SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC questions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Pretty much the same. I've had my Goodman system for 6 years and just had the first issue. A small nail like sized hole in a piece of copper in the condenser. My AC guy came buy, quickly found the issue, soldered it (took 1 minute flat), recharged it (probably took 12-13 pounds) and back up and running. I've had roofers and a fence guy in the area of my condenser and one of them was probably the culprit.

No the Goodman is the culprit. I had a Goodman installed at a rental condo I own. Within 4 years had the same issue on the condensor, had it braised and less than 2 years later another bad weld and all freon leaked out, had it braised also.......and then less than a year later another one in a different spot.......I junked the unit after 8 years and put a different brand in and will NEVER touch a Goodman again.....or a Rheem for that matter. American Standard is my go to brand on a budget.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
quote:
Originally posted by dangho731:
Hi,

I am a licensed HVAC contractor. I have been in the business for awhile. I completely agree with others about Goodman products. They are much cheaper than the well-known brand like Trane, American Standard, Carrier...

There is no need to go with the higher SEER and high efficient furnace. Unless you want to pitch the money away then stay with Trane. They were great in the past. I don't care much for them. Most of the components on their system are proprietary and not cheap.

Find an independent contractor person for the job, you can save the money. Big truck company will charge much more for the same system.

On the other spectrum, if you want to save energy, Ductless system (mini-split) is another option (available in heatpump or ac only). It can go up to 22 SEERS, and very quiet. You can get a multi-zone system for your 3000 sqf home. Again, Daikin (parent company of Goodman) makes good systems.

Good lucks,
hdt

Hi,

So do companies that drive smaller trucks have lower prices? Also can you explain why the SEERS matter? It is so good to get the straight scoop from a real pro, especially one that is also a nuclear engineer and is willing to share his good lucks with the rest of us.

Larger companies that advertise on tv, billboard ads phone books spend a ton on advertising that has to be recouped A smaller contractor that doesnt do all the advertising doesn’t have that overhead can bid and do the same job, same equipment for less.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Pretty much the same. I've had my Goodman system for 6 years and just had the first issue. A small nail like sized hole in a piece of copper in the condenser. My AC guy came buy, quickly found the issue, soldered it (took 1 minute flat), recharged it (probably took 12-13 pounds) and back up and running. I've had roofers and a fence guy in the area of my condenser and one of them was probably the culprit.

No the Goodman is the culprit. I had a Goodman installed at a rental condo I own. Within 4 years had the same issue on the condensor, had it braised and less than 2 years later another bad weld and all freon leaked out, had it braised also.......and then less than a year later another one in a different spot.......I junked the unit after 8 years and put a different brand in and will NEVER touch a Goodman again.....or a Rheem for that matter. American Standard is my go to brand on a budget.

4 years old was under warranty why not have the coil replaced instead of patching it up. I’ve handled most brands out there and nothing wrong with Goodman 1 bad unit doesn’t condemn the whole brand. And American standard is Trane not much of a cost saving unless your buying builder grade.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee40215:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

4 years old was under warranty why not have the coil replaced instead of patching it up. I’ve handled most brands out there and nothing wrong with Goodman 1 bad unit doesn’t condemn the whole brand. And American standard is Trane not much of a cost saving unless your buying builder grade.

If I remember correctly, Goodman covered parts and not labor and also it was R22 which at the time had already started increasing in price....my a/c guy braised it relatively quick and vaccuumed it and recharged it, thinking that was the way to go at the time, rather than cutting the coils out, replacing them, braising the new ones in, new dryer etc......3rd time around I replaced it with a Maytag R410 unit around 2015 because the air handler and water heater were in the same small closet and not a lot of room for another brand that was R 410. Haven't had an issue with it. I own 4 central a/c's between units, 2 wall units and manage a house with 7 Central a/cs

posted Hide Post
Trane sucks
Low ball contractors suck
Buddies who rely on others to fix their equipment suck
Contractors who do shoddy work suck
People pricing things sight unseen suck
People pricing items for different geological areas suck
Contractors not charging enough to do the job properly suck

All leads to quality contractors getting grief because they all get grouped together with the rest of the clowns.

Finding a quality contractor can challenging, but they won't be cheap.
Ask yourself, how can buying quality products, installing said products with quality materials, providing quality service, still being in business down the road... be cheap?

One last note, all equipment SUCKS until a reliable person properly sizes, installs and sets up said equipment to operate within the manufactures specifications... completing the manufacturing process on site.
Really it's just a bunch of parts, until a qualified person designs and puts together a properly working system.

But anyway, what do I know, I'm just some clown posting on the internet.
Now where's that flux capacitor!?!?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check for PG&E rebates. They may have a minimum SEER rating to qualify for rebates.

If your a Costco member, try the Folsom store. They contract with Sierra Pacific.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Whomever you go with at least make sure the tech is NATE certified. Kind of like a dr. who is board certified. I have a Rheem installed going on 7 yrs and going strong in this Texas heat.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

All leads to quality contractors getting grief because they all get grouped together with the rest of the clowns.

Ask yourself, how can buying quality products, installing said products with quality materials, providing quality service, still being in business down the road... be cheap?

Also add in the cost of a company vehicle, proper insurance and licenses and continuing education, having thousands of $$$ in parts in inventory of items that go bad frequently, health insurance, and everything else that goes into operating a proper business.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Motto of the wise (read: both ethical and financially solvent) contractor:

I do not work for:

Friends
Relatives
Friends of relatives
Relatives of friends

Big Grin Joke or not, you decide. Wink

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know an honest AC dealer in northern VA area?

I used the past dealer to check the HP and all he did was remove the old breaker from the panel and install the new breaker I had bought. You could see that the bus bar was burnt and he should have stopped there.

The new breaker started smoking and I shut it off. He comes back and turns it back on and it continues to smoke until I turn it off again and tell him that is enough.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Does anyone know an honest AC dealer in northern VA area?

I used the past dealer to check the HP and all he did was remove the old breaker from the panel and install the new breaker I had bought. You could see that the bus bar was burnt and he should have stopped there.

The new breaker started smoking and I shut it off. He comes back and turns it back on and it continues to smoke until I turn it off again and tell him that is enough.

Email Skins, he lives in that neck of the woods and is/was an electrician, so should know someone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Trane sucks
Low ball contractors suck
Buddies who rely on others to fix their equipment suck
Contractors who do shoddy work suck
People pricing things sight unseen suck
People pricing items for different geological areas suck
Contractors not charging enough to do the job properly suck

One last note, all equipment SUCKS until a reliable person properly sizes, installs and sets up said equipment to operate within the manufactures specifications... completing the manufacturing process on site.
Really it's just a bunch of parts, until a qualified person designs and puts together a properly working system.

But anyway, what do I know, I'm just some clown posting on the internet.
Now where's that flux capacitor!?!?

+++1 ^^^^^^^

Save your money and buy a axe to chop up your furniture to stay warm when King Biden turns off the electricity.

Posts: 252 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced a Goodman last summer that was installed in 1988. 32 TX summers of running 6 hours a day with only a bad cap and no other maintenance. It was still going strong but the drain pan had rusted out. A new Goodman 14 SEER is in its place. A good install makes all the difference. I made sure I watched the leak test.

My other unit is a 4 ton American Standard R22 unit that has never been serviced since its install in 1998.

Clearly the days of A/Cs that can last 30 years is over.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Anyone know a reputable dealer for Goodman in the Northern VA area?

I had my breaker panel replaced this week and need some heat. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post