SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    *UPDATE - I baked it in the oven * Mid-2011 27" iMac - Won't Boot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*UPDATE - I baked it in the oven * Mid-2011 27" iMac - Won't Boot Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
My 27" iMac (mid-2011 model) started restarting today over and over and over again. It won't fully boot.

There are 5 vertical pink bars displaying on the gray boot screen.

Have any iMac owners had this issue? I'm wondering if it's something that I can replace on my own. The machine has been rock solid for 6 years and I'd hate to see it go now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Copefree,

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I also have a mid-2011 27" iMac. Never seen anything like what you're describing (knock wood).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
My 27" iMac (mid-2011 model) started restarting today over and over and over again. It won't fully boot.

There are 5 vertical pink bars displaying on the gray boot screen.

Have any iMac owners had this issue? I'm wondering if it's something that I can replace on my own. The machine has been rock solid for 6 years and I'd hate to see it go now.

It might just be a NVRAM (PRAM) battery. However, this requires disassembly of the iMac.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Googling suggests several possible causes- PRAM battery, graphic cards, unplugging and re-plugging all peripherals, the usual long list of possibilities, ranging from free to hunnerts-of-dollars. Below is the most bizarre- baking your graphic card in the oven. I have no idea if this is real, so try-at-your-own-risk...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don'know how big of a city you live in. First of course is looking for an Apple Store in your city.
Some Best Buy stores have an Apple area. Check there to see who to contact at you local Mac User Group. Experts will be there.
A 27 inch iMac is a bit to lug around but if you do have an Apple Store, leave the thing in your car and go into the Apple Store and see if anyone at the Genius Bar (in back) can help you and if so, then lug it in. There will be no charge at the Apple Store.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have a 21.5" iMac, same vintage as yours, in the office at the hangar. Never seen anything like what you describe.

In a preceding post, Horn gave two suggestions. Reversing the order, I agree with getting a free diagnosis at an Apple Store. Unfortunately, if parts need to be replaced, I think that they'll tell you that they no longer support, nor have parts for, this computer due to its age. If so, they should be able to tell you where to take if for repair at an Apple Authorized third party repair shop.

Horn suggested Best Buy. I personally would not trust them to change a battery in a flashlight.

Your location shows Seattle area. In the Good Old Days I would have used the Yellow Pages of the phone book, today it's Google, but you should be able to find many, many, shops that specialize in buying, selling, and repairing Apple equipment. There are a bunch here in Central Florida and I'd bet there are more in your area. I would trust one of these places way more than I would trust Best Buy.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make an appointment at a Genious bar at the Apple Store. Superb customer service

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
See this page and check your serial number for a free replacement program...

Apple opens graphics card replacement program for some mid-2011 iMacs

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Looks like that has timed out. The linked article says that the replacement program is good for three years after purchase; OP's iMac is a 2011 model. Frown

Although it couldn't hurt to try. Sometimes Apple goes above and beyond.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Below is the most bizarre- baking your graphic card in the oven. I have no idea if this is real, so try-at-your-own-risk...

I did this to a video card in one of my laptops and it worked fixed it for about eight months. Considering I had nothing to lose, it was worth it.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Looks like that has timed out. The linked article says that the replacement program is good for three years after purchase; OP's iMac is a 2011 model. Frown

Although it couldn't hurt to try. Sometimes Apple goes above and beyond.

Oh, bummer. Well, does your model show up on the list? At least you'll know what's wrong:

quote:
The last four characters of the serial number must contain one of the following groups (for example, xxxxxxxxDHJQ):

DHJQ, DHJW, DL8Q, DNGH, DNJ9, or DMW8

DPM1, DPM2, DPNV, DNY0, DRVP, DY6F, F610

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
My 2009 27" iMac just had that problem. Its a video board issue and after investigating the potential cost of a fix and because of the age of the computer I opted for new computer. I was lucky that I do/did time machine backups and when this started happening it was intermittent so I actually got a another backup just prior to it fully failing. I did discover, with mine at least, that I can still boot it up in Target mode and totally access all my files if I wish.

Posts: 274 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
My guess is video card.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*** UPDATE ***

So I decided, after reading about multiple people who had pulled the graphics card and baked it in the oven (8 minutes at 400º), I'd give it a shot -- nothing to lose, right? Member Kkina above mentioned it as well.

I took the iMac apart, which was a semi-bitch because I had to yank the entire logic board to access the graphics card. Once I had the card out, I threw it in the oven and let it bake.

I just got finished reassembled the iMac and turned it on and ... wow, it worked. I'm typing this post from the computer. I'm pretty shocked it worked.

I'll take it!

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Cool

That's hot

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Smile Smile Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
*** UPDATE ***

So I decided, after reading about multiple people who had pulled the graphics card and baked it in the oven (8 minutes at 400º), I'd give it a shot -- nothing to lose, right? Member Kkina above mentioned it as well.

I took the iMac apart, which was a semi-bitch because I had to yank the entire logic board to access the graphics card. Once I had the card out, I threw it in the oven and let it bake.

I just got finished reassembled the iMac and turned it on and ... wow, it worked. I'm typing this post from the computer. I'm pretty shocked it worked.

I'll take it!

I'd back it up ASAP as that may not last.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ It's always backed up. I have Time Machine running so I'm all good there.

For some people this only fixes the problem for a couple of days but I've seen other cases where it fixes it for a long time (2+ years).

I didn't want to invest several hundred dollars into a six year old computer -- I'd rather have just bought a new iMac. Which I'll do, when this thing finally gives out.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nice. Glad it worked.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post