SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $7,500 Tax Credit - Electric Vehicle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$7,500 Tax Credit - Electric Vehicle Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
Earlier, while watching a YouTube review of the new Tesla Model 3, I️ thought to myself, “Self, why not buy a cheap electric car and get that $7,500 tax credit next year?

So I️ went to find the cheapest Electric vehicle I️ could possibly find.

They’re all like $30,000. This thing would likely just sit in the garage for a while and get very light use.

I thought I could find a new one for like $20,000.

No such luck.

BTW, looks like That $7,500 credit will take a hike with the new tax bill. So those of you serious buyers, you’ve got til 12/31.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Yep, that and Elon's production problems are really going to put the pressure on Tesla and their investors. UBS slashes Tesla profit estimates predicting more Model 3 problems

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Electric car sales plummet when the tax credits are removed.

quote:
Georgia electric vehicle sales shrink 80% in wake of tax credit repeal

https://www.utilitydive.com/ne...redit-repeal/434092/

quote:
Tesla Falls Short on Early Model 3 Shipment Goal
Tesla’s first mass-market electric car languishes in “production hell.”

https://www.greentechmedia.com...ment-goal#gs.u0OJwsg

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Does the tax credit extend to motorcycles? Victory had a E-bike called the empulse TT that originally retailed for something like $20,000 and due to terrible sales I've seen em marked down to $8-9k. It is actually a pretty neat motorcycle design as it has a tach, 6-speed tranny and clutch but because it is 100% electric it is impossible to stall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I haven’t really researched electric vehicles, but the thing I don’t like about them is you seem to only be able to use it for short travel to work and what do you do if you can’t charge it at work for getting home? You then need another vehicle for long distance travel unless you feel like stopping at charging stations and waiting however long it takes to charge the car before continuing.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I haven’t really researched electric vehicles, but the thing I don’t like about them is you seem to only be able to use it for short travel to work and what do you do if you can’t charge it at work for getting home? You then need another vehicle for long distance travel unless you feel like stopping at charging stations and waiting however long it takes to charge the car before continuing.

Saw a thread recently about someone driving their Tesla from Salt Lake City to Denver. Took them 19 hours.

A Yugo can do the trip in about 8 hours. LOL

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Who gives a shit how far you can go? You get to pat yourself on the back AND post on facebook about your new purchase. That's what these are about. Get with the program man. Imagine if you can tell your friends you are a Vegan, gluten free, pesticide free, NMO, free range (range is limited to 60 mi), organic, electric car driving, non-cis gendered, zhe?

That's what these are about, bragging rights. I am more socially and environmentally conscious than you, so suck it.

Not ready for prime time yet for most of America, but around here where *some* people have short drives and live in mixed use housing it is actually possible to drive one. Yes you need your spouse to have a real car, but I've met many couples who make it work. I'm sure they are very proud of themselves too.

As far as tax breaks, fuck that noise. Why does Elon Musk get his business subsidized? I rather have those tax breaks go towards current US obligations and wait ten years until electric cars are ergonomically viable on their own.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many years I drove Diesel powered cars and rode motorcycles. Fuel mileage 45-55 mpg. Didn't have to plug in and no BIG battery to worry about.

Tax credits? HA!

I often wonder if Toyota got some back door $$$$ from our Feds?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Electric car sales plummet when the tax credits are removed.

quote:
Georgia electric vehicle sales shrink 80% in wake of tax credit repeal

https://www.utilitydive.com/ne...redit-repeal/434092/

quote:
Tesla Falls Short on Early Model 3 Shipment Goal
Tesla’s first mass-market electric car languishes in “production hell.”

https://www.greentechmedia.com...ment-goal#gs.u0OJwsg

One can only hope. Electric vehicles are not ready for prime time yet and I do not wish to subsidize them.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't know why EV's should get a tax credit

if anything, they should an additional tax to help make up for the revenue shortfall they create

they don't go to the gas stations so they don't pay the road tax from gasoline but they contribute to the wear and tear on the road surface

where is the repair and maintenance money supposed to come from if the users are skating the system?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in the country and am a small rancher. They are impractical for me.

Even in liberal Austin, Texas with spaces to recharge them at many locations, few people want or even want one.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I would not mind a electric car. If and when they have comparable range and performance of available cheaper gas cars. An electric M/C for around town would be a hoot if it can get out of it's own way. and was cheap enough to purchase.

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Does a golf cart count?

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
There should not be a tax credit for electric cars. No reason to subsidize the purchase of something like this.
That said, I actually own one. I bought it for a city car in Europe. It is small, holds my family of 4 and when we bought it in 2014, you could park for free all over my city. Small and free parking were the only reasons we bought it. It rides terribly, the range is horrible, and it takes a long time to charge.
I did not buy it to be green or anything like that.
I have other gas cars and they are too big or too inconvenient to drive in the city, one even has 12 cylinders which at European gas prices, makes little sense to drive. Eventually, I will get out of this city, sell the electric car and I do not plan to ever buy one again if I can help it. Perhaps if they are really ready for prime time, I would consider, but for now, it was a means to an end for me.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only know two guys with electric cars, both have Teslas, both make lots of money and are normies (eat steak, drink beer, play hockey). It isn't always about being green, some of these cars are really cool.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
I would not mind a electric car. If and when they have comparable range and performance of available cheaper gas cars.
That's only part of the achilles heal of these things. Electrics can provide performance to rival gas powered cars. And some even offer reasonable range for local commuting. But the main drawback is the hours required to recharge and the nervousness of running out of juice. We're an instant gratification culture at this point, and few people are willing to wait hours on their car to become usable again regardless the 'perceived' benefit to the environment, when a fuel up at the local gas station is only a couple minutes and results in hundreds of more miles of regular use.

Until battery tech takes another leap into the future, these things will be nothing more than toys to some, and the wet dream of liberals.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota plug in Prius models give you the option of full electric for a short distance (like 25 miles) and then it switches over to the hybrid gas/electric engine. The hybrids are not for everyone but I got a really good deal on mine. Not as cool as a Tesla, but cheaper and more versatile for most folks. I know that I have driven over 525 miles per tank (10 gallons) at highway speed with my Prius, which is pretty good range.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23425 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
I only know two guys with electric cars, both have Teslas, both make lots of money and are normies (eat steak, drink beer, play hockey). It isn't always about being green, some of these cars are really cool.

Right.

There are two distinct classes of electric cars and their customers.

Teslas, and everthing else. Teslas are cool cars, period. The rest, well, aren't, not really.

Neither should get a tax credit.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
An electric M/C for around town would be a hoot if it can get out of it's own way. and was cheap enough to purchase.

Those are in the works. Have a look at Zero Motorcycles, if you haven't already heard of them.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post