SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country. Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
These pictures are nuts...

31 more in the link
https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs53...V1qn-mRCyCaWtGbdQU1M

quote:
Pro tip compliments of my neighbors: if your water is shut off or pipes are frozen, fill your bath tub with snow and use the water for your toilets

To all my northern friends, don’t judge us. We are learning the hard way

That's actually an awesome tip I never heard before.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, the pipe under my sink has thawed and is broken. My kitchen, bathroom, and part of the adjacdnt rooms are flooded with water. Probably some bleeding over to the unit next door, too. Finally got hold of the water utility and they will be sending someone to cut off the water to the house. I've filled several containers for drinking, and have a large trash can full for toilet flushing. It's a mess! I've also put in a request to ServPro for water cleanup.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize that The Day After Tomorrow was actually a documentary.

Seriously, everyone is dealing with the immediate issues (not freezing to death.) But how much permanent damage is being done? This is going to be in the 10s of
billions.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I didn't realize that The Day After Tomorrow was actually a documentary.

Seriously, everyone is dealing with the immediate issues (not freezing to death.) But how much permanent damage is being done? This is going to be in the 10s of
billions.

Amen to the movie “The Day After Tomorrow”. I watched it again just a week or so ago.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
As I mentioned earlier. A small Honda generator and a 5 gallon container of gas and a couple of quality extension cords and this would of been a very survivable inconvenience. Maybe when it's all over some will take necessary precautions to be able to stay home and ride out a future version in relative comfort for no more than the cost of another arsenal item. Wink
A single 5 gallon gas can is too little. During this and during hurricanes, gas stations are without power too. You don’t want to be driving to a gas station with power then waiting in line for several hours every day. You want several days of gasoline.

If you have an outdoor kitchen or other external natural gas connection, I suggest a tri-fuel generator which runs on gas, propane, or natural gas. On natural gas, you just purr along until you hit your oil change hours. No having to store gasoline, no risk of fire filling up near a hot exhaust, no risk of turds robbing your house while at gas station, etc.

Speaking of oil change hours, your portable generator will likely need an oil change every 24 hours to 48 hours (read your manual). Back when I had a portable generator, I kept a 5 qt jug of synthetic motor oil for it in my hurricane kit. This is something that runs out a few days before a hurricane. Seriously, buy a $14 jug of Walmart’s synthetic motor oil (blue bottle with brand name of Super Tech) and keep with hurricane kit.

You need a chain or cable snd a stout lock. I used to chain mine to a tree before I even started it. To turds, a generator is a 100+ decibel invitation to come steal it. They’re clever too and the most memorable Houston news story during Hurricane Ike was the homeowner didn’t have his shed locked so the thieves started his lawn mower and left it running while they stole his generator and the family didn’t realize it for hours because of the sound of an engine running. In Hurricane Ike, it tore my gate hinges off and I found people I’ve never met before in my backyard staring at my generator.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, the pipe under my sink has thawed and is broken. My kitchen, bathroom, and part of the adjacdnt rooms are flooded with water. Probably some bleeding over to the unit next door, too. Finally got hold of the water utility and they will be sending someone to cut off the water to the house. I've filled several containers for drinking, and have a large trash can full for toilet flushing. It's a mess! I've also put in a request to ServPro for water cleanup.

flashguy

flashguy I think we are really close to each other. If you need water, food or take a shower hit me up. My email is in my profile.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

flashguy I think we are really close to each other. If you need water, food or take a shower hit me up. My email is in my profile.
Thank you, but I will be fine. My Handyman is dealing with the issue and I have food and water on hand. I do appreciate the offer of assistance, however.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Cool, good luck. I'm in the Legacy area along the tollway for future reference.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Regarding the tip about filling your tub with snow and using the water to flush your toilets, how will the snow melt if your house is freezing? Also, the volume of water in snow is usually very little, depending on the type of snow. Its better than nothing I guess.

Posts: 2512 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to what I read, 1 cup melts down to approx 1 tablespoon .

I did the calculation a few days ago but forgot the exact numbers. It was something well over over 300 tablespoons for a standard 1.6 gallon flush.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
For those of you who are facing water damage with unknown response times from mitigation companies take it from those of us who are flood prone areas. Mold can develop. If you have wet carpets, walls, etc, don't wait weeks for somebody to get to you (unless your insurance will pay for the mold mitigation as a result of the water/flood damage).

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post