SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fire Ant warning for you Alabamians!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire Ant warning for you Alabamians! Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
Ah hell no! Me, I'll take spiders any day over fire ants! I hate them little bastards! Every time one bites me I kill every fire ant in my yard! They don't even have to bite me for me to kill them!

Alabama officials are warning residents to be on the lookout for mounds of floating fire ants that could form in floodwaters as Tropical Storm Cindy makes its way inland. 

The Alabama Cooperative Extension System said in a warning Wednesday that the floodwaters will not kill the state's invasive fire ant population. The ant colonies can emerge from the soil and band together in a loose ball, which can float on the surface of the water.
"Floating colonies can look like ribbons, streamers or a ball of ants floating on the water," the statement said. "These amoeba-like masses contain all of the colonies’ members—worker ants, brood (eggs, larvae, pupae), winged reproductive males and females, and queen ants." 
And while it may sound like something out of a horror movie, floating fire ants often happen after flooding events. In October 2015, after a 1-in-1,000-year event ravaged South Carolina, several photographers captured what appeared to be mounds of floating fire ants. Months earlier, following deadly flooding in Texas, residents also reported seeing droves of ants in flooded yards.
The red imported fire ant is known for its bite, which can cause small blisters that burn and itch. The Alabama Cooperative Extension System warned people to avoid the floating mounts at all cost, and not to touch the mounds with oars or any items that the ants could attach to. 
In a 2015 interview, Tim Davis, an entomologist and Clemson University senior extension agent, told USA TODAY the floating technique by fire ants has been used for eons to escape flooding and migrate long distances. 
In under two minutes, fire ants can link together to assemble floating rafts, Davis told USA TODAY Network.
“If the water rises, they kind of all grab a hold of each other, and they can do this for several days, until they reach higher ground,” Davis said.  
Davis said it's not uncommon to come across the rafts of floating ants, and said they have even been found indoors after a flooding event. He said it's important for people to stay out of the flood waters and avoid the masses of ants at all cost. 
“If one of those rafts comes in contact with you, or you try to break it apart, it will likely disperse and crawl up you," he said. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...6S?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
So what you're saying is, Alabama needs to be set on fire?

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

It's too wet to burn right now.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Bite or sting?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Bite and sting.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pretty much!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Kill It With Fire!!!

Or

Nuke It From Orbit... It's The Only Way To Be Sure!!!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
quote:

2 words.....WHITE PHOSPHORUS

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Willy Pete will burn all the way to the bottom of the ocean! Or so I've been told. Should work on fire ants!

Beth Greene

Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
That's...

kind of horrifying.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spray bottle with gas, instant death!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they are nasty little bastids.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
This is why I am glad I live in a state that has something akin to a real winter. I sure as hell don't want those little bastards up here. Eek

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
quote:

That's the damn truth!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Perfect time to scorch the entire colony while its out in the open. Spray the raft with kerosene & ignite!

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We're downhill from Alabama. So that's how those damn fireants ended up here in the panhandle!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Bite or sting?
Yes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
they bite and hold on, and then spin in a circle with their head in the center - stinging you as they go around...

If they don't get smushed, you'll see a characteristic circle of spots around the bite...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Asian needle ants are another bad one.

In both cases, they might bite to get a grip, but the venom comes from a sting.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fire ants sting contains Formica acid, if you can apply a base soon after the sting you will neutralize the acid and stop the reaction and most of the pain. Ammonia is a base, that is what is in the product "After Bite" it destroys the acid and reduces the reaction, but you have to apply it before the swelling walls off the acid. An old Doctor told me if you get fire ant bites and it blisters up pop the blisters and apply ammonia or baking soda to neutralize the acid, then apply a antibiotic ointment to lessen the chance of infection. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post