SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sanibel/Fort Myers restaurants and other advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sanibel/Fort Myers restaurants and other advice needed Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I had to cancel my trip this summer because of the red tide, but I'm going this weekend for a few days. Are there any good Philly/NYC style pizza places near Sanibel or Fort Myers Beach?

I haven't eaten on Sanibel in years. Is the Island Cow still decent? Any other places I should try? What about near the causeway or Fort Myers Beach? Any fun things to do in those areas at night?

Lastly, are there No-See-Ums at Fort Myers Beach? I never had a problem in the past, but that could have been luck.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doc Fords is good. Either the one in Ft. Myers or Sanibel Island. Believe there's one on Captiva as well.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll try it out.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
If you don’t get a piece of cake at the Bubble Room, you haven’t really experienced Sanibel. Don’t eat a meal there. Just go for the cake.

The Cow is good, but +1 for Doc Ford’s!

Dunno about noseeums in Ft.Myers, but there are some swampy patches of “inland” Sanibel (Ding Darling comes to mind) where you can find mosquitos the size of small dogs if you try.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doc Fords is the winner, as far as good pizza, good luck, sorry

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am vacationing on the island right now and the restaurants have been pretty good although everything is fairly busy.

I would personally recommend Mad Hatter's which is located between Sanibel and Captiva. Never had a bad meal there, but it is more of a high end restaurant vs a place where you can sit around and have some beers for awhile.

Otherwise I would second Doc Ford's and add "Traditions on the Beach" which is on the west side of the Island.

The beaches are in great shape, have fun!

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget the stone crab claws! Yum.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 Doc Ford's. Il Cielo for a nice dinner out. Trader Store for a casual nice dinner. Lighthouse cafe for a diner breakfast. The Clam Shack for quick seafood lunch.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Been to the bubble room several times with kids. They usually love it. My wife and I used to go to a buffet down at the tip on Captiva at the resort.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It is good to hear the island is getting back to normal after the last few months. I figured pizza was a long shot. What cake should I get at the Bubble Room?

chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Doc Ford's is great and the cake at Bubble room is very good. The "Bubble Bread" and the Bubble Room is also very yummy.

Pizza is interesting, there is a hole in the wall place across (more or less) from the Red Coconut RV park that had great pizza....

The last time I was there was 5 years ago so I'm not sure if the place is even around any longer.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Outside of going to eat what is there to do at night on Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach? Time Square?

Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Ft Myers boat show going on this weekend if you're looking for something to do.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pinchers is a great raw bar that's in Fort Myers. I don't think there's much to do at night on Sanibel and Captiva......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I don't think there's much to do at night on Sanibel and Captiva......

That's one of the things I like about those islands. It makes for good family time. At least in my experience.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Pinchers is a great raw bar that's in Fort Myers. I don't think there's much to do at night on Sanibel and Captiva......

I'm staying in Fort Myers near the causway, so I'll probably head to FMB.