SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Like I was standing still (cliche')
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Like I was standing still (cliche') Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
Last night while travelling southbound on I15 around 10:30 pm I heard an unusual sound that vanished almost as quickly as it appeared. Driving my truck at around 75 mph in the second to the left lane, came a sudden urgent straining drone of a high compression stroker V8 at full throttle in crescendo and nearly instant decrescendo as a purple-ish 15 yr old Camaro streaked by at what had to be 90 mph faster than my own speed. The mutt car sailed past traffic and distance reduced its size remarkably fast. A few seconds later a UHP interceptor in desperate pursuit raced by. I watched the two vehicles briefly as the Camaro began to disappear in the traffic and contours of the highway. Though the event was short lived, I could see the lone trooper was losing the race. I had another 30 miles to go in my travel southward. I half expected to pass either wreckage or a spotlighted arrest scene. But.....nothing. Sometimes I wish I had a police scanner to learn the result of such an episode.

Just thought I'd share. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
There is an app for that. There is an app for everything.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Heck, there is an app to help you find an app at the app store. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Absolutely nothing sounds better than a big V8 running wide open at full song! Smile

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Hard to outrun a radio.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Last night while travelling southbound on I15 around 10:30 pm
When I was a yoof I enjoyed driving fast. Sometimes very fast. Cars, motorcycles, equally enjoyable.

I was always conservative with my speed after dark. I wasn't gutsy enough to out-drive my headlights.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

The two scanner apps I have are 5-0 Radio Pro and Scanner911. They are pretty good, but not as good as actually having a scanner. I forget if I had to pay for the apps or if they were free.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not know about all LE vehicles, but the ones I was familiar with all were top speed controlled by the computer in them. Whereas a street rod...
The cars around here maxed out at either 126-129mph

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 70's I outran a cruiser, but it was short lived as my Challenger was distinctive, and the cops went back to where I started out.

Questioned a few people. They informed them that I could be found at a local campground just about any evening where I was dating a girl.

Sure enough, they came out of their jurisdiction to find me the next evening.

My story, and I'm sticking to it, I had lent my car to a friend the previous night, and everyone at the campground backed me up Razz

Sad for them the guy was from out of state and had headed back to Pittsburg. Case closed!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Last night while travelling southbound on I15 around 10:30 pm
When I was a yoof I enjoyed driving fast. Sometimes very fast. Cars, motorcycles, equally enjoyable.

I was always conservative with my speed after dark. I wasn't gutsy enough to out-drive my headlights.

That's the other thing I forgot to mention. The Camaro had its lights off! No headlights and no tail lights. I never saw him brake so I don't even know if he had brake lights.

The fact that he was really flying and without lights I figured they would head him off with the radio. But in the 30 miles I had left, I did not see hide nor hair of anyone involved.

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a scanner. I don't typically get too good of a signal here in my basement apartment, but I can walk outside and hear most of Utah County.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I outran the ISP one afternoon in about 1974 in my Fiat 4-door sedan. Rush-hour traffic and my ability to weave around it in that small car, as opposed to the Bluesmobile the cop was stuck in made it easy. In fact, I was not even aware he was after me until I realized he'd been chasing me for about 3 miles.

Not proud of it, just stating the facts.

As to no visible brake lights on the Camaro, I'd bet the driver had a cutout switch for situations like the one you saw.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Absolutely nothing sounds better than a big V8 running wide open at full song! Smile

I do miss the sound of my 1956 300B engine with 2 large glasspaks.

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
As to no visible brake lights on the Camaro, I'd bet the driver had a cutout switch for situations like the one you saw.

Or maybe...long shot here...that rather than going through the trouble of wiring a brake light kill, he just never hit the brakes. Doesn't sound like it would have been good for the overall mission.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 80s, my buddy and I drove his '69 Chevelle SS from Kalispell, MT to LA in just over 14 hours. Averaging over 90MPH for the trip down I15. We were well over that once we hit Utah and Nevada. Something about that long straight interstate that just begs you go fast. Big Grin

quote:
That's the other thing I forgot to mention. The Camaro had its lights off! No headlights and no tail lights.

