawaii.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
There was an anti-ballistic missile test failure in Hawaii reported a couple of days ago. You might be thinking of that one.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here it is....another MISS?? COME ON GUYS!!!

https://www.defensenews.com/br...rcept-hawaii-report/

https://www.defensenews.com/br...ntercept-test-fails/

Sailor error led to failed US Navy ballistic missile intercept test
A U.S. Missile Defense Agency investigation into a failed ballistic missile intercept test showed that a mistaken input into the combat system input by a sailor on the destroyer John Paul Jones caused the missile to self-destruct before reaching the target.

By: David B. Larter

My confidence is very low...false alarm, failed missile tests...just don't want to say at the lowest quite yet, a few more failed missile tests and I should be there. Seems "human error" creates some major problems on both the warning and defensive side of things...probably on the offensive as well (gulp).

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I wonder what the range is and is it laser or video guided etc. Probably still ultra secret.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems "human error" creates some major problems on both the warning and defensive side of things...probably on the offensive as well (gulp).

...."things won't be like this when our robot soldier friends take over".....[/sarcasm]

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post