SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did I just ruin a pound of bacon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I just ruin a pound of bacon? Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
I unintentionally left a pound of bacon thawing out on the counter overnight . Forgot to put it in the refrigerator. The room was 66 degrees and the bacon was vacuumed packed. Do you think it’s safe to fry up and eat?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I bet it’s just fine. What time did you throw it on the counter last night?

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
What it thawed already or did it thaw during the night?
How much did it cost and is it worth making everyone sick?
Is it natural bacon or does it have nitrates added?

If it was still frozen and it has preservatives and you cook it crispy, it might be ok.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Me, personally, I would eat it, but I don't want to speak for you. You will have to use your own judgement in this regard.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It started out frozen (which is what I read from "thawing out") and was never unsealed? It's fine.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Food poisoning isn't something I'd play with. The toxins the bacteria release are what make you sick and you can't cook that out. Up to you though.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d cook and eat it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Cook it and it will be fine. I'm sure of this.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Started frozen and sat out all night, I’d eat it.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I agree with the majority here.
It should be fine. If it tastes bad, throw it out but it should be OK.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Wife says to cook it and eat but cook it all, as long as vacuum seal not broken.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Food poisoning isn't something I'd play with.

Word.

Consider how much a pound of bacon costs... ~$5.

Is it worth the risk just to save $5?

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Probably fine but I always ask myself, is this worth being up all night hurling my guts out? The answer is almost always no. When in doubt...

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
You decide, but I’d cook it and eat.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I cook bacon till its crispy. I cook low and slow so most fat is rendered out. That's the way my family likes it. Kids dont like the fatty parts when they are still rubbery.

I wouldn't hesitate but if you cook it less than that I'd reconsider.

These threads frequently come up and we never find out what happens.

If you do eat it and everything is fine let us know. If you spend the afternoon on the toilet crapping all day post from the thone.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I bet it's fine but the potential for vomiting and shitting my brains out for 24 hours isn't worth the $5.

I've had serious food poisoning before and I'd pay a lot more than $5 to avoid it.

However, if you do cook it, COOK it like GA Gator says. Crispy as hell (the way I like it) with zero rubbery fatty parts.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Wife says to cook it and eat but cook it all, as long as vacuum seal not broken.

This. If it remained sealed the entire time and you cook it all at once, you should be fine.

I'm a wimp. I'd just throw it away, 1/2 because grocery store is walking distance and it's only $8, second because it was frozen. I'm weird, I don't like frozen meat.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post
It was frozen solid, set it out around 9:00 PM...it was 8:00 this morning when I realized what I had done. It had a coolness about it...slightly cooler than other things on the counter.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Based on what you've said, I'd cook and eat it. It will be fine.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Food poisoning isn't something I'd play with.

Word.

Consider how much a pound of bacon costs... ~$5.

Is it worth the risk just to save $5?

Absolutely agreed. Anyone who has had true food poisoning will attest that saving a few dollars isn't worth the risk.

Back about 20 years ago I got it, bad. 2 visits to the ER for dehydration from days of throwing up and diarrhea. How do I know it was food poisoning? Every person but one (who never got sick) on my shift at work (EMS) had the same food, from the same place and all became ill within hours of each other. Litteraly our shift went from 3 MICU's (Advanced Life Support Ambulance) and a Medic Squad (single ALS provider in a Chevy Suburban) down to just the Medic Squad and that guy scrambling to call people in early. Thank god it was a quiet night shift. Work suffered though as 3 full crews were out of service for several days.

I throw food out left and right because frankly, it isn't worth the risk.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post