SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Warm do You Keep Your House in the Winter (a poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Warm do You Keep Your House in the Winter (a poll) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So, not really looking for a temperature as much as a comfort range. We all have our "oh hell no" temp, but it's usually by feel, not by thermometer.

For me, light sweats (pajamas?) To pants with short sleeve shirt. My wife, she's good wrapped in a blanket (NOT my style)

Question:
What's the right temp range for you in the winter?

Choices:
Shorts and a tee shirt
Light pants/pajamas with a shirt
Regular sweats (tops and bottoms) with socks
Heavy sweats with thick socks (or equivalent)
Whatever prevents the heater from kicking on or wood being added to the fire.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear jeans and a short sleeve shirt of some kind year round. Thermostat is set to 62. Use a small space heater in the bedroom cause the heat doesn't reach there too good. It keeps it 64-66.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
I wear jeans and a short sleeve shirt of some kind year round. Thermostat is set to 62. Use a small space heater in the bedroom cause the heat doesn't reach there too good. It keeps it 64-66.

But if you needed to put on sweats to stay in your comfortable range, would you but up the temp to 70 to be back in a shirt or resign to sweats?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Heat with wood so some days it's 75 in the house when it's in the 40s outside.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I wear sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt or long sleeve sweater year-round. I cannot sleep with a short sleeve shirt on, even in the summer. My arms always get cold.

Thermostat is currently set to about 66/67 deg.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
You should have asked "what do you wear and what does your wife wear" 2 very distinctly different things.

Myself I am pajama pants and a tshirt or an issue sleep shirt

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Thermostat is set to 62.

Eek I'd shiver my narrow @$$ off!

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Set to 75 in the winter for heat.

Set to 74 in the summer for AC.

I’ll pay to be comfortable. Average gas bill each month $20.
Average electricity bill each month $10.
I love the Tesla solar system.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Regular sweats without socks.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
68 in the winter, attire is comfortable, light sweats and T-shirt, if the wood stove is running I shed stuff. Summer is usually 76-78 but it depends.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Heat is set to 67 at night.
Definitely can't sleep with it too warm. Rather colder & a heavy blanket.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Right now the thermostat is at 67, which keeps the bedroom at 61. Drafty 90 year old house. I sleep in a long sleeved tee shirt and shorts. When I’m not in bed I’m in street clothes, in winter that’s jeans and a flannel shirt.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I marked heavy sweats. I usually wear khakis or cargo pants with a hoodie sweatshirt. If it's under 50-45 degrees outside, I may add an additional thermal shirt under the sweatshirt.
Our thermostats are set at 68, 69, & 70 in winter, depending on which part of the house (3 separate hvac systems in house).
I'm just cold all the time. I used to love the cold weather when I was young, but I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 24, and 35 years later being cold most of the time has become one of the long term issues/results.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lined jeans, flannel, fleece or wool shirts and wool socks for evenings and weekends. My wife turns the heat up to 65-66 after I go to work.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I set the stat to 66° or so, or the electric bill in the winter is a little high. Before leaving for the day I put it back down to 60° to maintain a small amount of heat and not have to kick in the heat strips or whatever they are. I make up the difference with a hooded (keeping your head warm makes the rest of your body warm) sweatshirt or sweater.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or is there no way to vote in the poll?

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Out thermostat is set at 62. Around the house, I usually wear sweatpants with a t-shirt or sweatshirt.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I don't wear sweats. I also have very little body fat (~11%), so I don't have a lot of natural insulation. Thus, I keep the temperature between 68°-73° (I have a "smart" thermostat, so it adjusts per schedule), and usually wear a light sweater or fleece on top of a shirt and jeans.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Our thermostat is on 65. I’m sweating and the wife is bundled up in blankets.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
72 during waking hours, and jeans and short-sleeve shirt.
68 at night, 2 sheets on the bed, boxers and a Boxer dog.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post