SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hardwood flooring
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardwood flooring Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
With such a small square footage, I'd do yourself.

Check out Floor and Decor, they opened one in Draper. I went with a 5/8 solid oak Timberclick. It can be nailed, glued or floated. I went with glue ($1.25-1.50/sf) plus the $5/sf for the wood. I've been very happy with it.

I stayed away from engineered wood for the same clickity-clack sound. Is tile an option?

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
We put a high quality engineered wood floor (Hickory) in our second den about 8 years ago. It is a very high traffic area as it leads to the garage. It has held up so well that about 6 months ago we put in similar floors throughout most of the house. It too looks great and I think it will also hold up.

As far as cleaning, we've found that Swiffer dry mop works well unless you've got big chunks (food, lots of dog hair etc) in which case vacuum first followed by Swiffer. Then once a month or so, we us Bona Hardwood Floor cleaner. Easy.. just squirt the floor as you go and wipe/spread with Bona's micro fiber mop. Takes about 20-30 minutes to do the whole house if furniture doesn't need to be moved.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I went with lux vinyl (over concrete, with poly as a barrier) a couple of years ago. My dog had ruined my carpet. It looks like new, isn't too noisy, hard, or cold. It's super easy to clean, and wet accidents are no longer a big deal.

I will say that at least to me, I can tell by looking it's not real wood, but I don't know if it's as obvious to guests. Also, even though it's got a fair amount of grain texture to it, my dog easily slips on it, which I don't like.

Overall, I'm very happy with my choice.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post