SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fire Ant warning for you Alabamians!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire Ant warning for you Alabamians! Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Marshall TX holds a Fire Ant festival every year, including a chili cook-off, fire ant calling contests, and other festival like stuff, including a parade.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
They are terrible in SC. I constantly battle them. I'd like to get in a canoe with a flame thrower and paddle around the floodwaters looking for them...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As noted prior, the stinging irritant is formic acid. You can kill the shit out a mound by pouring 40% hydrogen peroxide solution on the little bastards. The acid-base chemical reaction explodes the bastards to death as they turn into steam from the inside out. Being a liquid, HP will penetrate the mound to kill the eggs, and as the little bastards evacuate you can pour the HP right on them.

You can buy 40% hydrogen peroxide solution at the beauty supply store, or maybe at a big box store in the ladies hair care aisle.

It is extremely satisfying to watch fire ants pop and wisp away as steam. And the HP degrades to water so there is no chemical residue.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
As noted prior, the stinging irritant is formic acid. You can kill the shit out a mound by pouring 40% hydrogen peroxide solution on the little bastards. The acid-base chemical reaction explodes the bastards to death as they turn into steam from the inside out. Being a liquid, HP will penetrate the mound to kill the eggs, and as the little bastards evacuate you can pour the HP right on them.

You can buy 40% hydrogen peroxide solution at the beauty supply store, or maybe at a big box store in the ladies hair care aisle.

It is extremely satisfying to watch fire ants pop and wisp away as steam. And the HP degrades to water so there is no chemical residue.

can you buy that stuff by the tanker truck load?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think our drill instructors knew where every single mound was on Paris Island, and would drop us right on top of them to do push ups or leg lifts.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
fire ant calling contests

Am I wrong in assuming there is alcohol involved for participants and judges? Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
fire ant calling contests

Am I wrong in assuming there is alcohol involved for participants and judges? Smile

Copious amounts.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
Fire ants sting contains Formica acid, if you can apply a base soon after the sting you will neutralize the acid and stop the reaction and most of the pain. Ammonia is a base, that is what is in the product "After Bite" it destroys the acid and reduces the reaction, but you have to apply it before the swelling walls off the acid. An old Doctor told me if you get fire ant bites and it blisters up pop the blisters and apply ammonia or baking soda to neutralize the acid, then apply a antibiotic ointment to lessen the chance of infection. Hope this helps.

Here on the farm we carry small bottles of the stuff with us all summer and I keep a full bottle in the tractor tool box. By the way the ammonia works good on bee and wasp stings too.

Unfortunately, nasty critter don't hardly do them justice. Vile critter is more like it. This wet weather they will nest anywhere. Last week I picked up a pair of bolt cutters I had been using building fence the day before and they had built a nest in the handle under the rubber grip. First time I knew something was wrong was when my gloves was black with them. Managed to get the glove off and away before being stung.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
A buddy and I were in the backyard tonight telling stories and having a few. We were standing within the landscaped yard when both of us got nailed by multiple fire ants. He probably got hit 10 times.

The closest flammable thing I could get my hands on was a can of mineral spirits. That was satisfying.

I'll find some hydrogen peroxide tomorrow though...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Here in NW Houston area I have learned when standing in grass to constantly be looking at my feet and others if they are around. Every patch of grass, turf, dirt is suspect for these little bastards.

Interesting to read about the 40% HP. I like the mental image that was painted in the post above.

Ants and mosquitos I keep trying to find the ecologic benefit of them but thus far have not found it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I learned the hard way about these little buggers when I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Birmingham. I liked to kick ant hills... until they fought back.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post