SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A "Thank You" to the Lake County Sheriff's Office
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A "Thank You" to the Lake County Sheriff's Office Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
So, I live in Lake County Florida. County roads out in the boonies are typically 55 mph. Typically county residents use all of that, and sometimes a little more. This gets to be a problem when you are coming into town, and I was headed into Clermont.

I'm barreling up a hill toward a 90 degree turn, when a large man dressed all in green steps out from behind a parked car and points me to the side.

"Good morning!" says I at my cheeriest.

"Hello Sir," says he; "Any reason you accelerated to 50 in a 25 coming up that hill?"

"Nope. None I can think of."

"License and registration, please."

"My license is in that bag down there. You ok if I reach down and get it?"

"Is there anything I should be worried about in the bag?"

"Yup. There's plenty in the bag for you to worry about, but I'm not going to touch it, and it's in a different pocket than my license."

"Ok; I thought I saw a pistol grip down there. Got a permit for it?"

"Yup, I'll give you that with the license."

I proceed to had over my stuff and he looks at my license.

"You served. Which branch?"

"Army, 3d Infantry Division, back when they were in Germany."

"Neat. Good time to be in."

He looks at my license, and apparently checks the computer for outstanding warrants. In about 40 seconds, he's back at my window.

"Thanks for your service. I only give one freebie. If I see you here again, it will cost you. Have a nice day and drive safely."

"Thanks officer. I appreciate the consideration. Have a great day."

That one would have been expensive as hell; maybe even a court appearance. I really appreciate him letting me off, as he had me dead to rights.

Thanks LCSO. I haven't forgotten, and am behaving myself where the speed limits transition.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
You lucky dog!

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Indeed!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This, Gentlemen, is how you turn the negative contact of an ordinary traffic violation into a positive contact.
There are those who need to be cited and those who don't. Knowing the difference is an art.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
This, Gentlemen, is how you turn the negative contact of an ordinary traffic violation into a positive contact.
There are those who need to be cited and those who don't. Knowing the difference is an art.

Or, in this case, an ArtieS.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A lifetime of responsible mostly sober law-abiding good citizenship pays off once more!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So, you're saying that he offered you leniency in exchange for sexual favors?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I proceed to had over my stuff and he looks at my license."You served. Which branch?"

Do Florida driver's licenses indicate military service?

Posts: 9039 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've generally been well-treated by officers in similar situations. Probably better than I deserved.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
The day before my grandfather passed, I was on my way to see him, knowing time was short. I was hauling ass out in Lake Nona (for those who don't know, the VA has a new facility out in this area of Orlando) and got jammed up by OPD in a speed trap. I was also doing about 50 in a 25. It was one of those where the wave 3 or 4 offenders over at a time, the motors guys generate some revenue for the city, and they send you on your way. Mr Motors, who wasn't much for conversation, asked for my credentials and nothing else. Came back with my credentials and a warning, then told me to get going, I thanked him for being kind and now I watch my speed on that road.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
I proceed to had over my stuff and he looks at my license."You served. Which branch?"
Do Florida driver's licenses indicate military service?
If you are currently serving or if you have served in the past and are separated under honorable conditions, you have the option of having a 'V' on the lower right corner of your Florida Driver License.

After my cataract surgery and lens implants I no longer needed glasses for driving, so I stopped in at the DMV to have my license reissued with the eyeglasses restriction removed. I brought a copy of my DD-214 with me and they added the Veteran indicator.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post