SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comm Radio(s) Needed...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comm Radio(s) Needed... Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
Went on to the FCC site last night and filled out the form for GMRS.
Woke up this morning with approval in my inbox.
So I guess I'm now WRJI295 on the GMRS bands.

I got my GMRS about a month or so ago. I hate those call signs I can't remember mine. I'm a ham and I have thrown out my ham call on GMRS because I'm so used to putting out my ham.

It hurt paying that $70 for the GMRS and I think my ham was $14 or $15 for 10 years. I wish it would be included on the ham license

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I got my HAM license earlier this year and also have my GMRS license.

Over last weekend our Overlanding group went out for a couple of days of fun and relaxation. Our “group leader” mandated GMRS comms in all our vehicles. I have the Midlands mentioned previously and they worked OK but a few of our guys comes we’re significantly clearer and came over the air much better.

In talking to them I found out that they both had Kenwood TM-V71 mobile HAM radios with the GMRS channels programmed into them. The major advantage to this is the ability to transmit up to a true 50 watts as opposed to 5-7 in most handhelds.

My Kenwood order arrived today!!! If you find out that you want to dive a little deeper into the HAM pool this might be a great step up.

I have a Yaesu FT-2980R in my truck with GMRS in it with my ham 2 meter stuff

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Taged to read thru this post
Thanks

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just saw on Slickdeals that Uniden SX329's are on sale on Amazon for $40/pair. The listing says normal price is $130.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Received my extra RT87 batteries today...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was pleasantly surprised when one of the two radios I ordered came with a programming cable...

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBabsJr:
I was pleasantly surprised when one of the two radios I ordered came with a programming cable...

No wonder they can't find any to ship me

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
911Boss...

Got mine (batteries) yesterday as well. I have also received a new charging adapter and replacement belt clip screws that were missing from one of my radios.

Retevis has been great with the customer service thus far.

Got an audible book for the Technician and General tests for free with a 30-day free subscription to audible. They have been great as my time to read the ARRL study manual has been limited.

Will sit for the Technician test next month and may try my hand at the General at the same time.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
creslin...

Got my programming cable about 2 weeks ago. I ordered on the same day as the radios (08/22).

Bummer you do not have yours yet...

Once you get your cable I can share my program file with you. 911Boss was good enough to share his with me and I have since modified it a bit.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No wonder they can't find any to ship me

I did order one separately when I ordered the radios. If it gets here before you get yours I’ll send it your way.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
My UPS app tells me that I have "something" on the way.
I think the cable is the only thing that I have pending right now - and it's the right weight shown in the app (about 1/3 pound) so this might honestly be it.
Will find out on wednesday I guess!

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Great thread! I’ll probably pick up the RT-87.

Not to derail, but what would be a nicer step up for later? I foresee an better hand held for myself and the RTs as extras.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Great thread! I’ll probably pick up the RT-87.

Not to derail, but what would be a nicer step up for later? I foresee an better hand held for myself and the RTs as extras.

In my experience, the RT87 is about the “Top end” of the Chinese Ham radios.

Next step up would be Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood and the like. Alternative would be getting a DMR radio, it is really taking off and opens up the world via handheld.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Great thread. Will be purchasing soon. What is the max wattage of the RT87?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Great thread. Will be purchasing soon. What is the max wattage of the RT87?

Thanks

https://www.retevis.com/resour...87-English-Manua.pdf

Looks like 4

Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Kids are getting me a couple RT87s for my b-day next month!!

Gotta keep plugging away at the ARRL manual!!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
My UPS app tells me that I have "something" on the way.
I think the cable is the only thing that I have pending right now - and it's the right weight shown in the app (about 1/3 pound) so this might honestly be it.
Will find out on wednesday I guess!

Well... my mystery item arrived a day before they said.
It was not a cable.
It was not even anything I ordered lol.

Ah well. Patience is a virtue or something.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here is a SMOKIN' good deal on a real radio, Yaesu brand Dual Band VHF/UHF.

Gitcha some!

Heckuva Good Deal Link

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure they are great... However, they cannot transmit on GMRS or FRS bands (only can receive on those bands).

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
911Boss...

Got an audible book for the Technician and General tests for free with a 30-day free subscription to audible. They have been great as my time to read the ARRL study manual has been limited.

Will sit for the Technician test next month and may try my hand at the General at the same time.

For all the potential HAMs planning to take the Technician exam, you will receive your score/results immediately. When you pass the exam you can immediately take the General exam for free. I highly recommend you give it a try. You may surprise yourself. You have nothing to lose.
For studying I highly recommend HAMTESTONLINE as a resource.
https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

K4RDB

Posts: 22 | Location: North GA | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post