SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spacecraft vs aircraft
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spacecraft vs aircraft Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Yes there is a difference. Did the Space Shuttle become an aircraft on re-entry. In a technical and/or designation sense?

Hypothetically was/will the Starship Enterprise be an aircraft when entered into an atmosphere.

Is the difference about power using O2 from the atmosphere with fuel or not O2?

Posts: 6313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Watercraft- craft designed to operate in water.

Aircraft- craft designed to operate in air.

Spacecraft- craft designed to operate in space.

Putting the Queen Mary in orbit doesn't make it a spacecraft.

The space shuttle was designed for space. It only transits the aptmosphere to get from and to its working environment, unless you also believe it becomes an automobile when wheels touch runway.

It's a spacecraft.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sam68
posted Hide Post
I remember reading that, early on in the Shuttle program, NASA had a policy of being very careful to refer to the Shuttle Orbiter as a "spacecraft" rather than an "aircraft."

The reason was to avoid conflict with law(s) prohibiting "aircraft" from supersonic flight over land during reentry. Smile

I don't think the technical distinctions are so cut and dried or based upon the method of propulsion. The X-15 was rocket powered, and an "aircraft." It also glided back to Earth.

A conventional glider has no power (except gravity via the tow) and is an "aircraft."

The shuttle was a bit of both + able to go into low earth orbit, and not spectacularly efficient at any of it.

Posts: 18 | Location: Nevada | Registered: June 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
The Space Shuttle was less of an aircraft during reentry, more of a falling brick.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What about the X-15? Little bit aircraft little bit spacey. It's flown in space, so it's both. Also the fastest airplane ever flown.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Well that was a misrepresentation of a title. Was hoping for grainy video of an F35 vs UFO. Big Grin

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
The Space Shuttle was less of an aircraft during reentry, more of a falling brick.

This, the Space Shuttle never flew, it was falling with style.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
Watercraft- craft designed to operate in water.

Aircraft- craft designed to operate in air.

Spacecraft- craft designed to operate in space.

Putting the Queen Mary in orbit doesn't make it a spacecraft.

But...but...but...

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
That is one old anime.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
How would you classify the hover-carrier in Avengers ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
How would you classify the hover-carrier in Avengers ?

No different than a helicopter with pontoons or other amphibious helicopters.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless you also believe it becomes an automobile when wheels touch runway.

Beep beep! Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
I think part of this is because we are at the tricky point where almost all our spacecraft must be atmospheric. The only true manned space only craft we've made are LEM modules from the Apollo missions.

But I imagine if we ever start traveling through the stars we will have spacecraft that can only transit space, while we will have various other craft that are capable of atmospheric entry in addition to space flight. And we will most like develop a term to encompass those.

Sort of like how we have a term for land, or air vehicles that are capable of operations in water.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
They (which are both air and space vehicles) are properly called aerospace craft/vehicle.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
I think part of this is because we are at the tricky point where almost all our spacecraft must be atmospheric. The only true manned space only craft we've made are LEM modules from the Apollo missions.

But I imagine if we ever start traveling through the stars we will have spacecraft that can only transit space, while we will have various other craft that are capable of atmospheric entry in addition to space flight. And we will most like develop a term to encompass those.

Sort of like how we have a term for land, or air vehicles that are capable of operations in water.

Inter-atmospheric craft? To refer to a craft that can transit atmosphere but is designed to fly from planet to planet?

Intra-atmospheric craft? To refer to a craft that can transit vacuum but is really a shuttle from planetside to a spacebound craft?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I think it has to do with where they are designed to operate. ALL current spacecraft must transit the atmosphere (at least one way), so calling the ISS an 'aircraft' is just silly, IMO. Even the Apollo project's LEM (the only spacecraft flown that was designed to never operate in Earths atmosphere) had to transit the atmosphere on its way into orbit.

So, that makes the space shuttle a 'spacecraft' that had to be able to transit the atmosphere. Besides, it could not sustain flight in the air, unlike traditional gliders that can utilize updrafts to gain altitude. It was only capable of trading altitude for speed and distance. This is little different, in theory, from the Apollo (and other) capsules who used parachutes to make a controlled descent through the air to a landing site.

IMO, the type of propulsion is irrelevant. As stated, there were rocket planes that didn't use atmospheric oxygen (X-15, X-1, Me-163). These were all aircraft, though the X-15 was a hybrid, in that their pilots who flew high enough qualified as astronauts. Somebody could swap out the piston engine for a rocket motor on a Cessna 172, but that doesn't make it a 'spacecraft.'. .

As far as the Star Trek example, those are clearly spacecraft that can operate in atmospheres. Their entire reason for existing is for space flight (hence the very fragile designs, with engine nacelles and main saucer sections on those impossibly slender pylons).

Space Battleship Yamato, as the name implies, is a spaceship that can transit atmospheres.

None of the spacecraft listed above, with the exception of the X-15,'operate' in the air; they simply 'transit' the air. THIS is the key distinction, IMO. Just like a taxiing 747 isn't an automobile; it is an aircraft that only transits the ground to get to/from its true operating environment.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Even the Apollo project's LEM (the only spacecraft flown that was designed to never operate in Earths atmosphere) had to transit the atmosphere on its way into orbit.

I would argue that the LEM was cargo within another spacecraft.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Even the Apollo project's LEM (the only spacecraft flown that was designed to never operate in Earths atmosphere) had to transit the atmosphere on its way into orbit.

I would argue that the LEM was cargo within another spacecraft.

During transit, yes. Once it separated from the CM, it flew to, landed on, and returned to orbit from the moon quite autonomously. It flew freely in space, and was unhindered by any compromises of having to transit atmospheres (no heat shield, parachutes, etc).

Apparently, space stations are somehow classified differently. That line I quoted about the LEM being the only spacecraft designed to operate solely in space doesn't take space stations into account. They can maneuver autonomously in space and aren't designed to transit the atmosphere. I don't know how NASA or other space agencies differentiate between 'spacecraft' and 'space stations.'. . I could argue that ISS is a more 'pure' example of a spacecraft than the space shuttle is. But, that is a different conversation.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
During transit, yes. Once it separated from the CM, it flew to, landed on, and returned to orbit from the moon quite autonomously. It flew freely in space, and was unhindered by any compromises of having to transit atmospheres (no heat shield, parachutes, etc).

I meant during the launch it was cargo.

quote:
Apparently, space stations are somehow classified differently. That line I quoted about the LEM being the only spacecraft designed to operate solely in space doesn't take space stations into account. They can maneuver autonomously in space and aren't designed to transit the atmosphere. I don't know how NASA or other space agencies differentiate between 'spacecraft' and 'space stations.'. . I could argue that ISS is a more 'pure' example of a spacecraft than the space shuttle is. But, that is a different conversation.

Sort of like how a buoy or a floating drilling platform aren't considered to be watercraft. I think the most important aspect of being an XXXcraft is the ability to transit where it wants to go without an external craft providing thrust.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
PPGMD has it right.

The LEM was just cargo on the way up. Just like any other things designed to operation only in space but get boosted through the atmosphere (satellites, probes, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post