SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comm Radio(s) Needed...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Comm Radio(s) Needed... Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Jimbo... Have not programmed a second radio yet.

I will get one out of the box, charge it, then program in at least 1 FRS and 1 GMRS channel and test between the 2 radios.

I will report back with my findings this evening.

I fully expect it to work however (I know I can transmit on both bands, but cannot confirm 2 way comms yet).


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
911Boss...

I figured out how to name channels through the keypad on the radio.

In the "CH.NAME" menu otion:

Up/Down Arrows - Cycles through capital letter, lower case letters, numbers and some symbols.

#LOCK Button - Advances to the next space. Will also be the space key.

I only post this as you had indicated earlier that you were not sure how to advance to the next space while naming a channel.

I am only going to name a couple of channels this way as it is very tedious. Will name the channels when the programming cable is in my possession.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Boz....did you figure out if the RT87 allow tx on the FRS or GMRS freqs?

Am considering these for use in rural areas but am not HAM certified but would like to become so...

Seems that the Baofeng's will

Thanks

JB





They do, I’ve already confirmed it with mine.






What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???



 
Posts: 9324 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
911Boss...

I figured out how to name channels through the keypad on the radio.

In the "CH.NAME" menu otion:

Up/Down Arrows - Cycles through capital letter, lower case letters, numbers and some symbols.

#LOCK Button - Advances to the next space. Will also be the space key.

I only post this as you had indicated earlier that you were not sure how to advance to the next space while naming a channel.

I am only going to name a couple of channels this way as it is very tedious. Will name the channels when the programming cable is in my possession.


There you go. See, you’re learning already!






What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???



 
Posts: 9324 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boss... Do I get a gold star? Smile

Okay, update.

All 3 radios are out of the boxes and charged. I am in the process of programming now.

1 word of caution to anyone who purchases these, especially multi-packs...

Get all of your radios out quickly and ensure all of the contents included are actually in the box, the batteries charge, and the radio work.

In my case, 1 radio was missing the screws used to attach the belt clip to the radio and another radio came with a bad adapter (wall wart transformer) for the charging base.

I have e-mailed Retevis through the Amazon contact seller e-mail system.

I will report back when I get an answer from Retevis.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Jimbo...

I can confirm that there has been no update (hardware, firmware or software) that prevents these radios from transmitting or receiving FRS and GMRS frequencies.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telling cops where to go for over 25 years
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
Thanks Boss... Do I get a gold star? Smile

...

In my case, 1 radio was missing the screws used to attach the belt clip to the radio and another radio came with a bad adapter (wall wart transformer) for the charging base.

I have e-mailed Retevis through the Amazon contact seller e-mail system.

I will report back when I get an answer from Retevis.


You knows that typo I told you about in the file I sent? I toyed with the idea of not telling you and seeing if you would figure it out. Decided to be nice Wink


Too bad about the missing parts. I’ve yet to have a problem.






What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???



 
Posts: 9324 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
911Boss...

My hand-keyed file was correct Smile

Got a shipping notice for my programming cable. It was sent out from Chino, CA today. So, looks like I may have it sooner than the end of October.

Not heard from Angela yet about the faulty adapter or missing screws... wonder if I will tonight.

To all you other fellas who may be getting these radios...

Holler at me or post your questions here when you get them and I will share whatever information I can with you. I will also let you know of any shortcuts I have found to any issues you may have (if they are not posted in this thread).

I would like to take some of the weight off of 911Boss as he has already contributed so much.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Okay 911Boss...

I need a little help here.

How do you enter/select a channel for the lower display (bottom display)?

I can switch the channel in the top of the display to the bottom of the display (and back again with the A/B button), but I cannot get a second channel entered on the display.



Hold up... while typing this, I figured it out. You have to enable the "D.WAIT" function to "On" (menu item 06). Planned on deleting this post once I figured it out, but thought others may benefit.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
So I have heard from Retevis directly about the missing screws and defective charging adapter.

Their CS has been excellent and the replacement items have already been shipped.

They did ask for a picture of the items to ensure they sent the correct items (probably wanted to avoid errors in the English/Chinese translation).

They have profusely apologized for the issues and stated they will strive to prevent this from happening in the future.

So far, Retevis has been great for those of you considering purchasing these radios.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to interject here that threads like this are one of the reasons why I love this forum. This thread has been BEYOND helpful. Thanks guys.
 
Posts: 674 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks pcshooter...

I will continue to post here as I find shortcuts or easier ways to accomplish things with these radios, as the manual truly sucks and there is little by way of instruction online.

I will also keep everyone updated on my journey to getting my technician level amateure license.

