SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodworker advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodworker advice needed Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I'm installing a garbage can drawer-pullout in my RV. It used to have 12" wide trash compactor in the space, that died. Nobody is now making a realistically priced 12" trash compactor that I could replace the old one with.
My solution was to remove the trash compactor and replace it with a simple garbage can that rides in a pull out type drawer. I need to make a cabinet front for the front of the cabinet drawer.
All the other appliances (Refrigerator,dishwasher,microwave,sink faucet,) are Stainless.

I built a door front out of 3/4" plywood and glued a stainless front panel to it. My problem now is the 3/4"edging
I planned to glue a Stainless edge along the border, I plan to use a 3m stainless tape.
My problem is the edge of the plywood is not completely smooth, its rippled.
I would like to use a filler to fill the cavities in and then sand to a smooth Finnish so the edge tape will not show any imperfections.

What would be a good filler that will adhere to the plywood end grain and be sandable to a smooth finish?

Posts: 4624 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Sanding what you have would give the best finish. Pull the stainless off and sand the dimension slightly smaller than the stainless so the edging is not proud.

That said, I use J-B WELD Epoxy Putty.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The stainless front panel is glued down with contact cement, it ain't going anywhere now.
I will get the JB.
Thanks.

Posts: 4624 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When I took the mortice lock out of my 1920s row house front door and jammed in a Dutchman patch of sorts, I bedded it in the JB and made it puffy sticking out. Smoothed it with a slick credit card, then waited.

It took three days to harden nice enough for sanding but a week would have been better for full curing. The label says nothing about cure times, just "paintable within an hour".

https://www.jbweld.com/product...mium-epoxy-putty-kit

https://americantoolbox.files....2014/09/dscf0316.jpg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post