SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Record Price for a Porsche Sold at Auction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Record Price for a Porsche Sold at Auction Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
The 917K driven by Steve McQueen in the movie Le Mans was sold at the Gooding and Company Auction in Pebble Beach. It brought $14,080,000, a world record for a Porsche. Wonder how many cars of any marque have brought more?

Link with pic

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A F1 brought in $15m.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Wonder how many cars of any marque have brought more?

19. 15 Ferraris, 1 Jaguar, 1 Aston Martin, 1 Alfa Romeo and 1 Mercedes Benz.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Chump change.

The top Ferrari was around $38 million + and there are a number exceeding 25 million.
The number has been going up so fast in recent years that it looks like another bubble to me.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Wow! I saw this beauty going on auction and thought that was nuts...serious chump change at a measly 2 mil.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0...996-porsche-911-gt2/

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Chump change.

Kinda wish I hadn't added the question about cars bringing more. It's been quoted here many times, "Google is your friend." They aren't, but I could have just looked.

The Porsche world is suitably impressed at $14 million +, even if all you Ferrari lovers are not.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You take a 917K and add Steve McQueen to it's interior, you have a WINNER in my books!!!

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This is kind of fun. "Renn" is German for "race." "Rennlist" is the name of the Porsche Forum. This video was connected to a Porsche gathering I believe.

The 917 had a flat-12 engine (the 911 a flat-6). The McQueen 917 was, of course, part of the Gulf-Porsche team fielded in the 70s.

posted Hide Post
That video reminds me why my tinnitus is so bad -- I could never bring myself to cover my ears and miss the symphony of road racing. Being enveloped in the sound of the 917 series Porsches, V-12 and Flat-12 Ferraris, a Cosworth BDA or DFV, cannot be adequately described, only experienced.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
That video reminds me why my tinnitus is so bad -- I could never bring myself to cover my ears and miss the symphony of road racing. Being enveloped in the sound of the 917 series Porsches, V-12 and Flat-12 Ferraris, a Cosworth BDA or DFV, cannot be adequately described, only experienced.

I remember the first time I went to Marenello.
I drove over the little bridge that you enter the town by and suddenly I heard a wail like I had never heard before. The hairs on my arm were literally standing on ends.
I looked at my wife and said "If I die now I would be a happy man"
It turned out that they were testing one of their F1 cars on the factory track in town. We found out where we could look through the fence and see the car tear around the track.
It was a very memorable day.....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely one of the coolest and most iconic race cars of all time. I wonder if Jerry Seinfeld was bidding.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This is a trailer for the 2015 documentary,
Steve McQueen: The Man and Le Mans

Pretty cool too

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Absolutely one of the coolest and most iconic race cars of all time. I wonder if Jerry Seinfeld was bidding.

Last I read Seinfeld has been more interested in selling off his cars.

quote:
Wow! I saw this beauty going on auction and thought that was nuts...serious chump change at a measly 2 mil.

Meh, probably needs its valve guides replaced. Good reason for its owner to think that it's finally time to dump it. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post