SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Southwest Airlines to allow miniature horses as service animals in new policy Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Then there are companies that train and sell service animals. The average price is $17,000. They would love training and licensing requirements and no doubt demand rules that are difficult for owner handlers to pass.

And just imagine how much more expensive it could be once we got a nice fat bureaucracy set up to manage it all!

It doesn’t have to be a fat bureaucracy at all though. In fact if owners and advocates themselves get in front of it then the owners and advocates can help decide how much of a bureaucracy it is. I am not suggesting that service animals get priced out of reach. But I would really like this fake emotional support animal nonsense to stop. I’m sick of dealing with them and their owners every time I fly.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Pivoting around the quote in Para's signature above, one is free to avoid airlines with irrational animal travel policies.

When Airline A allows Boris, the comfort squid, to accompany their passengers, if that bothers you it's time to give your business to Airline B that doesn't.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeepers, remember when it was a pleasure to fly?
Folks seemed happier, dressed better & no animals were needed. Now, boarding a plane is like stepping into a 3rd world country.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Flying in civilian aircraft makes me long for flying in a C-130 for a trans-Atlantic crossing once again.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
It’s all cool until the horse shits all over the plane.

Damn skippy.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Flying in civilian aircraft makes me long for flying in a C-130 for a trans-Atlantic crossing once again.

Hahaha, hear are your earplugs, the head is over there...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
When civilization collapses, let's not bring this particular policy back. When we build airplanes again.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about having special flights for people with service animals. The reduced availability of flights to choose from would be an inconvenience from the people with service animals but not for other people flying.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

How does a service animal help a diabetic? Were you not just told? Service animals on aircraft are allowed under federal law, but the airline can (and usually does) require documentation that the animal is required. The airline cannot ask the condition.

This law will only work with honest people.Some people will say anything to fly their animal for free.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Inquiries, Exclusions, Charges, and Other Specific Rules Related to Service Animals

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
quote:
Then there are companies that train and sell service animals. The average price is $17,000. They would love training and licensing requirements and no doubt demand rules that are difficult for owner handlers to pass.

And just imagine how much more expensive it could be once we got a nice fat bureaucracy set up to manage it all!

It doesn’t have to be a fat bureaucracy at all though. In fact if owners and advocates themselves get in front of it then the owners and advocates can help decide how much of a bureaucracy it is. I am not suggesting that service animals get priced out of reach. But I would really like this fake emotional support animal nonsense to stop. I’m sick of dealing with them and their owners every time I fly.

How much control does any group of ordinary citizens exert over any government agency?

Also, emotional support animals are not service animals.

Service animals are trained to perform a specific task that helps a person with a disability.

Emotional support animals help a person with a psychiatric condition feel better just by being present.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Pivoting around the quote in Para's signature above, one is free to avoid airlines with irrational animal travel policies.

When Airline A allows Boris, the comfort squid, to accompany their passengers, if that bothers you it's time to give your business to Airline B that doesn't.

This is actually not really an option.

A federal law, the "Air Carrier Access Act," requires all airlines to allow both service animals and emotional support animals in-cabin on flights.

Part of the ACAA is that you can't use certain "unusual" animals as emotional support animals, so you're probably safe from emotional support squids, but not ESAs in general.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

The airline cannot ask the condition.
I was under the impression that the person may not be questioned re his / her "condition," but it is acceptable to ask what "service" the animal performs.

Is this correct?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The airline cannot ask the condition.
I was under the impression that the person may not be questioned re his / her "condition," but it is acceptable to ask what "service" the animal performs.

Is this correct?

For service animals, pretty much.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

quote:
Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

For emotional support animals, the answer is a bit different. From the "Air Carrier Access Act."

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/r...HTML#se14.4.382_1117

quote:
(e) If a passenger seeks to travel with an animal that is used as an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you are not required to accept the animal for transportation in the cabin unless the passenger provides you current documentation (i.e., no older than one year from the date of the passenger's scheduled initial flight) on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g., psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger's mental or emotional disability) stating the following:

(1) The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—Fourth Edition (DSM IV);

(2) The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination;

(3) The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care; and

(4) The date and type of the mental health professional's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
It’s all cool until the horse shits all over the plane.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...but it is acceptable to ask what "service" the animal performs.

You are a dirty old man.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
quote:

How much control does any group of ordinary citizens exert over any government agency?

Also, emotional support animals are not service animals.

Service animals are trained to perform a specific task that helps a person with a disability.

Emotional support animals help a person with a psychiatric condition feel better just by being present.

It does not have to be a government agency. There are all sorts of certification programs that are not controlled by or administered by the government yet are recognized and sometimes required for a field of work. For instance UL certification is not a government certification but it is required by many people before they will buy a product.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

As posted above, no I cannot. And while technically support animals do not have to be allowed on without a note, which I doubt is very hard to get, the restrictions against requiring any sort of proof that the animal is an actual service animal creates a massive loophole for anyone willing to lie.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with real service dogs such as seeing eye dogs and the like on airplanes

I have no problem with bringing a miniature critter like a dachshund in an under-seat case or crate

I do have a problem with so-called emotional support animals of ANY kind

if you're that emotionally fragile, you should think about another mode of transport

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My problem is with the people that abuse exceptions and options like these in order to get away with taking their precious pets wherever they go, it reduces the support for those truly in need by extorting rules for personal gain, and we all know that many of these "support" animals provide no real life saving services.

They only detract from those that do....

It's hard to know what is really a support animal outside of seeing a blind person with a dog, we see all sorts of people in stores with support pets that don't meet the "reasonable and customary" idea of what a support pet is.

I guess the days of Lassie pulling Timmy out of the well are now replaced with Muffin the pet Tarantula that jumps when it senses the owners about to pop a hemorrhoid

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post