SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fish sauce is stinky...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fish sauce is stinky... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
What's the consensus on the better brands of fish sauce (and any to stay away from)? Same question for patis.

My wife pretty much only uses 3 crabs fish sauce. It’s a Vietnamese sauce and has a pinkish label with three crabs on it.
In a pinch, she’ll use squid brand fish sauce, but never for kimchee. Only the three crabs for kimchee.

3 Crabs is my go-to brand. Red Boat has marketing that's geared for the Western/American market, it is good but, I don't find the extra $ worth it.

Fish sauce is the secret to many sauces and gravy's. Splash a few drops and you'll kick-it up a notch on the flavor meter. Every culture has a fermented umami-type sauce, ancient Romans had garum, which you can find today called Colatura, great on salads and vegetable dishes, along with meat-based dishes. Worcestershire is similar just, not as strong. The Japanese have a sauce called Shottsura, the Thai have nam pla, in Southern China/Hong Kong there's XO sauce. All are flavor enhancers.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is it similar to that liquid fish garden fertilizer you can buy?

I remember taking a whiff of the bottle of that stuff in the garage as a kid and it nearly knocked me out it was that stinky. Eek

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I just wish it came in much smallter bottles. i can never use even half of it before it needs to be replaced.

Why replace it? That shit is so concentrate will never go bad if it smell bad what the different between a brand new one or the one seat 2 years.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I use Squid brand, but don't have wide experience.

Many Thai dishes call for it, and they just aren't the same without it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
...but I gotta tell ya, it makes Thai and Vietnamese food delicious.

Made a batch of Thai Basil Chicken for dinner tonight. Smells a weebit funky while cooking, but holy cow is it tasty when done... Nom!

I use a ton of it making Kimchi. It gives it a really good funky flavor that I love. Smells like I'm chumming for catfish though.....

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Is it similar to that liquid fish garden fertilizer you can buy?

It's got the electrolytes plants crave.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I use it regularly even in Western dishes. A little can add a lot of umami.

The ancient Romans used a similar fish sauce, garum, in almost everything.

Marmite is my go-to for that wonderful umami flavor. I just received three 4.4 oz jars today (from Amazon). A jar lasts me about a month. I put it in several dishes, but most frequently in oat groat porridge. It’s also a wonderful flavor enhancer for sautéed mushrooms. I sauté the mushrooms then mix in the Marmite afterwards. The key with Marmite is moderation – too much and it’s bitter.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I just wish it came in much smallter bottles. i can never use even half of it before it needs to be replaced.

Wtf do you need to replace it? You can't make worst go bad. Lol

Seriously, it's salt. No bacteria can survive in it.

At worse the salt crystallizes but they lessened the amount now to something less than ocean salinity.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Can’t believe you haven’t posted the recipe yet..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...cken-pad-krapow-gai/

Smile

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
At worse the salt crystallizes but they lessened the amount now to something less than ocean salinity.

If no crystals form when refrigerated, add extra salt to bring it back up to where it ought to be.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...cken-pad-krapow-gai/

Smile

Thanks!! Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks!! Smile

Fer sher. Only thing I did differently was stir fry the chicken in smaller batches then add back to the pan.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post