SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Hosta (Plant) Experts Here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Hosta (Plant) Experts Here? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have 6 large Hosta plants in my back yard (planted by previous owner, so maybe 5-6 years ago?) along one side of a fence, it's a pretty shady area and these suckers come up FAST once spring starts. Two weeks ago they were barely 3-4 inches high and today they are nearly fully grown it seems and about 18 inches high already. They are the very dark-bluish green variety.

I planted 5 smaller, sun-resistant Hostas (light green with yellow) in front of my house in front of the porch 2 years ago and these things seem to be barely doing anything at all. They are maybe 3-4 inches high at most and I'm wondering if they are struggling or just slow growing? Do I need to help them along with fertilizer or anything? I also noticed they are starting to look a little chewed up already by slugs or something.

I'm a total noob when it comes to gardening.

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Deer and voles (small version of a mole) love hastas. The voles eat from underneath so they would be slow growing/die/etc.

We've had problems with both critters.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I have two different variety's and they come up 3-4 week apart.
Fertilizer wouldn't hurt to help them get established.

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with deer, eating my hostas, is equivalent to a lawn mower. Unless they taste bad (is there a deer resistant variety?) I don't think it would be a deer. Could be a rabbit doing a taste test. If the plant is under stress; I wouldn't fertilize; tends to put them under more stress by "forced growth". Investigate h2oys suggestion with the voles. If they're only 3-4" high; I don't think you can do them much harm digging them up and seeing what's happening underground.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I didn't think you could kill them. I have some in my yard that are over 40 years old.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
What is the water for source (quantity) for each location?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the front of your house gets too much sun.Even the more sun tolerant hostas can not take a lot of sun,especially afternoon sun for an extended period.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
What is the water for source (quantity) for each location?

We have been getting a ton of rain lately, in fact I wonder if they are getting too much as they come up?

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Now you need a la vista plant.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Maybe the front of your house gets too much sun.Even the more sun tolerant hostas can not take a lot of sun,especially afternoon sun for an extended period.

My experience as well is that they are more of a shade liking plant.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
There are dozens of Hasta varieties. They vary in size from about 4" high and leaves the same length to some that are easily 24" tall and leaves the size of Pizzas.

The wife collects the things. You just need to shop around to find what you're looking for.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of varieties in the front and back of the house. Some come up real fast, other take their time. Also, I've broken up a couple of the older ones to spread them out a bit. I've noticed that the ones I've broken off come up slower than the original plant.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My cat studies them intently. In your case, he is rather cryptic: The Wee Ones, he repeats ... ???

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^ That cat looks like a miniature panther. All black cats do to some degree but that one NAILS it!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
^^ That cat looks like a miniature panther.

He says, "Thank you" with his usual humble conceit.

A miniature panther without hunger for furry woodland creatures. There was a squirrel eating an apple core not two feet away this morning and the cat dinna budge.

He'll camp out under the hosta or a nearby juniper most of the summer, coming inside 5x a day for hard food and water.

My hosta leaps up also. About 24 days from just visible to fairly large this year.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Now you need a la vista plant.

I see what you did there Wink

I have both types of hostas you mention. Mine both are in a very shady wet area. The solid dark green leafed ones grow huge and fast. The light green with white rimmed leaf ones grow much slower and don't get nearly as tall.

No expert, I just stuck them in the ground a couple years back after splitting them for someone else's place. They are low maintenance and fit my needs.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
our shaded hosta's are slow coming up, this year as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post