SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let's talk about a much more innocent time in our nation. Let's talk about Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk about a much more innocent time in our nation. Let's talk about Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Specifically:

February 22, 1968

Mister Rogers then throws a double Tall Man and everybody had so much fun!!

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tall man just cracked me up. Even in 1968 it's hard to imagine that tall man made it on the air. I wonder how many kids showed their parents what tall man was.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And then, there's always this:

Sort of a self-visualization thing.

Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Its funny if you minimize the video Smile

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Meow, meow tall man meow.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29694 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Mr. Rogers giving double tall man needs to be a T-shirt

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
How the hell did you find this Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16690 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
My mom said I used to sit in front of the TV and carry on a conversation with Mr. Rogers...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
those were the days,
I remember knowing 8 or ten peoples telephone numbers,
now,

not so much.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
How the hell did you find this Big Grin
A friend of mine sent me the link in an email.

posted Hide Post
Hey, Boss, this is a test, right?

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My childhood being crushed before my eyes. First Gomer's revelation and now Mr Rodgers throwing double tall mans. I probably watched that episode first run after kindergarten one day.

Posts: 3593 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
My childhood being crushed before my eyes. First Gomer's revelation...

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Tears of laughter after watching the video.

Watched every episode as a kid....loved it.

Great post

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
These days it’s Daniel Tigers’ Neighborhood. Same themes and characters but lead is a Tiger. My 4 year old loves the show but I haven’t seen them do a version of this. Yet. Big Grin

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The clip I posted truly does reflect a more innocent time. Although this hand gesture was well known then, Fred Rogers used it and had all the children at that table using it. There was another adult at the table, and she saw no issue as well. The producers of the show saw this, and as adults, certainly were familiar with the vulgar meaning of this hand gesture, yet allowed the segment to go to air. The management or station directors of the TV stations where this segment aired apparently had no issue with it.

What does all that mean? It means that when Mister Rogers flipped the bird, he wasn't flipping the bird. He was using this hand gesture, but to all involved- from Mister Rogers on down- it was an innocent thing. Although they (except for the children) knew this was considered a vulgar gesture, the use of it and the intent of it in this particular instance was purely innocent, so the segment was broadcast. We've lost this and we've lost it forever. If this were to happen today, parents would lose their freaking minds and Mister Rogers would be fired, his show cancelled and he would be brought up on charges of child endangerment or some such crap. Protesters would surround his home, harass him on the street and he would have to go into hiding. Tell me I'm wrong.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Well put Para.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The clip I posted truly does reflect a more innocent time. Although this hand gesture was well known then, Fred Rogers used it and had all the children at that table using it. There was another adult at the table, and she saw no issue as well. The producers of the show saw this, and as adults, certainly were familiar with the vulgar meaning of this hand gesture, yet allowed the segment to go to air. The management or station directors of the TV stations where this segment aired apparently had no issue with it.

What does all that mean? It means that when Mister Rogers flipped the bird, he wasn't flipping the bird. He was using this hand gesture, but to all involved- from Mister Rogers on down- it was an innocent thing. Although they (except for the children) knew this was considered a vulgar gesture, the use of it and the intent of it in this particular instance was purely innocent, so the segment was broadcast. We've lost this and we've lost it forever. If this were to happen today, parents would lose their freaking minds and Mister Rogers would be fired, his show cancelled and he would be brought up on charges of child endangerment or some such crap. Protesters would surround his home, harass him on the street and he would have to go into hiding. Tell me I'm wrong.

I tried to write something similar to this yesterday, but I couldn't put it together as well as you just did, para. Very well done, sir.

Thank you.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post