SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Meet the Navy ships named after the Confederacy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meet the Navy ships named after the Confederacy Login/Join 
posted
http://www.navytimes.com/news/...-of-the-confederacy/

Excellent article here. Quote from the article "Naming ships after defeated enemies of the United States remains baffling to Earl J. Higgins, a 75-year-old retired Navy officer, author and lawyer who wrote about the issue earlier this year.

I am not suggesting any name changes, just thought this might be of interest.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
75 years, and just now he's complaining?

Kept his mouth shut to reach retirement, and all the years since?

Nope. Not interested.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted the article because I found it historically interesting. To paraphrase Condi Rice, it is wrong to sanitize history to make you feel better.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The naming conventions of the Navy's ships have been screwed up for the last 20+ years anyways, this is just the least of the problems. If anything, whomever the new SECNAV is hopefully will lay the law down and require a level of consistency and expectation for these honorariums.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
the names may have been the result of clout held by southern U.S. legislators.

AKA the Dixiecrat's

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Southern Poverty Law Center timeline shows a spike in schools named after the Confederacy — as well as other monuments and tributes — during the Civil Rights struggles of the 1960s, the same decade the Navy commissioned the Lee, Jackson and Hunley.

That is, the decade that saw the Centennial of the Civil War and all its battles.

Personally, I think everyone should watch not only GWTW, but Birth of A Nation. Heck, I even walked out of Bob Hope's "Son of Paleface" because of all the racist jokes against Indians. Times have changed, we've changed; the truth is there are very, very few overt racists in the US today (at least among whites). The Civil Rights campaigns of the 60's were extremely successful...then came affirmative action...then Obama...50 years of progress in race relations set back to 1970 at best.

Hillary gave Trump the biggest boost of his campaign with her self-righteous "Deplorables" comment.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I posted the article because I found it historically interesting. To paraphrase Condi Rice, it is wrong to sanitize history to make you feel better.

My comments, for the most part when an article is posted, are in response to the article, and not directed to the poster.

If it is in response to something someone posts, it should be pretty clear.

I certainly don't take posting of stories to be the poster's POV.

That said, my reply is not about the history, I do find it interesting, but the sniveling of someone so long in tooth, when he had opportunity to bring it up earlier in life, rather than being an also ran in a hot button topic.

And such "reports" are, in my opinion, shit stirring. (by the media)

And it is also my position that one stirring shit should have to lick the spoon.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The daily news about the destruction of our history and culture is really pissing me off. This must be what the Chinese felt like during the 1960's, or what a German felt like during the 1930's. This won't end well.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Naming ships after defeated enemies of the United States ...

The "enemy" being fellow Americans is a little different than naming a ship, for example, USS Tojo. Roll Eyes And this has me curious, are there ships named after Indians/Native Americans? They were a "defeated enemy," but we have all kinds of things named after them and monuments to them, which some people also wish to remove. As well, humans have a long, if inconsistent, tradition of honoring worthy adversaries in battle.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.oneofmanyfeathers.c...ative_americans.html

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for that link. All of this is very interesting to me from a historical and psychological viewpoint. In addition to Navy ships, I never knew the origins of Army posts, ie Fort Hood, Fort Gordon, Fort Benning, as the article points out.

Since History is only taught in a limited way in today's schools, I can imagine the majority of Americans have no idea of the origin of these names.

my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
That is ridiculous. Naming a ship after a battle where brave United States Soldiers, Marines and Sailors gave their lives for their country but didn't obtain a strategic victory is not a plug for the enemy.

We have had ships named after Chosin, Wake Island, and Pearl Harbor than doesn't mean we are venerating the Japanese Navy and the Peoples liberation Army.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post