SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PETA urges people to stop using ‘anti-animal language’
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PETA urges people to stop using ‘anti-animal language’ Login/Join 
posted
Yeah. Lie like a dog comes to my mind. This is ridiculous. Next thing Mr. Ed reruns will be removed. Here is the story:

The animal rights organization PETA wants you to change the way you talk.

The group recently tweeted a photo, which offered alternatives for common phrases that use “anti-animal language.”

One example is saying “feed two birds with one scone” instead of “kill two birds with one stone.” Another example is instead of saying “bring home the bacon,” you should say “bring home the bagels.”

“Just as it became unacceptable to use racist, homophobic language, phrases that trivialize cruelty to animals will vanish as more people begin to appreciate animals for who they are,” the group said.

@peta
Words matter, and as our understanding of social justice evolves, our language evolves along with it. Here’s how to remove speciesism from your daily conversations.

LINK [contains a chart} : https://wgntv.com/2018/12/05/p...nti-animal-language/

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good idea, PETA. I will stop immediately the moment an animal tells me it’s offended by such sayings.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
..as more people begin to appreciate animals for who they are,” the group said.

I already appreciate animals for who they are, especially bacon.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
peta kidnaps and murders animals so they can fuck themselves.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
instead of saying “bring home the bacon,” you should say “bring home the bagels.”

As a Jewish person, I'm offended by this Smile

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
A famous bumper sticker once read "I love animals, they're delicious".

I would think the folks at PETA would be more sensitive to the air they breathe being offended in the way oxygen is being wasted on their brains. They should voluntarily stop breathing.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2004 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Don’t they realize that their own bodies are killing viruses and bacteria at a fantastic rate? In theory, they should all kill themselves to stop the genocide...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15557 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
How do I make them happy with " Hornier than a two peckered dog"?

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Fuck them. Just because they opened their mouths again I'm going to be having turf n' turf tonight for supper.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There was a woman from PETA on Tucker Carlson’s show last night. I was embarrassed for both of them. Her for coming on television and trying to explain and defend the undefendable, and him for giving her an audience and his frat boy, mocking interview. I had to turn it off.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they'd be offended if I simply referred to this as "bull shit"?

And then there's this....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Does that mean these shirts aren't available on the PETA webstore?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have to get one of the PETA T-shirts that I saw.

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Hah! You beat me to it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat .. so I'll try the "feed a bird" thing.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
PETA. Always bitching about something.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I like how the Brits say "there isn't enough room in here to swing a dead cat". That's funny right there.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry, why does ANYONE care what these nutballs have to say about anything??

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
instead of saying “bring home the bacon,” you should say “bring home the bagels.”

As a Jewish person, I'm offended by this Smile

I know it isn't usual, but a bacon sandwich on a bagel would be delicious.

And PETA is a bunch of loons. They will always be a weird fringe group, because they want to deny the fundamental nature of humans as a predator species. We kill and use other animals. That is what we are. They way we talk reflects that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post