SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Checking a credit report ?????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checking a credit report ????? Login/Join 
posted
I recently applied for a loan and was told by the bank I have an outstanding bill on my credit report, the amount is near nothing, and I don't remember getting any billing statement from a creditor. I always pay my bills on time and have an excellent credit score. The bank could not tell me who/when/where it was from as it was not listed on the report and they were confused as to what it was. The bank referred me to try Equifax as that is who they use. Has anyone used Equifax or who/what is a good company to find out info. from? Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bank could not tell me who/when/where it was from as it was not listed on the report

How can there be a "report" on your report but no report about who's reporting it?

One of my credit cards lets me run my report once a month at no cost. Prior to that I used Myfico.com which I had to pay for. Each agency has to provide you with a free copy, but you have to do that footwork yourself.

If it was on Equifax I would contact them, get a copy, and dispute whatever it is.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the website to use to pull your credit reports for free, no strings attached:

www.annualcreditreport.com

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Annualcreditreport.com

The government mandates that each of the credit reporting bureaus give you one free credit report annually (report, not score. Scores can cost extra.)

The above link is the portal that the government set up to make access to your reports easy.

Each of the reporting agencies mostly show the same data, but not always the case. I would check the one that your bank tells you they checked, then check the others each 4 months apart. If you spread it out, you can check your credit 3 times a year for weird account activity for free.

I also use CreditKarma for a simulated score and summary, and several of my credit cards offer scores and reports periodically. Between all the services, you should be able to pin down all credit activity and scores just about any time you are wondering.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the CreditKarma App. Super easy to use, I think its only an approximation of your score but it shows all open accounts etc...

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I suggest you use www.creditkarma.com. It's free to use and they have pretty extensive information including scores from Transunion and Equifax. You can even dispute Transunion on their website.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If patw pays off the bill, doesn't is still stay on the credit report?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you pull your credit report from Equifax, you can file a dispute regarding information that is incorrect. I have done this and it worked with no issues.

https://www.equifax.com/personal/disputes/

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
If patw pays off the bill, doesn't is still stay on the credit report?

Yes, but.....

He said they didn't know who it was reporting it because that data was absent. You can't pay if you don't know who they are. The agencies also have a duty to verify information is accurate if it is disputed.

Dispute it, have it removed, and it will no longer be hanging around to impact your score.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KurtZ66
posted Hide Post
Did the bank you applied for the loan with decline you because of the information on the credit report they pulled? If so, you have a right to get a copy of the report and can dispute any errors. The bank you applied with should have provided you with detailed info on how to get the copy for your review.

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

— Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Posts: 413 | Location: GA | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtZ66:
Did the bank you applied for the loan with decline you because of the information on the credit report they pulled? If so, you have a right to get a copy of the report and can dispute any errors. The bank you applied with should have provided you with detailed info on how to get the copy for your review.

You beat me to it. A denial requires that they mail a letter indicating the reason for the denial, as well as provide you with instructions on how to obtain your free report.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Annualcreditreport.com asks for SSAN. Makes me nervous to provide that info on-line. How secure is this?

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
Annualcreditreport.com asks for SSAN. Makes me nervous to provide that info on-line. How secure is this?

Make sure you are on your home network. make sure the address is https:// instead of just http:

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not declined as I am still going through the process of the loan,(sending them my w-2,pay stubs,etc.). The bank is highly recommended from a few friends who have used them before and their rates are the best around.

When they checked via Equifax initially,the credit service they use, it did not show who or what it was on the credit report for them and I was advised to contact Equifax to see what it was about. The loan manager was stumped, or so he said.

The amount was less than $50.00, so I don't think it would cause any issue with the loan as I have more than enough equity in my home and the loan is not much. I have had a few loans prior and never had an issue before,so I figure with this one it shouldn't be an issue. It bothers me more than I think it does them, as I just want to know what it is about. The only thing I was told was that it was a medical expense.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always good to check your credit report, not just your FICO.....

Years ago (1984) when I was about 18, I applied for a loan, and they said I had too much outstanding debt. I said WTF, I only have 2 credit cards (1 gas 1 visa), can I see the report?

There were about 10 credit cards and loans listed under my name. They were my fathers. We both have the same 1st name, but I am not a junior. Since I obviously lived at the same address in the last couple of years I guess they showed up on my report...I pointed out that one gas card said I was a member since 1973, that would mean I was 7 years old when I opened the account LOL. It was easy to get cleared up, but slowed down my original loan process.

Posts: 20 | Location: Texas Gulf Coast | Registered: September 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using annualcreditreport since they started. No issues with SSN. As long as you make sure you are on the correct site.

Like Aeteocles, I check each one four months apart.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you were denied credit you are entitled to a free copy of the report used directly from the provider. Do not waste your free annualcreditreport for this. Use it later to verify anything disputed has been removed.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post