Side note:

After things were elevated to another level last night in WI, I am glad I have some form of comms and that I know how to program and use them.

I really hope it does not get to that point around here, but I have BLM yard signs and shirt wearing teens in my small housing development outside of a Democratic stronghold city (Columbus). There are some good people here, but many I do not trust. They also know I have nice things and, in turn, money. Does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Earlier this year I bought this just to have some "something" until I got time to do some research and find something actually good.

My two radios arrived yesterday and I got some time today to play with them a bit.
As I currently have no license of any kind... I got the two of them setup to TX on FRS frequencies for right now.
Was kinda nifty when I got the retevis radios to play nice with the cheapy motorolas (linked above)

The "step" tutorial earlier in this thread was greatly useful for this.

I got another half dozen of the RT87s coming soon (it's good to have spares!)

In the meantime... I've been muddling through the HAM guide.
Looks like you can even sign up to take the HAM test online.





This is where my signature goes.
 
Posts: 1097 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
creslin...

Did you get a programming cable? I ordered 1 and, although it stated that delivery would be the end of October, it appears as though mine will be here tomorrow.

My radios are working great except that programming is a real pain without the cable. I have about 100 channels I want to store in each radio. For that reason, only 1 has been fully programmed using the keypad on the radio.

Also, did you get your GMRS license so that you can "more legally" use the GMRS bands? It is $70 for a 10-year license. No testing required. Just pay the fee.

Studying now for the Technician License. The next test is on 09/08 here. I do not think I will be ready by then as I have this problem with not accepting anything but a perfect score. I am not there yet and need to complete reading the ARRL study guide and take some practice tests first.


The "Boz"
 
Posts: 1080 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Same...got the ARRL book last week and am only on the section on transistors and diodes...also shooting for 35/35 when I take the test.



quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
creslin...

Did you get a programming cable? I ordered 1 and, although it stated that delivery would be the end of October, it appears as though mine will be here tomorrow.

My radios are working great except that programming is a real pain without the cable. I have about 100 channels I want to store in each radio. For that reason, only 1 has been fully programmed using the keypad on the radio.

Also, did you get your GMRS license so that you can "more legally" use the GMRS bands? It is $70 for a 10-year license. No testing required. Just pay the fee.

Studying now for the Technician License. The next test is on 09/08 here. I do not think I will be ready by then as I have this problem with not accepting anything but a perfect score. I am not there yet and need to complete reading the ARRL study guide and take some practice tests first.


---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.
 
Posts: 2459 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I ordered the cable - still shows late October delivery.
I've only programmed up 2 radios by hand (just a few channels).

70 bucks for 10 years doesn't sound bad at all... I might have to look into that...





This is where my signature goes.
 
Posts: 1097 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Went on to the FCC site last night and filled out the form for GMRS.
Woke up this morning with approval in my inbox.
So I guess I'm now WRJI295 on the GMRS bands.





This is where my signature goes.
 
Posts: 1097 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
I'm just going to interject here that threads like this are one of the reasons why I love this forum. This thread has been BEYOND helpful. Thanks guys.

Was about to say the same. Also, this thread makes me miss JALLEN's posts...
 
Posts: 301 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I got my HAM license earlier this year and also have my GMRS license.

Over last weekend our Overlanding group went out for a couple of days of fun and relaxation. Our “group leader” mandated GMRS comms in all our vehicles. I have the Midlands mentioned previously and they worked OK but a few of our guys comes we’re significantly clearer and came over the air much better.

In talking to them I found out that they both had Kenwood TM-V71 mobile HAM radios with the GMRS channels programmed into them. The major advantage to this is the ability to transmit up to a true 50 watts as opposed to 5-7 in most handhelds.

My Kenwood order arrived today!!! If you find out that you want to dive a little deeper into the HAM pool this might be a great step up.


------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
 
Posts: 4666 | Location: SML & OBX | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I got my HAM license earlier this year and also have my GMRS license.

Over last weekend our Overlanding group went out for a couple of days of fun and relaxation. Our “group leader” mandated GMRS comms in all our vehicles. I have the Midlands mentioned previously and they worked OK but a few of our guys comes we’re significantly clearer and came over the air much better.

In talking to them I found out that they both had Kenwood TM-V71 mobile HAM radios with the GMRS channels programmed into them. The major advantage to this is the ability to transmit up to a true 50 watts as opposed to 5-7 in most handhelds.

My Kenwood order arrived today!!! If you find out that you want to dive a little deeper into the HAM pool this might be a great step up.


Heh... no joking - yesterday I was looking online for what is a good vehicle unit to get.





This is where my signature goes.
 
Posts: 1097 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comm Radio(s) Needed...

© SIGforum 2020