SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Senior lifetime national park passes going up in August
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senior lifetime national park passes going up in August Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
Anyone 62 or older who has need of a lifetime national park pass, the price is going up to $80 sometime after July 31st. The current price is $10 in person at a National Park Service office, $20 online from the USGS. The backlog for online purchases is described as 10 weeks or more. Passes are also available at some BLM offices (not sure of the price from BLM).

The current price for those under the age of 62 is $80/year.

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

List of locations that issue the passes:

https://store.usgs.gov/sites/d...PassIssuanceList.pdf

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
So close and yet so far, only 59 here. Darn.

Still a good deal though at $80 for life.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I sending the info to my parents.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
So close and yet so far, only 59 here. Darn.

Still a good deal though at $80 for life.
Agreed, thats 3-4 single entry passes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Evidently it is common for people to break into vehicles to take the lifetime pass hang tag.

If the lifetime pass or hang tag are lost or stolen, it will cost $80 after July 31st to replace it. The local Forest Service office said they are not ordering more passes in until after July 31st when their current supply is gone.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Evidently it is common for people to break into vehicles to take the lifetime pass hang tag.
Why? NPS always asks for a photo ID along with the pass when you go through a Park gate. Never saw a "hang tag" either; are we talking about the same thing?

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
We both just made 62 this spring and will use them.
I think we will make the 50 mile road trip and pick one up in person.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Why? NPS always asks for a photo ID along with the pass when you go through a Park gate. Never saw a "hang tag" either; are we talking about the same thing?

No idea, just know what we were told today by a Forest Service supervisor. There is a hang tag and the card. I believe they are used for different purposes, but we have not used them yet. Maybe the hang tags only get stolen here in Utah? That would seem strange. YMMV.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Why do we have to pay for access to land that was supposedly held by the tax-payer funded government for the public??

Per their website...

"Summary of Changes
Operation of the National Park System – The proposed FY 2016 funding level for this appropriation,
which supports the operation of the nation's parks, the preservation and protection of the precious
resources contained within, and the provision of recreational opportunities and enjoyment of these
resources by current and future visitors is $2.5 billion, reflecting a net increase of $239.4 million over the
FY 2015 enacted level, consisting of a series of targeted programmatic increases totaling $213.4 million
and fixed cost increases totaling $25.3 million."

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

...Never saw a "hang tag" either; are we talking about the same thing?

This shows the hang tag and other items you get for your $20:

https://store.usgs.gov/product/209290

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Sigmund, for posting that link.

Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, I'll be going right by the issuing office tomorrow so I'll grab one.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I'm grateful some of you who didn't know about this are going to be able to get your passes. I heard about this last year, but I thought the deadline had passed.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good tip. Thanks.

Looks like the pass allows everyone in your vehicle free access as well and discounts on other fees or a boat launch, etc.

Pretty darn good deal for ten bucks.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went to a nearby Federal Bldg and BLM office and pick one up for $10 for Lifetime Senior Pass.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Nor-cal | Registered: May 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've had mine 11 years and it's almost worn out!
I think I'll go get a backup while they're still $10.00.

These passes cover National Monuments, Recreation Areas etc. They also get you a discounted entry to other areas. One of the few perks of getting old.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this.

I'm a ways from being able to take advantage of the pass combined with the fact that we actually only have one national park in Oregon. But hey, it's a doozie for all who have never been. Crater Lake is an absolutely stunning place.

I do get around and have been fortunate enough to visit many other national and state parks across this great land. Get out and explore!

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
There is also a lifetime pass for those with a permanent disability. The disability does not have to be 100%. It is called an access pass, and it is free if picked up in person, $10 if ordered by mail.

https://store.usgs.gov/sites/d...pass_application.pdf

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Be sure to call ahead!

1. You want to be sure they have the passes in stock.
2. You want to be sure the person trained to sell them is working that day.

Ask me how I know. Roll Eyes

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I ordered mine online and paid the extra $10.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post