SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shana Tova to my invisible Jewish friends
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shana Tova to my invisible Jewish friends Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not at all.

I'm a lifelong WASP, among the most "white privileged" as modern parlance puts it. There weren't many Jews around here where I grew up, but I worked for and with several Jewish businessmen, a lawyer or two. I was treated well, fairly, and had no problem with that.

Since then, I've dealt with hundreds, as clients, employers, employees, adversaries, all respectfully, mostly fairly (we're lawyers, after all!), and of course read extensively of the history of Europe.

So, then this asshole comes along and accuses me of being Jewish. My accuser meant to insult me. Instead, it caused me to think thoughts and realize perceptions that I had not had before, the sting of bigotry and prejudice. I understood what it felt like, a little.

I figured as much. I just wanted to hear the story. Thanks

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year ya'll! I was working a 12, of course. I feel older.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, then this asshole comes along and accuses me of being Jewish. My accuser meant to insult me. Instead, it caused me to think thoughts and realize perceptions that I had not had before, the sting of bigotry and prejudice. I understood what it felt like, a little.

It is interesting to read that. I am not Jewish, but thinking of all the Jewish people I know, I wouldn't think of being mistaken for Jewish as an accusation. I suspect that "assholes" accuse people of being the stereotype that they have in their minds of Jewish people and don't have much knowledge of Jewish people.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
A sweet new year to all.

A blessing on you for thinking of your neighbour!

tac

Posts: 11314 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

It is interesting to read that. I am not Jewish, but thinking of all the Jewish people I know, I wouldn't think of being mistaken for Jewish as an accusation. I suspect that "assholes" accuse people of being the stereotype that they have in their minds of Jewish people and don't have much knowledge of Jewish people.

There is a long history of slights, insults, discriminations against Jews, even more than Irish, Catholics and probably less than against Negroes. Some was blatant, like deed restrictions forbidding sale or occupancy by negroes or Jews. Some was more subtle. Harry Truman was partners in a mens clothing store after WWI, with an Army buddy, Eddie Jacobson, but Jacobson could never come to the Truman's home for dinner. Ben Graham, the famous investor who was Warren Buffett's mentor, was reluctant to hire Buffett, feeling that since Jews could not be hired at most Wall Street firms, he ought to save his few spots for Jews. I'm sure the older Jewish guys here can list hundreds of similar demeaning attitudes, treatment, cruel jokes, stereotypes, etc.

The asshole was not mistaking me for a Jew; he knew better. It was meant as an insult, to demean me in the group we participated in. This, and his other antics and threats, kind of backfired, while my stock rose, so to speak.

Anyway, enough of this thread drift.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Special Happy New Years to any fellow SAMMY brothers out there!

Fast and Firm!

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I hope posting this video isn't inappropriate to the occasion. I have such a fondness for Israel and her culture and history that this music calls to me. The lyrics especially mirror my own sentiments and at times bring me to tears of inspiration.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year Smile

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Shana Tova U'Metuka!

I was once mistaken for not being Jewish. For several years, actually, by my elderly neighbor who had a habit of saying some pretty classic things about Jews.... Actually, I was also mistaken for not being Jewish by a professor who told me it was offensive to call someone a Jew. I asked him why he thought that and said that I was a Jew and I wasn't offended by being called a Jew. He got a shocked looked on his face, "You're Jewish?"

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post