SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teach me about kayaks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teach me about kayaks Login/Join 
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted
I was a boy scout and have certainly used kayaks before but I have never owned any.

My family and I would like to spend some more time outdoors and I think Kyaking would be a good fit. We have a nice river that is perfect for Kayaking only 20 min away, and I have a pickup truck so transporting them is easy.

It's my wife me, and 2 kids, (a 10year old daughter and 7 year old son). We were thinking a couple 2 seater kayaks would fit the bill so we can each have a kid with us, but I have no idea where to start. Inflatable, plastic, fiberglass dobt jnow what would be best.

I am very open to all good suggestions or even new ideas, but as always I trust the collective brain trust of Sig Forum so I thought I would start there.

Thanks in advance

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I probably would NOT consider inflatables.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! It's a great way to spend time together.

In order for us to give you some advise (and it will likely be all over the map) tell us about the river. How big? Do you know what "Class water" it is?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sit on tops are good entry level boats.
Life jackets. All the time. Helmets also for faster water.
And self rescue training is a must.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Have you ruled out canoes?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38648 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Congratulations! It's a great way to spend time together.

In order for us to give you some advise (and it will likely be all over the map) tell us about the river. How big? Do you know what "Class water" it is?

Very good point. It is a very mild river. Mostly drunk tubers in the late morning of summer. It is the Saltriver in Maricopa county.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_River_(Arizona)

and Range Safety officer

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Not entirely, but there is no easy launch access to the river. Water craft have to be carried about 100 yards to get to the river. ANd about the same getting off the river. That makes canoes really hard with my small wife and kids.

and Range Safety officer

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
There is likely a place to rent kayaks, most likely Sit-On-Tops, so you and your family can give it a try. I would strongly recommend you start with a few rentals before buying, and get advice from the rental company and any local place that sells kayaks.

Kayak rental

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've found that 2 person kayaks = 1 paddler and 1 passenger. Guess who the paddler is?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You'll want to avoid an inflatable there. The hard molded plastic ones are way tougher.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our family started kayaking together a couple of years ago. Our interest is now towards whitewater paddling (easy Class I-II stuff when the kids are along). Kids were 7 and 5 when they started.

Life Jackets / PFDs -

Make sure you buy quality PFDs that are intended for paddling. You also want to go to a store that has enough selection so that you can try several on to know what fits you best. You will be much more comfortable and it will make your overall experience more enjoyable. Also, prepare yourself for the cost of quality PFDs. $100+

I bought some PFDs at the outset that ended up being mistakes. I was trying to save a few bucks, so I bought PFDs that were not paddling focused and all ended up being replaced once I saw the error of my ways. It is definitely a buy once, cry once scenario.

Brands that are paddling focused, and of high quality are Astral, Kokatat, and Stohlquist.

Instruction -

If you enjoy the sport, instruction from an American Canoe Association instructor is advisable. They have classes for all skill levels.

I can honestly say that I have not regretted the time or money spent for any of the instruction me or my family has received.

Boats -

You can buy high quality inflatables, but their cost usually exceeds quality plastic boats. Low cost inflatables should be avoided.

Fiberglass boats are few and far between and are usually homebuilt or specialty boats at this point.

Most kayaks today are going to be plastic. There will be a wide variation in quality and cost. I recommend going to a specialty retailer, as they likely will not stock any junk. You will also get advice on the type of boat you need for the water you will be paddling. You also want to avoid as many mistake purchases as the outset of your paddling.

The big box exception are the boats made by Perception. These Perceptions are usually re-branded Wilderness Systems designs from a past years. Good quality and reasonable prices, but I don't think you will get much advice or decent accessories at a big box retailer.

Do not buy anything that is made by Sun Dolphin or Pelican.

If you go to a specialty retailer, they may also have some gently used trade-in boats that might fit your needs.

When we first started out, we were more focused on lake and flat water streams, and we bought boats for that purpose. We bought two Malibu brand kayaks (an X Factor and an Xcaliber) as they are sit-on-tops that have a kid seat in the front. My kids soon decided they wanted to paddle their own boats, so I bought two little Lifetime brand kids boats for them to paddle. The Lifetime boats are not high quality, but for what I paid for them, they were, in essence, disposable.

We still have the Malibus and they may see use once a season. I call them our supply barges. My kids now paddle their own kids boats made by Jackson Kayak. On family trips, my wife and I will often paddle cross-over style kayaks- basically whitewater boats that have been stretched to haul a bit more stuff.

I am happy to try to answer any questions you have.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amhaynie:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Not entirely, but there is no easy launch access to the river. Water craft have to be carried about 100 yards to get to the river. ANd about the same getting off the river. That makes canoes really hard with my small wife and kids.

they make a strap on set of wheels that you strap on one end of the canoe, and pull\push from the other,

when you get it in the water, you unstrap and store, or put it back in the vehicle,

https://www.cabelas.com/produc...NOE-CART/1947990.uts

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilderness Systems Radar 115 I use for kayak fishing, but I don't recommend that to you for what you are wanting to do.

I was wanting my family to come along every now and then so I was looking at inexpensive kayaks at Walmart and Academy. I was very impressive with the ones I saw at Walmart, and I think the price is pretty good to get you and your family out there on the water in no time.

I breezed through the other responses, but I didn't see if anyone already mentioned renting some to get an idea of what you are wanting. For family fun, you don't have to put too much money into them.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the fall many kayak rental,places sell off their inventory. You should be able to find a slightly used kayak with a couple scrapes and scuffs for a good price

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gmcc:
In the fall many kayak rental,places sell off their inventory. You should be able to find a slightly used kayak with a couple scrapes and scuffs for a good price

Even up north in the mountains of Arizona we do not really have much of a fall/ winter so that might not be an option Smile

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Try some rentals first....

I’m not big on tandem. Heavy. Long. And of limited purpose when the kids grow older....quickly.

7 & 10 are old enough to paddle their own if the trips are shorter. And if they aren’t you can always tug them behind you.

My son, now 11, started with his own boat about the seven year old mark. Jackson Mini-Tripper. He has never gone tandem.

And ditto the comment on buying demos from a kayak shop. My shop will apply the demo fee towards a future purchase.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Do you have a truck?

Do you have a place to store them?

If moving and or storing them is not easy you will never use them.

I have two, a truck and they go under the house. Great fun. Also don't skimp on PDF. Pay about 15% the cost of the Kayak.

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
PFD

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ishootsometimes:
Do you have a truck?

Do you have a place to store them?

If moving and or storing them is not easy you will never use them.

I have two, a truck and they go under the house. Great fun. Also don't skimp on PDF. Pay about 15% the cost of the Kayak.

Yup we have a truck, trailer and acreage. Lots of room for them

and Range Safety officer

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=kayaks&cat_id=0

That above Walmart link is to their kayaks. I know not all Walmarts have them on site like mine, but again, I was impressed with the ones I saw - especially for the money.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post