SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    homade chili , how hot ? poll
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

homade chili , how hot ? poll Login/Join 
posted
meat, no meat, bean , no bean vegetarian , this ain't about that.

soupy, dry, stackable, creamy , not about that either .

spicy is what this is about

Question:
When you pry yourself away from the forum and take the time to make your perfect chili, how hot do you make it ?

(1 is the weakest heat, ten is hotter than the sun)

Choices:
1 or two is what I prefer
three or four at most
rght exactly at a five
six or seven is most agreeable
always an 8 or above
I don't eat chili

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
If it don't make your nose run then its not hot enough.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I want enough heat where you break a slight sweat/nose run, but where you still get the full flavor of the chili. I hate thing to be hot just to be hot. It should complement, not overpower.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Too hot for the wife to poach the leftovers as a snack is just about perfect!

Posts: 6466 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
If it was being made just for my consumption, I'd make a 6 or 7. Since I have to account for wife and daughters eating it, I stick to a 3-4 range and then add some hot sauce to my own bowl when I'm serving it...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chili and hot peppers are like peanut butter and jelly.....they go together!! I step on my chili pretty hard with cayenne pepper during the preparation process.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like it hot. For myself, I would make it hot enough to that most would call it an 8 or more on the hot scale. (Englishmen would call it inedible.) But I like Thai hot, so on the worldwide heat scale, I make my chili about a 6 or maybe a 7.

I have eaten Thai and Indian food that gives you an endorphin rush from the spice. My chili it no where near that hot.

I tone it down two notches if I am not the only one eating it. When I make it for outsiders (like the recipe I have posted here), it is moderately spicy in my eyes. To me it is about a 4, and others probably would call it a 6.

It is all about what you are used to.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I typically add one Carolina Reaper for every two pounds of ingredients. I don't know where that fits in on your scale, because heat tolerances are very relative.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
My idea of just right is well past what most consider spicy.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I've been known to use entirely too much hot Mexican chilli powderSmile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the culinary side of me wants to enjoy the flavors too

thats what I like as well

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Two Ghost to my pot then taste and add more to my taste.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like a medium (Texas version of medium not Canada version of medium) as I’m trying to avoid 2 things:
  • burn my taste buds where I can’t taste anything
  • have it burn twice (aka experience afterburn)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    Not near as hot as I used to fix it. Prostatitis and a history of bleeding duodenal ulcer will change your desire for spicy foods.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Three or four for the family, then I add a little more crushed red to mine...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The 2nd guarantees the 1st
    Picture of fiasconva
    posted Hide Post
    If it makes my nose run and my scalp sweat it's just about right.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A teetotaling
    beer aficionado
    Picture of NavyGuy
    posted Hide Post
    Usually make it pretty mild as the old lad.... er loving wife doesn't do much spice. Easy enough to add to taste when serving.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of maladat
    posted Hide Post
    If it's just for me, pretty hot.

If it's for my family (wife and two little girls), pretty mild, and then I add a bunch of hot sauce to mine. Smile

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I don't make my own, but I sometimes add chili powder and cayenne pepper to what I buy in a can. (I miss my mom's chili!)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of side_shot
    posted Hide Post
    most of the time i like 8+ sometimes i like 5-6 i just got done putting together a bach of 3 bean chili stew this should be 6-8

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    --Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post