SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    July 28, 1945 – B-25 crashes into the Empire State Building
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July 28, 1945 – B-25 crashes into the Empire State Building Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a crazy story, no doubt.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This incident was the first thing that crossed my mind when the first plane hit the WTC on 9/11.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
This incident was the first thing that crossed my mind when the first plane hit the WTC on 9/11.

Yeah, me too. Then I saw the clear blue sky and knew something sinister was at play. . .

The B-25 crashed in heavy fog with zero visibility.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Think about being one of the guys building this scaffolding at the 78-79 floors above the ground..

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 6 years old when that happened and remember hearing about it on the radio.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Apparently, a woman who was in the elevator at the time, plummetted something like 70 stories when the cable got severed, but managed to survive and still holds the world record for surviving in an elevator fall from so high. The super long cable stacked up in the elevator tube and slowed/cushioned the elevator car as it fell.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Me too.
Even though the event was way before my time, I had heard the story.
I'm surprised this didn't happen more often during the earlier years of aviation.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
There was an interesting book written about that flight and the crash. Unfortunately I don't remember the title.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post