SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did I just ruin a pound of bacon?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I just ruin a pound of bacon? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
I unintentionally left a pound of bacon thawing out on the counter overnight . Forgot to put it in the refrigerator. The room was 66 degrees and the bacon was vacuumed packed. Do you think it’s safe to fry up and eat?

Oh my, I have done this and went through the mental gymnastics before. The deal is, I think, with bacon it wll be great, because it is salt cured, it will be fine.
Get the most sensitive smeller, haha, in your family to smell it. If it has no off smell, fry and eat.
Really, it is pretty forgiving, after all, I used to see my Mom shave mold off the edge of bacon, and have never heard anything that might hurt you, other than a long period in a very hot place, then you would have a decidedly rotten smell.
I will stop now, because I realize some younger, more refined fellers might think it is beyond redemption.
I am telling you not so. Matter of fact, you could leave it another day and night and still be good.
Really and truly.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Cook ALL of the Bacon....And then promptly Eat ALL of the Bacon! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8869 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being right will save you $8 in bacon and you get to eat bacon.

Being wrong will cost you $8 in toilet paper.

I'd save the blown out O-ring.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Sooooo.....did you eat it or not? We need closure!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
He doesn't have internet in the bathroom.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on man, it ain't tater salad, or cole slaw. Eat it and be victorious.

posted Hide Post
Good crispy bacon.
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/95gHjoIYvKs [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I eat at Magoos. Pretty sure that bacon would have no effect on me.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post
No vomiting, no diarrhea...not even a fart. The wife and I are doing just fine...the bacon was delicious.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aw, I love happy endings. Good on ya.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:
Aw, I love happy endings. Good on ya.

Indeed!

A day and a half to get back to us???

We were worried Wink

BACON!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
No vomiting, no diarrhea...not even a fart. The wife and I are doing just fine...the bacon was delicious.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

It is true and you posted a link that supports it. The spores don't make you sick, the toxin does. The toxin is destroyed at 180°F which is why boiling such food works to destroy the toxin.

How does heat destroy the toxin? It is probably different, but the toxins in algae blooms that impact drinking water from time to time can't be boiled out. Heck, they can't even filter it out in most cases.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Toxin implies a poison that was biologically produced. Many consist of peptides or fully formed proteins, both of which can be denatured by heat. If the 3 dimensional structure is irreversibly changed, then the toxicity may be significantly lessened or eliminated because it won't bind in the same way or to the same thing.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^^What he said. The toxin is a protein. Like I said in an earlier post, I looked for about 10 minutes. I'm not any kind of expert. I read information from CDC, WHO, and Ohio State to come to my conclusion.

There's a wealth of knowledge on the forum and I learn from it everyday.

Sometimes people make statements that just seem off or don't pass the smell test, so I look them up to further my own understanding. For example, this product is "chemical free" and yet the main ingredient is water. I don't believe calling something a chemical automatically makes it bad.

Same goes for bacteria. There's plenty of good bacteria that we can't live without and of course there are others that can kill us. When it was posted that while cooking kills the bacteria, but not the toxins, I figured this was something I should know more about.

It's a discussion and my goal is never to prove anyone wrong or myself right, but rather to further my own understanding of whatever topic is that I'm interested in. I'm wrong quite a bit, it's how I learn.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^^^^What he said. The toxin is a protein. Like I said in an earlier post, I looked for about 10 minutes. I'm not any kind of expert. I read information from CDC, WHO, and Ohio State to come to my conclusion.

There's a wealth of knowledge on the forum and I learn from it everyday.

Sometimes people make statements that just seem off or don't pass the smell test, so I look them up to further my own understanding. For example, this product is "chemical free" and yet the main ingredient is water. I don't believe calling something a chemical automatically makes it bad.

Same goes for bacteria. There's plenty of good bacteria that we can't live without and of course there are others that can kill us. When it was posted that while cooking kills the bacteria, but not the toxins, I figured this was something I should know more about.

It's a discussion and my goal is never to prove anyone wrong or myself right, but rather to further my own understanding of whatever topic is that I'm interested in. I'm wrong quite a bit, it's how I learn.

Agree. I'm obviously not an expert either, but I like to learn. I just remember what a chef friend told me.

It made me curious in regards to other possible applications, like the algae bloom toxin issue from a few years ago in the Midwest. It would be nice to know if boiling the water would destroy that toxin as well.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post