SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternatives to Safelite auto?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to Safelite auto? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Wondering if anyone here has used an alternative to Safelite auto for windshield repair.

Got quoted $150 to repair a chip. Of course, I want to get it done before it gets worse and have to replace the entire windshield.

Posts: 13029 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into fixing it yourself with a kit like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-...p%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-8

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Check with your auto insurance company, many times they will pick up the charge for these types of repairs.

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Wondering if anyone here has used an alternative to Safelite auto for windshield repair.
You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
Watching

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
In Atlanta there are tons of small companies that do that work. I found my last one just by using Google. Of course, getting an entirely new windshield for my Silverado only cost $175.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10464 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Small shops in my area will do it for $30-$40 and I do it myself for $10. This only works if it is a repairable size. Depending on the windshield, on many vehicles a whole new one isn't expensive if you don't run it through the insurance company.

Posts: 1494 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We called the auto insurance guy. He recommended a local shop that was half the price of safelite....such that it was cheaper than my deductible and I happily threw my money at them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11226 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Glass USA / Glass America.

100%

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16255 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
AAA? Around here AAA comes to your home or work for batteries and windshields. Very convenient.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Repairing a small chip is one of those things that you really can do just as well yourself with a quality kit by carefully following the instructions. I've done several and never had them open up any further.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The DIY kits are remarkably easy to do a job that is 95% as good as any I've ever seen done at a kiosk/pro. Unless it's directly in my line of site I'd get one of those and use it.

I know a lot of carriers waived deductible on these in past, but I believe many no longer do so?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12339 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
We called the auto insurance guy. He recommended a local shop that was half the price of safelite....such that it was cheaper than my deductible and I happily threw my money at them.

This.

I have USAA and went with their local recommended windshield people both times I needed my Tundra's windshield replaced.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post