SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Senior lifetime national park passes going up in August
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senior lifetime national park passes going up in August Login/Join 
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I looked up the address for the local BLM office and was surprised to find that it is less than 5 miles from me.

I went over today and was helped immediately by a nice lady who explained how to use the Hang Tag along with the credit card sized permit card which you must sign on the back in her presence.

She also explained that for open top cars and motorcycles, they have decals available that you can apply to your motorcycle to prevent theft.

Overall, a smoking deal, and I thank you for the "Heads-UP"! $10.00 in person at the counter... in and out in less than 15 minutes!

Thanks again!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my card for several years and was not issued a hang tag when I received it. Is here any advantage to the tag? I have always had to show id and the card when entering a park.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had business in the Cape Canaveral area yesterday and remembered this thread, so I stopped at the National Park office in Titusville.

They are nice enough to put a "no firearms" decal on the door. Roll Eyes

The street entrance to the visitors' lobby was locked. I rang the bell and a (not very) nice lady came to the door and grumpily let me in, whereupon I followed her to a counter. She took her seat behind the counter and asked in a very (un)friendly tone what I wanted. I told her that I would like to buy a senior lifetime pass.

She informed me that the passes were not sold in that office and I would have to go to a park. With a bit of difficulty, I extracted directions to the nearest park and she finally yielded a park visitor map. It looked like about ten minutes, so I drove across the bridge and out to the park.

The agent at the "welcome" booth was helpful, just the opposite of the office woman. He noticed the wheelchair-embossed license plate on my vehicle and after asking to see my MediCare card he declined to sell me a ten dollar senior lifetime pass. Instead, he gave me an Access Pass, which he told me had the same privileges as the senior lifetime pass, but instead of ten bucks it was free.

It allows free park access for four adults and as many kids as you can cram into the car. I told him "Looks like we're gonna need a bigger vehicle." It took him a second or two for that to register, then he started laughing loudly enough that another agent appeared to see what was going on.

The downside? While I was standing at the window getting the pass, a bunch of somethings, deer flies maybe, found me, and started biting my legs. Note to self: Walmart. DEET

'Nother thing, previous posters have mentioned a hang tag. None was offered to me, nor did I think to ask about it. Do I need one?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
The nice lady yesterday wrote the serial number of the actual credit card sized pass on the face of the Hang Tag.

She then pointed out the line on the back of the pass and had me sign it. Then she pointed out that the card is to be placed in the diagonal cuts in the hang tag such that the signature and serial number on the card are displayed.

The hang tag is then to be hung from the inside rearview mirror, or displayed face up on the driver's side of the dashboard.

If you have an open top auto or a motorcycle, they have a decal you may obtain to do away with the need to display the hang tag inside the vehicle... as I understand it, there is no additional charge for the decal.

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. Online was $20, worth the price.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an interagency pass. You can buy it at USFS ranger stations and BLM offices too. The best part about that is that it is not just valid at US National Parks, but at any USDA and BLM facility, including recreational areas contracted to third parties. Near here it means that the wife and I get in to Rocky Mountain National Park for free, and get into the Brainerd Lakes National Recreational Area along the Peak to Peak for nothing.

If you are 62 or better, jump right on it at any USDA or BLM or Park Service office.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
It's a shame it being jacked so high. I bought my lifetime pass back in 2009 for $10.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
^^^ I agree about the cost.

If I remember correctly, I turn 62 this November. <Maxwell Smart> Only missed it by this much.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I was at the Cape Cod National Seashore yesterday (Friday 5/19). Since I had seen this thread, I figured I should get a pass.
Went to the Salt Pond Visitor Center in Eastham and got the lifetime pass in five minutes from the very friendly Rangers.
And, it only cost $10. I was expecting to pay $20.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
^^^ I agree about the cost.

If I remember correctly, I turn 62 this November. <Maxwell Smart> Only missed it by this much.
Post-date the check. You'll be fine. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I read the fine print and it says non-transferable so I assume that means my wife needs her own if she wants to go w/out me. Wonder if they do check photo ids? I had to enclose a jpeg of my dl with my application.

I also renewed my Indiana fishing license and was able to go for the lifetime for $17, same price as an annual. Smile

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
After much frustration with a certain NHS on the CT River, I found you can also get them from the Corps of Engineers at the Hopkinton Dam. Very limited hours, but just off one of my usual travel routes. Wife and I each got one for $10 @ in less than 5 minutes.

I have already clued a couple of other people in about the ease of obtaining and the price increase. My new friend in Hopkinton will sell more I'm sure.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
It's a shame it being jacked so high. I bought my lifetime pass back in 2009 for $10.

Still a great deal. Lots of parks sweeten the pot by giving discounts on camping or tour fees.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I read the fine print and it says non-transferable so I assume that means my wife needs her own if she wants to go w/out me.
That is correct. I asked that question when I got my pass and the ranger told me that my wife is covered when we are together (up to four adults, total, and as many kids as you can stuff into the vehicle), but she would need her own pass if I was not with her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Utah has a state park pass, too. If you're a senior it's half price, $35.00. Well worth it for residents or someone traveling through and visiting the parks.

Maybe other states have the same for seniors?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have a pass. We were going to use it a week ago to go to the Grand Canyon, but I could not find any info on their gun policy. All the parks have different policies and I did not want to get arrested for having guns in the park.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
My wife and I have a pass. We were going to use it a week ago to go to the Grand Canyon, but I could not find any info on their gun policy. All the parks have different policies and I did not want to get arrested for having guns in the park.

As I understand it the gun regulations for National Parks are the same as the state it's situated in.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:

As I understand it the gun regulations for National Parks are the same as the state it's situated in.

Guns are legal in all National Parks but you need to follow the laws of the state you're in.
If a state does not allow carrying/transporting guns it would not be legal in a NP.

Also, visitor centers are federal buildings, no guns. Hard to remember this sometimes.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Utah has a state park pass, too. If you're a senior it's half price, $35.00. Well worth it for residents or someone traveling through and visiting the parks.

Maybe other states have the same for seniors?

What comes with the annual pass for non-seniors for $70/year? There are a lot of other fees, too. I wonder which if any of those are included?

I think it only covers the entry fee, I'll check the next time I visit one.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I read the fine print and it says non-transferable

I paid the $80 for a one year pass the other week. There are two lines for signatures on it. Two people can use it to get their vehicle and occupants into a park.

The Lifetime Pass has only one signature line?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post