SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    *UPDATE - I baked it in the oven * Mid-2011 27" iMac - Won't Boot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*UPDATE - I baked it in the oven * Mid-2011 27" iMac - Won't Boot Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I jus happened to be looking at some of my old posts and saw this thread. Figured I’d update.

Anyway, 15 months later and my 2011 27” iMac is still trucking along. She’s almost 7 1/2 years old now and gets heavy use, daily. I still can’t believe baking the graphics card in the oven fixed it.

I’m serious when I say this thing runs like the day I bought it.

And now that I posted I just know it’s gonna die again next week.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Mine still trucking too.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16344 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’d love to hear a tech explanation of why baking it fixes the problem.

Or maybe baking it does nothing and it is just disconnecting/reconnecting that resolves a compromised or corroded connector/connection ?????

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or maybe baking it does nothing and it is just disconnecting/reconnecting that resolves a compromised or corroded connector/connection ?????

This is my first guess, but I ain’t no com-puter genius...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Baking reflows bad epoxy solder

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’d love to hear a tech explanation of why baking it fixes the problem.

Explanation is in the last post at the bottom of page 2.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
This is good to hear, after 15 months.
My 2009 24" iMac is still trucking along. A new SSD and some additional RAM was added this year.
Still smoking fast, and does what I need.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have a 2007 core2duo popped by lightning
I'll eventually fix it

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good on you for salvaging it and not sending to the dump prematurely. I saved an old iMac by putting in a new HD. 10 years later it still works pretty good and now my neighbor uses it. I had a spare drive just laying around.

Recently my Lenovo W530 I bought about 6 years ago needed some minor work. The keyboard needed repair and the old HD was reallly slow. Added a 250gb ssd and a new keyboard panel for $100 combined. 4 screws!!! Some might say it's 6 years old. It is...but with an i7 and a workstation graphics card. My 2018 i5 ITX build is actually slower performance. But it was also half the price.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for....computer and components are very linear in price vs performance. If you always buy a bottom-of-barrel computer or the lowest specs relative to what you need, the computer will no doubt have a shorter shelf life. If you get a computer with a modern architecture and components you should expect it to be usable for a longer period of time. Of course, there's exceptions...like users who have needs for cutting-edge technology.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
This is good to hear, after 15 months.
My 2009 24" iMac is still trucking along. A new SSD and some additional RAM was added this year.
Still smoking fast, and does what I need.

It's pretty great!

I've been strictly Apple since 2009 and it was a great move indeed.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have heard of (and had experience with) refrigerating an unresponsive hard disk. Sometimes you can revive it long enough to get the data off of it. Never heard of baking a video card, though.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post