SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who else is loving their cast iron cookware
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else is loving their cast iron cookware Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
got a cool present for my birthday last week from my mom. 6 1/2" lodge... perfect for cornbread for two (unless I eat it all.)

I think I'm going to have to make that tonight. What size pan?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of CI. I have lodge, birmingham, griswold and I even scored a big Erie.

I love doing cornbread in my lodge cornbread pan (makes wedges) and my wagner cornstick pan. pizza in a big pan makes for a very crunchy crust.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one of these, but it sure looks like a great product. Not cheap, as far as cast iron pans go. Still, cheaper than my Le Creuset though.

http://www.stargazercastiron.com/

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
For Lodge "pre-seasoned" cast iron cookware, do you still season it? I've seen things saying both.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
For Lodge "pre-seasoned" cast iron cookware, do you still season it? I've seen things saying both.

I do, by burning ribeyes in a (super) hot oven. Nothing seasons a pan better than the tallow from a steak creating polymers on the surface of the iron.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 10.25" pan and a large skillet for Christmas. Our old pan had a fishy smell to it from when we lived in NJ and blackened Striped Bass got cooked in it. Our old pan was a hand me down from my parents and might be 40-50 years old.

Anyone know of a way to remove that smell, it cooks into other foods?

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

I season by using it. Hit it with some soap and water to get any residue from the store off of it, then go to town. Rub some butter on it before you cook, and you should be good to go!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I bought a new 10.25" pan and a large skillet for Christmas. Our old pan had a fishy smell to it from when we lived in NJ and blackened Striped Bass got cooked in it. Our old pan was a hand me down from my parents and might be 40-50 years old.

i would use a non citrus based soap and hot water. someone might freak out about using soap, but it is not that big of a deal. non citrus based. and a brush.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
got a cool present for my birthday last week from my mom. 6 1/2" lodge... perfect for cornbread for two (unless I eat it all.)

I think I'm going to have to make that tonight. What size pan?

That's a 6.5", so basically a #3. The recipe, if you can't make it out:

1 Cup Martha White cornmeal mix
1 large egg
1/2-3/4 cup of milk

Grease skillet with shortening and place in 425* oven. Mix ingredients in bowl- should be creamy and pourable. When skillet is hot (7-8 minutes), pour batter in and bake until golden brown (15-20 minutes.) Turn out onto plate and enjoy! Smile

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'll just add this again to another cast iron thread.

It is a MYTH that you cannot use soap with cast iron cookware.

Seasoning, as Signified has stated, is the polymerization of fats. In other words, your cast iron cookware is coated with (basically) plastic. Soap is not going to harm it in any way unless you scrub the hell out of it.

I have been cooking with cast iron skillets, griddles, and dutch ovens for decades and almost always clean them with warm water, a soft scrubber, and Dawn. It works like a charm and doesn't hurt them in any way, shape, or form.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'll just add this again to another cast iron thread.

It is a MYTH that you cannot use soap with cast iron cookware.

Seasoning, as Signified has stated, is the polymerization of fats. In other words, your cast iron cookware is coated with (basically) plastic. Soap is not going to harm it in any way unless you scrub the hell out of it.

I have been cooking with cast iron skillets, griddles, and dutch ovens for decades and almost always clean them with warm water, a soft scrubber, and Dawn. It works like a charm and doesn't hurt them in any way, shape, or form.

B'zactly! Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like deep dish pizza, make it in one of these skillets. It's hard to get the youngest to come over for a visit, but for the pizza from one of these, he'll make the sacrifice! Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We use Finex cast iron skillets and that is about all we use. Once in awhile a carbon steel wok but the cast iron gets most of our time.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

Simply follow the instructions in the previously posted video; if done properly, every bit of organic material should be cooked right out of it, and you're ready to re-season and start from scratch.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15574 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

Simply follow the instructions in the previously posted video; if done properly, every bit of organic material should be cooked right out of it, and you're ready to re-season and start from scratch.

Thanks, for the replies, we'll give it a try!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my cast iron skillets. The only time I would use non stick is perhaps if I were making crepes. And I haven't done that in years.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

For a cleaning device, after years of trying different ways, I strongly recommend a chain mail style scrubber. No soap is ever needed, it will gently scrape away the most stubborn cooked on food, and leave the pan glossy, slick, and uniform. For anyone getting the heebie-jeebies about never using soap, it is cookware; it gets hot enough to kill anything that could possibly get a foothold in it.

Chain mall here too.... absolutely the best method for cleaning cast iron pans!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Out back I do my messy cooking. An old rollup-door lateral drawer file cabinet. On a pull-out shelf, a two burner commercial gas range. 30,000 BTUs per burner. Plus a 30# propane tank and a stack of cast iron cookware of different properties.

The go-to is large and heavy. Has not been washed in years. After use, I'll scrape it, pour out the oil/grease, and wipe it with an old greasy rag. Then flip it upside down and burn the inside.

When it is time to cook, I'll set it right, heat it up until it's smoking, and go to it. Sometimes add olive oil and give it another scrape. Olive oil can take a lot of heat.

Some of the best steaks I've eaten were cooked out back. Make that EVERY of the best steaks. A thin ⅝" cut, seared under a minute per side and its actually overdone. I can eat three or four of them.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
To clean, I will boil water an scrape the chunks off. Then I use a wet paper towel, warm water, and coarse sea salt and scrub the pan. Dry with a dish towel. Then coat with bacon grease or coconut oil.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or does nothing else sound like the snap, crackle and pop of eggs frying on hot oiled cast iron pan?

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post