SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PC O/S Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PC O/S Question Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Looks like I have to buy a new PC laptop. What operating system should I get? I've heard such bad things about Windows 10. For business use.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16345 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'm using Windows 10 at work, no real issues with it that I have seen.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
win 10 on the two i just assembled, 4 lap tops all win 10

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Depending on shat you already mnow and are comfortable with, you could run Windows 10, linux or a Mac OS.
Win 10 ain't bad. It's the present and future or MS at this point. The learning curve ain't that steep. My advise is learn beforehand the privacy issues and the way to control some of them. Do some research regarding the updates and the way they get uploaded and distributed and finally, make sure your machine is up to date before you start putting other stuff on it. I hared each and dvery time the damned thing decided it wanted to provide me with a better and improved windows and left me holding my dick while it did so, without my previous consent and no real time schedule. Watching your machine trying to swallow a chunk too large for three hours when you turned it one because hou needed access immediately ain't fun. Hated it. Both times. The first, unexpected one, I thought my HD was dead and gave up hope. The second time I was resigned but necertheless mad at the fucking procedure.

0-00

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "business use"?
Being a Microsoft IT guy I would naturally recommend W10.
If your are only using it singly for internet, email, some basic apps then Linux or Apple works too.
MS in a multi-user LAN environment with local resources such as file sharing, printing, and the use of additional common business apps (check your app's requirements) the Windows 10 would far superior.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Windows 10 Pro for the added benefit of BitLocker and Remote Desktop.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have Win 7 on my laptop at home (XP on another older desktop that I only really use as a printer host, but it will be replaced as soon as I can spare the funds). My Win 7 development laptop at work got replaced by a Win 10 machine a few months ago, and once I got used to the slightly different Start menu, it's been great.

The other thing to keep in mind is that as good as Win 7 is, it will be end-of-lifed by Microsoft at some point, but support for Win 10 will continue for at least as long as any machine you buy now will last.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I have Win 7 on my laptop at home (XP on another older desktop that I only really use as a printer host, but it will be replaced as soon as I can spare the funds). My Win 7 development laptop at work got replaced by a Win 10 machine a few months ago, and once I got used to the slightly different Start menu, it's been great.

The other thing to keep in mind is that as good as Win 7 is, it will be end-of-lifed by Microsoft at some point, but support for Win 10 will continue for at least as long as any machine you buy now will last.

Although not totally impossible (to get W7), virtually all new PC's are Windows 10. Unless there is some specific legacy requirement it would not be wise to get a new PC with W7.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post