Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars Login/Join 
posted
I don't know anything about binoculars and for the most part I want them to view Eagles that roost across the lake from my house. It's about 200 yards away but I would really like a good close up view of them.

If good quality can be done for under $300 all the better.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
These Hawke Endurance 8x42 and Athalon Argos 8x42s should meet your criteria.

https://www.bestbinocularsrevi...wards-2019.php#value

But if you want to really see what is happening, a spotting scope is the way to go. For your goal, you can use a tripod, which allows higher magnification. This Konus is a good value.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/...c0?variation=1439162

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
At that price I would look at Nikon. I would look at 8x42. 8x is great for that distance and you can hand hold steady pretty easily. Research how to adjust them to your eyes. Most people pull them out of the box and never set the diopter for your eyes. Makes a big difference.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Vortex, Nikon, Leopold and Steiner all make excellent binos in that price range. Go to Cabela's and try them all and pick the one that works best for you.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nikon or Vortex. Best bang for the buck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Nikon binoculars, I have a 8X42 and 10X50. But clear and bright.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Nikon Monarch 5 and the Vortex Diamondback HD. Both are available in 8x42. Both are in your price range. I also agree with the earlier suggestion about a spotting scope. I love the portability of my binoculars, but watching a beautiful eagle or osprey perched up high through a spotting scope mounted on a tripod is fun also.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Nikon or Vortex. Best bang for the buck.

This, more specifically Nikon Monarch or Vortex Diamondback. I personally would get a 10x42. In fact, I have owned both in 10x42 and currently have two pairs of the Vortex.

ETA: Amazon has both the 8x and 10x Vortex under $200.00

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-...la-555587276093&th=1

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome info. I now have the binoculars chosen. Thanks guys.

Has anyone used a spotting scope with a camera phone mount like they show or is it more of a gimmick. If I decide to go with a spotting scope what would be your choice in the same price range.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say that if 70 % of your viewing will be at home,
check out the spotting scopes on Amazon.

there are dozens between $250 and $300.00

I would want at least 12 power to 20 power optics for that distance,

and there is no way you are going to be able to hold steady for viewing .

60mm is minimum ,
some come with tripods , others with digi scanning equipment,
you are going to want pictures , eventually.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnel...%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-22

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There are two (maybe three) grades of Nikon Monarchs. They are all excellent in their price category.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There are two (maybe three) grades of Nikon Monarchs. They are all excellent in their price category.

Another vote for the Nikons

I have 8 x 42s and they are a great -- very sharp but not TOO expensive

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If you are going to view them from your deck or homestead, might I suggest a good spotting scope... the problem with Binoculars is the higher the power the harder they are to hold still on an object... that is why 8 power is the limit usually advised for boating...

first number on Binocs is the power then second is the size of the front lens... the bigger the second number the more light it takes in and the better they will be in low light... but the other part is the quality of the optics.. that is why Nikon was suggested... usually better glass.. then you could divest some savings and go even better with something like steiner.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'd save up and get a decent spotting scope, that's what I did when I lived in NJ and was watching Eagles on one of the reservoirs. I didn't go cheap, Pentax, but since moving West they've been out a lot.

Also, since you're viewing from home, a stable platform, consider 10x42s, I bought a pair of the Sig when they had a special, work out great in the back yard.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with both pairs of my 150 buck or so Leupolds. One 8 power and one 10 power. I use the 8x much more.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm happy with both pairs of my 150 buck or so Leupolds. One 8 power and one 10 power. I use the 8x much more.

at two hundred yards ?
watching targets the size of a legal pad?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Vortex makes a binocular mount for tripods, Amazon has them.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a well, optics guy, and I've been impressed by the value of Vortex since they first came out. The Viper line I consider as good as optics costing twice as much. I have a couple of their 8x42s.

With modern grinding and coating machines, it's not hard for even the Chinese to make a scope of equal quality to a Zeiss from 20 years ago for a tenth of the price.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
OP, if you have not already purchased. Here is a nice deal in your budget. They are a much better optic than a Vortex in that range.

As I said I prefer 8x over 10x. I own both btw.

https://www.rokslide.com/forum...diak-cub-max.134656/

I have owned a few Vortes optics. They are ok. I am not a fan and yes I know about their warranty.

There are much better optics out there is all the price ranges they offer optics in imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex is ok but has gone down hill in recent years, they still make some good stuff in the razor line. Back 10 years ago it seemed like cortex had a lot of products that were as good as products costing twice as much....not so much any more.

I think the viper HD 10x42 is a solid Bino, I’d take a look at the Zeiss conquest, that’s what I’m using mostly right now in 8x42.

You might look into those big athlons that just came out, I think they are 15x56 and throw them on a tripod, that would be a cool set up.

If you’re holding them with your hands I’d stick with 8-10x, if you’re going to sit behind them all day (hunting) id go with 8x.

Spotting scopes are nice but then the price really starts to jump up if you want quality and field of view.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post