SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather, single digit forecast in Texas Hill Country. Login/Join 
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Assortment of HEB sausage. Check
Canned baked beans. Check
Loaf of bread. Check

I think I'll make it through Wednesday. Although, the forecast for next Monday is in the 70s.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This is great chili weather so I've got a batch of Texas Red simmering on the stove.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
4 weeks from tomorrow daylight savings time starts.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
This is great chili weather so I've got a batch of Texas Red simmering on the stove.

Great minds....I put a pot on this afternoon along with a fresh pan of cornbread and freshly grated sharp cheddar Cool

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Loaf of bread. Check

I think I'll make it through Wednesday. Although, the forecast for next Monday is in the 70s.
I had been warned by my Handyman that a very bad several days was coming and I went to the supermarket yesterday and stocked up in foods for me and my cats. We're good for a while now.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching a neighbors sprinkler system freeze and spew water everywhere....I see some don’t even have an insulation bag on theirs. I put mine on the sprinklers system valves and also put a trouble light under there to keep it warm.

My outdoor spigots are the freeze proof kind, but none of them will turn- the valve is back in the wall, but our walls are only two by fours....so they will probably freeze and rupture....I guess I’ll be cutting drywall in the MBR and kids room to fix them, as I’m sure they are crimped onto PEX vs piped in and secured to the studs....good thing is, I know how to do plumbing and drywall.

Ohh yeah, we had chili and cornbread tonight. I’ve got a 12 pack of fat tire and half a bottle of Irish whiskey...I know I’ll make it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Remember fellow Texans to cover your outdoor faucets.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Loaf of bread. Check

Last night the wife and I made a variation of kale-sausage soup but substituting cabbage. My dad gave us a bottle of 1993 William Hill Napa cab that he said was turning into vinegar so I dumped that in to enrich the broth. The sausage was HEB original link. Tonight I crock-potted Goya red beans. We'll bake a pound cake in the AM, smells good and warms the house.

For the pipes, I bought the 3M faucet covers, $8.50 each but cheaper than repairs. The indoor faucets are dripping, cabinets open. The hot water ran cold for about 80 seconds before warm water flowed. I should run it again during the mid-night wee wee.

Is it a bad thing to purge the pipes for big temperature drop? Other than flushing the toilet?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Leave any vanity / cabinet doors open that have plumbing which are on outside walls, typically sink cabinets and some bath vanities. If you have any other hidden plumbing (bath tub, shower, etc.), on an outside wall let the faucets drip. Open outdoor faucets, leave them open then shut off the water supply to them inside.
That's crazy cold for that far south, good luck.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it a bad thing to purge the pipes for big temperature drop? Other than flushing the toilet?

^^^^^^^^^
Just drip the water on the inside faucets. We ran them all winter in Wisconsin. The only pipe that froze was downstairs and we thawed it with a hair dryer before it burst. That year the frost level was nine feet deep. Burials were a problem.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Where is Global Warming when ya need it? Eek

It certainly isn't up here. Eek

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
It has been -40 here in Alberta for a week. I laugh at your single digit temperature.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Single digits! Ha!! I'd be happy with single digits below zero temps. We are on week two of double digit below zero temps. This morning was minus 31. We are heading for the Texas Hill country in a month. Staying at a B&B just outside Austin. Taking a 3 day outdoor Texas BBQ cooking course. I sure hope it warms up down there by then but anything will be an improvement over what we have been having.

My daughter-in-law spent a few years growing up in MN, said the rule was take two car keys when you go shopping. Park, lock the car door, but leave the engine running. Otherwise, when you finish shopping and get back to the car, the engine might be frozen and won't start.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weather guy says once in lifetime event for Texas. Freezing temps, rain ice snow repeat. 3 polar storm systems. One (1) degree for Austin Tues AM. Hill Country where I am is usually slightly cooler.

News guy said elect companies expecting failures due to lack of generating capacity and ice damaging lines. Already some Austin folks out of power for 3 days.

Intrepid traveler suggested heat tape. I looked at ranch store and big box hardware website. None stock it locally and out on web. I will order some for the future. It looks like the answer for future.

I wrapped the hose bibs with insulation tape then covered with styro cover.

I have some outdoor xmas LED string lights. Maybe I’ll wrap them around the covers. It’ll be a little heat.

Firewood is ready.

Not only am I bringing the brass monkey and balls in, I’m gonna roll the cannons into the garage.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
That's February in Texas. People get used to it. It's the difference in the temp swings that can be really extraordinary. Just in recent memory, one February back in the the mid 90's, we went from 8f to 80f within about 14-15 hours here in North Texas. The EPA mandated winter blend (oxygenated) fuel tends to foam badly above certain temps. The sudden warm up took out thousands of older fuel pumps when they sucked foam instead of fuel on cars and trucks with relatively low tanks. Sending the pump motors to max RPM with no liquid to cool them was all it took. Tow trucks lined up for blocks to drop them off at shops. With only so many replacements to go around, many were down for weeks and weeks.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7252 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did all the outside prep and my son stocked up the fireplace with wood. We have a pellet stove if need be. I also have a downed tree and a STHL chainsaw so heat will not be a problem.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Happy (cold) Valentine's Day!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
+1. Then place a plastic bag over it and tie wrap it as well.
quote:
Originally posted by BillF:
Outdoor hose faucets are particularly vulnerable. Local lore says wrap them or mount styrofoam covers made for this purpose.

I stuff old wool socks inside the covers and wrap more around the outside if needed.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I made sure I have inside shutoffs for my outside spigots. I've always wondered about those foam covers they sell. Doesn't cold penetrate styrofoam? It always seemed to me that cold gets through anything, it might just take a little longer.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My spigots have indoor shutoffs. I turn them off, drain them and put a foam cover on.

If you have floor heat vents the underside of your house is somewhat heated.

We really do not do anything special here. I’ve seen it hit -18 below. Our foundation is just blocks. We do have our ductwork down there though.

Sprinkler systems do get blown out with air though. I quit using mine because that was such a pain.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post