Funny you should mention that. My wife and I were driving down to Vegas for my brother's wedding back in the early 90s. It was night-time when we hit Utah and snowing like crazy. We were cruising down I15 about 50 or so when some guy blew by us with his headlights off. I remember thinking "WTF?". I thought sure we were going to come upon his wreckage soon thereafter, but...nope. A few hours south, it dawned on me that maybe he was on to something. The snow was just hypnotic. Big heavy flakes flying at you at night will just drive you crazy after awhile. So, I thought I'd give it a try. Worked like a charm. There was plenty of ambient light to see safely while not having to deal with the flakes flying at you sensation. I'll still occasionally employ the technique, but only when safe to do so and not around other traffic.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
There was plenty of ambient light to see safely while not having to deal with the flakes flying at you sensation. I'll still occasionally employ the technique, but only when safe to do so and not around other traffic.

It's an entirely different experience when driving with lights off during a full moon on a quiet backroad. Almost relaxing in a way.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
There was plenty of ambient light to see safely while not having to deal with the flakes flying at you sensation. I'll still occasionally employ the technique, but only when safe to do so and not around other traffic.

It's an entirely different experience when driving with lights off during a full moon on a quiet backroad. Almost relaxing in a way.

I learned this trick years ago in a few really bad snowstorms in Montana. It works great.

Now Mr. Camero was doing 150+ with a quarter moon on a road were generally folks don't believe the signs that require slower traffic should stay right. I know that because I'm in your area for a week. What could possibly go wrong?

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the early 80s, my buddy and I drove his '69 Chevelle SS from Kalispell, MT to LA in just over 14 hours. Averaging over 90MPH for the trip down I15. We were well over that once we hit Utah and Nevada. Something about that long straight interstate that just begs you go fast. Big Grin

quote:
That's the other thing I forgot to mention. The Camaro had its lights off! No headlights and no tail lights.

Funny you should mention that. My wife and I were driving down to Vegas for my brother's wedding back in the early 90s. It was night-time when we hit Utah and snowing like crazy. We were cruising down I15 about 50 or so when some guy blew by us with his headlights off. I remember thinking "WTF?". I thought sure we were going to come upon his wreckage soon thereafter, but...nope. A few hours south, it dawned on me that maybe he was on to something. The snow was just hypnotic. Big heavy flakes flying at you at night will just drive you crazy after awhile. So, I thought I'd give it a try. Worked like a charm. There was plenty of ambient light to see safely while not having to deal with the flakes flying at you sensation. I'll still occasionally employ the technique, but only when safe to do so and not around other traffic.

We had a Mercedes that had a snow mode on the head light switch. It worked in much the same way but left the tail and side marker lights on. IIRC the head lights were illuminated but very, very dim.

Given the circumstances, I think Camaro dude got far enough away that he could evade and hide off of the highway without the UHP seeing him exit. I just can't imagine that kind of speed for over thirty miles without an accident or and apprehension.

Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I drove across the US in 1968 while I was in the Navy and was transferred from the east coast to the west coast. I was driving on the interstate in Kansas in my 1967 Z-28 Camaro early one morning.

It was very flat and straight through cornfields on both sides. There was no traffic as far as I could see in either direction. The speed limit was 80 mph and I was doing 95 to 100 mph.

I saw a tiny spec in my rearview mirror gaining on me fast so I slowed to the 80 mph speed limit. A guy in a robin's egg blue 1950 Ford passed me like I was setting still.

I decided to see what he could do when he was about a hundred yards in front of me and I started to press down on the gas pedal. A cop pulled from between rows of corn and turned on his flashing lights right in front of me. I eased off on the gas pedal.

I don't think the engine in that 1950 Ford was stock. Later driving across Nevada when it still had no speed limit was fun in my Z-28.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can imagine that little 302 would really move with some space to stretch its legs. Built to survive @ high rpm too.

Sounds like fun.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post