SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School Snow Day
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School Snow Day Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
It’s -11* (actual) this morning, to go with the 5 or 6” of new snow. Roads snowpacked and/or icy.

Snow day for the schools? Big Grin

We live in Wyoming

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Hell, those conditions the road should be nice and taciy. 2wd would do just fine.

Twenty below here and a foot of snow a couple of days ago. Things are normal here.

Wussies! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, in the words of Sinclair Lewis- "Winter is not a season, it's an occupation."

Unless you live in the South Razz

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Teaches kids character.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, in the words of Sinclair Lewis- "Winter is not a season, it's an occupation."

I’ll have to ponder that one...
O-Kay-y, I’m trackin’

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't remember even one "snow day" through 12 years of school growing up.

Those that made it made it and those who didn't didn't. Pretty simple formula back then.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I don't remember even one "snow day" through 12 years of school growing up.

Those that made it made it and those who didn't didn't. Pretty simple formula back then.

You know, Gus, it really is a regional thing. We lived at 7,000’ on the Coconino Plateau in N AZ. Big winter storms occurred with some frequency. The schools in the area were pretty quick to cancel school there, and I recall one winter when our kids were off an entire week when school was cancelled.

Up here, like you describe.

posted Hide Post
We got just enough ice here to close everything. Watched a neighbor slowly creep out of his driveway just to keep sliding into the other neighbor’s yard.

Amazing how such a thin layer can be so difficult.

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
People who live in the South don't spend two hours a day shoveling snow.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’ll remember this in August when it’s 95* with 88% humidity and not a breath of air down there Wink

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
We walked to our grade school a mile away in January temps as low as -35. Once at the school, some of us were waiting on a teacher or someone to open up. This morning it was -15, sunny and no wind. Meh, just another Arctic blast to weed out the the whiners Smile Last summer was a smoky hot SOB and we were praying for winter...

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left Jackson on Sunday about an hour late since they couldn't push the plane back from the gate due to all the snow. They could move it about 15 feet before it would stop. After about 3-4 running start attempts, I guess they brought out the shovels and dug it out. We never have that problem in Raleigh.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

Builds character.
Or so I'm told.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 2 inches of snow today with a thin coat of ice over it. My landlord, using his Case end loader with 24 foot blade and his Kubota with mounted snow blower have already come and gone.
28 degrees. Warm.
So.... Just another day in the Queen city of the lake!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

I’ll remember this in August when it’s 95* with 88% humidity and not a breath of air down there Wink

95* & 88%, might need a jacket for that.
Houston in August is more like 100* 100% Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I expect it has to do with where (and to some extent, when) you grew up.

Central Lower Peninsula Michigan, 50's and 60's. SOP was for everyone to sit as far back in the bus as seats were available to put as much weight over the drive wheels as possible. Big ol scoop shovel behind the last row of seats for when that didn't work. A few big ol' corn-fed farm boys would usually make short work of digging out the bus and continuing on the route.

There were probably others, but the only "snow days" I remember was sometime around 1965 we had a "Christmas Blizzard" and Christmas vacation was extended a few days until things got dug out. On our road, that consisted of a Galion road grader pushing a V plow, itself being pushed by a dozer. Fun times.

I've mentioned before that I don't do heat and humidity. Not thrilled about 0° and 40 knots of wind either, but I deal with that better than triple digit temps and air so thick you can cut it with a knife.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

95* & 88%, might need a jacket for that.
Houston in August is more like 100* 100% Eek
A Texan told me once a long time ago. “Ya ever get a chance to go to Houston. Pass it by.”

Probably unfair, but it sounded sincere and so far, I’ve taken the advice to heart.

Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Savannah is 105* and 120%. ya'll dont know heat. Its just snow, rest of us gotta work.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Right now it's 28 degrees, freezing rain, sleet and snow in OKC.

I don't mind the snow but freezing rain is dangerous.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Detroit, Michigan. We did get some snow, but I don't recall ever having school canceled because of it. Of course, the city is flat as a pancake and they salted and plowed the streets pretty quickly. And in grade school we all walked there and back (1/2 mile or less--every square mile had a school in it). Those conditions don't exist today, of course.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post