SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    dashcam recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dashcam recommendations? Login/Join 
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted
I'm thinking about installing a dashcam in my car. From a little research, there's many different types. I'd like something that is easy to install, perhaps mounts to the rearview mirror or on the windshield rather than the dash itself. Not too expensive and prefer a portable unit rather than something hardwired to the car's power source. Rearview cam isn't important unless it's super easy to install without the hassle of removing too much of the interior to run the wires.
What to avoid?
Recommendations on specific cameras?

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I am having good service from a Garmin Dashcam 35 mounted on the dashboard. I find it easier to conceal when parked and a much shorter wire run to the accessory outlet.

You will get 1000 suggestions and 999 will be different.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a Street Guardian. I really like it so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-...acitor/dp/B00U0OJMYG

https://dashcamerasreviews.com...2017-edition-review/

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/V1-Dash...-3&keywords=dash+cam

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My brother had the Garmin with the dashcam.
I have 3 $20 Pilot.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have 3 $20 walmart dash cams. They work well for what they are, used the one in my car as evidence in 2 sideswipes on me and a hit and run in front of me.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I'm thinking about installing a dashcam in my car. From a little research, there's many different types. I'd like something that is easy to install, perhaps mounts to the rearview mirror or on the windshield rather than the dash itself. Not too expensive and prefer a portable unit rather than something hardwired to the car's power source. Rearview cam isn't important unless it's super easy to install without the hassle of removing too much of the interior to run the wires.
What to avoid?
Recommendations on specific cameras?

A few things to consider:

- Do you want it to record while your car is parked to catch hit and run? Some dashcams have that feature, others don't.
- Consider running a wire to your interior fuse box with an 'add a fuse' kit so power is always available to the dashcam. I paid an audio shop $50 to add a new fuse for the dashcam and hide all power wires. They knew exactly what to remove and now I always have power available to any dashcam.
- If you enable recording while parked and you don't drive the car for a few days, the dashcam will need to watch the car battery voltage and shut down before completely draining the battery. Some dashcams have this features, others don't. You can add an extra kit if needed to watch battery voltage and cut off the dashcam power when it reaches a certain level.
- Make sure you get the right type of memory card for the dashcam. Most cards aren't made to handle being constantly overwritten.

I recently installed a Viofo A119 1440P 30fps Car Dash Camera (V2 Model) for a friend, but the Street Guardian for $150 looks well worth the extra money and are very well regarded in the dashcam forums.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

- Do you want it to record while your car is parked to catch hit and run? Some dashcams have that feature, others don't.
I don't think I'd need this feature on this car as 99% of the time it is either in my garage or in a secured parking space at work.
- Consider running a wire to your interior fuse box with an 'add a fuse' kit so power is always available to the dashcam. I paid an audio shop $50 to add a new fuse for the dashcam and hide all power wires. They knew exactly what to remove and now I always have power available to any dashcam.
I'll look into it. I enjoy doing stuff like this on my own so it shouldn't be too big a job if I can purchase an add-a-fuse kit.
- If you enable recording while parked and you don't drive the car for a few days, the dashcam will need to watch the car battery voltage and shut down before completely draining the battery. Some dashcams have this features, others don't. You can add an extra kit if needed to watch battery voltage and cut off the dashcam power when it reaches a certain level.
- Make sure you get the right type of memory card for the dashcam. Most cards aren't made to handle being constantly overwritten.
I'll look into this too. What would be a proper memory card that can handle constant overwrites?

I recently installed a Viofo A119 1440P 30fps Car Dash Camera (V2 Model) for a friend, but the Street Guardian for $150 looks well worth the extra money and are very well regarded in the dashcam forums.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I absolutely have no regrets with my Garmin DriveAssist 50.

I also have a cheap $20 WalMart Pilot dash cam, and the Garmin BLOWS it away.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fme5-PzeiOk

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I went through this drill in mid-late summer. As a retiree I didn't want to spend mega-bucks for a system that would not see a great deal of use. On the other hand I wanted one with good view angle and excellent video. Settled on a Viofo G1W-S 1080P HD unit (https://www.viofo.com/car-dash-cam/38-g1w-s-car-dash-camera.html). Fitted it with a 64Gb card, set to record 3 minute increments, and took it on a maiden run through the Black Hills out to Spearfish Canyon for the autumn leaves and was very very pleased with the results. Only nit was the mirror mount (comes with several types) as it didn't fit either my '03 S2000 or '11 Sonata. But the suction cup has been great.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

I'll look into this too. What would be a proper memory card that can handle constant overwrites?

Short answer: Transcend High Endurance High Endurance Microsd Card with adapter in 32GB or 64GB

Long answer: Get a card that uses MLC NAND technology. Most cards use TLC NAND technology, but MLC cards have a 3-6X increase in durability. They often have better error correction, wear leveling and controller chips which increase performance and lifespan.

Next, get a card that's big enough. Right now that means get at least 32GB and even better get 64GB for longer card life.

Look for a card that's fast enough. Right now, that means to look for a “Class 10” OR “UHS-I U1” rated microSD card. Slower cards can cause recording problems. Make sure you use something at least fast enough according to the dashcam maker's recommendations.

Most now recommend Transcend’s High Endurance line. For 32GB cards they quote 6,000 hours of 1080P recording or 2,197 write cycles before experiencing problems. Transcend’s cards are also used by Novatek’s engineers when testing their image processors. Novatek processors are found in many popular cameras such as the G1W, A118C, Viofo A119 and the Street Guardian SG9665GC.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Looking at Garmin and HP. Anyone have experience with the HP cams? They seem more reasonably priced.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Daughter and I have the Garmin 35 in our cars. Wife has the Drive Assist 50. Installed 64GB cards in each. No complaints.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
After an incident with a psychotic motorcycle rider last month I bought a Thinkware unit, front and rear. I think you get what you pay for, especially with resolution and image quality at night.

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have an older Garmin Dash Cam 20 and it works great. I have no reason to upgrade it. I have been using it for years everyday.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have a rearview mirror mounted dashcam? Something like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/SENDOW-...sh+cam+mirror+camera

Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
I am interested in one for my son

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post