SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Riding a horse bareback
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Riding a horse bareback Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
When I was a kid the family of my best boyhood friend lived a short distance from our home. They had a horse and a sizable pasture for it. A bridle too, but no saddle.

My friend and I rode it anyway. We’d lead the horse to an easily climbable tree in order to mount. We couldn’t control its gait very well, and the horse would often go into a trot. With no stirrups, that made for a jolting ride! I suspect that the horse knew of our discomfort,, and did it on purpose. Lots of fun anyway!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Did you mount on the left side?

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
We mounted from the top side. From an overhanging branch that was about the right height for that.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On hot days or longer jaunts I'm sure your pants acquired wet seats and inner leg areas. Ever get comments about why your pants were wet they way they were?
Wink

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just use plenty of sunscreen on those sunny days. Razz

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The stirrup was actually a history-changing invention, according to this Wikipedia article. The Indian (feather, not dot) horsemen of the Great Plains did manage bareback.

Posts: 27947 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
My daughter still loves to ride with no saddle or stirrups...She's a crazy horse girl though. It's the best way to develop a feel for the horse and a good seat. Here she is cantering thru the pasture on Pilgrim:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Just use plenty of sunscreen on those sunny days. Razz

At least a hat

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
My daughter still loves to ride with no saddle or stirrups.<snip>
Here she is cantering thru the pasture on Pilgrim:
<snip>

I’d bet that Pilgrim loves your daughter, and is very careful to avoid any move that might cause her to fall.

Serious about crackers

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Did it as a kid as well. If you had jeans on at the end of even a 1 mile ride, your jeans were wet with horse sweat, dirt and hair. But did have that nice horsey smell.

Doubt I could do it today.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I grew up with horses, my sister and I rode them bareback all the time. We had saddles and all the tack for the horse shows but around the farm that was too much work.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
My daughter still loves to ride with no saddle or stirrups.<snip>
Here she is cantering thru the pasture on Pilgrim:
<snip>

I’d bet that Pilgrim loves your daughter, and is very careful to avoid any move that might cause her to fall.

Yeah, Pilgrim is a good boy. He is pretty much retired now - just some light trails and the occasional ride around the farm with his girl. Here they were in 2016 when he was the national champion quarterhorse at the National Dressage Pony Cup:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Back when my wife and I first met (1991), she had a Belgian Draft horse. He was so gentle and laid back, I would go out to the pasture, lead him over next to a big rock, and belly flop onto his back. Rode bareback back to the barn where I could saddle him up for a trail ride.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Ever ridden one out into a lake for a swim? That is a unique sensation.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Back when my wife and I first met (1991), she had a Belgian Draft horse. He was so gentle and laid back, I would go out to the pasture, lead him over next to a big rock, and belly flop onto his back. Rode bareback back to the barn where I could saddle him up for a trail ride.

The thought of a trail ride on a Belgian Draft horse brings a smile to my face. Smile

Serious about crackers

Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I was always of the opinion the girls had much less discomfort the boys riding bareback
Knew a girl that had hores that understood the concept.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I remember doing it as a kid. We certainly fell off more. I was always afraid to hang on to the mane too tight.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I can ride one of my horses, Bodhi, without any gear. Not even a bridle or halter. The others still need some kind of head gear. I usually use a saddle pad though. Just to stay a little cleaner.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I worked with a young woman who would tell stories of her horse riding lessons. I don't remember much of her stories except for the time she related learning how to ride bareback. She said it was quite pleasurable and she said it with a satisfied smile.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
In my teen years I did some counseling at a summer camp where the main activity was riding. I rode all kinds of ways. Saddled, Pad only, and bareback. Even got to go swimming on a horse.

A few times I had to ride a belgian draft horse. He was so wide it was a whole different experience from most riding. Usually to clean hooves you can lean into a horses shoulder to get them to shift their weight. Trying to get the Belgian to move was like trying to move a brick wall with your shoulder.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post