SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Effect of Wildfires in Salem, Oregon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effect of Wildfires in Salem, Oregon Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wow, they are evacuating the Coffee Creek Correctional Facility just in case. CCCF is pretty far away, and across the freeway, but I guess they are planning for the worst.

They have like 1000 inmates there or some such number.

Given the location of CCCF, I wonder if this is a mistake and they really mean the state prison south of hiway 22 east of Salem. Source - K2 news.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Looks like looting is in.
https://lbry.tv/@Wranglerstar:...rs-oregon-wildland:3

And 30 minutes ago on a local forum.
"One mile east of Cheshire, grey Prius shooting firework into the brush. Oregon plate 824 JXC....Lane county scanner."

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tankers dropping within a mile of the Medford tanker base:

https://fireaviation.com/2020/...rom-air-tanker-base/

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Multnomah County still has not issued an alert.
I'm just on the other side of Clackamas Co and not much of that area is lvl 1 anymore.
Large portion went to lv2 a bit ago.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talked to a friend who had a friend of a friend of a friend who had access inside the closure area in Glide. They drove by my house and it was intact and texted a picture to me for peace of mind. Looks like the whole neighborhood is intact. Heard reports they were working very hard on cutting line and burning out within 1/2 mile of the house.
The Red Cross shelter is down to two people. Everyone else Red Cross put up in motels or together with family. Talked to people that have a 99% chance their house is lost. Sometimes it's a little cabin, other times it's a mansion they spent 30 years building stick by stick. It's still home to them and they are ready to build a new home, maybe a smaller one though.
The Star Mtn Fire and Archie Cr Fire burned together and last report totaled 107,000 acres. I remember when a 1000 acre fire was historic, now it's just a bump in the course of things.

Posts: 590 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good news! We've got people intentionally setting fires now!

There are way too many fires occurring for it to be anything other than many being set intentionally. If it were up to me, anybody caught setting them should be dropped off right in the middle of one and left to burn. You guys out there stay safe.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
quote:
Good news! We've got people intentionally setting fires now!

There are way too many fires occurring for it to be anything other than many being set intentionally. If it were up to me, anybody caught setting them should be dropped off right in the middle of one and left to burn. You guys out there stay safe.

Arson is one of the things you can get shot for in this state. Might be a hard sell for the douche canoe on the freeway onramp, but some of those shitheals starting fires in neighborhoods, reckon it wouldn't be too hard for a jury to look the other way, assuming it ever got that far.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
There is video on the Elk Creek island fire.
Guy in black with a gas can and torch.
https://www.facebook.com/story...tid=gIq8oddkMZfFy0Tc

Many reports around Estacada and Mollala of out of state cars setting fires. One with Texas plates a couple of times.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My parent's place in Oregon City was upped to level 2 yesterday afternoon and they evacuated last night to my sister's place in Portland. I saw later on the local news that traffic was at a crawl, people trying to get out of that area.

I heard on the radio this morning that the Douglas County (Roseburg) sheriff has arrested 6 Antifa members for intentionally setting fires.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

I heard on the radio this morning that the Douglas County (Roseburg) sheriff has arrested 6 Antifa members for intentionally setting fires.

That's actually a false claim that the Douglas County sheriff is refuting. In fact, the Douglas County Sheriff has put out a statement refuting the rumors of antifa lighting fires, as did the Medford Police regarding false rumors of "Proud Boys" arrested for the same. The 911 lines have been inundated with panic calls about these false rumors, which the local law enforcement is attempting to quash, as it's impacting emergency lines and tying up dispatchers when they have a LOT of actual emergencies to attend.

https://www.nrtoday.com/news/e...c6-9c251110cf8e.html

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Darn Governor is on TV currently 1:05pm PDT

1 million acres burned so far. The level of integrated fires, size etc... have never been seen before in Oregon, per Doug Grafe US Oregon Dept of Forestry.

Report of 2 guys looting in the Stanton area, both are in Jail.

A few towns have been hit very hard, Talent, Phoenix, Vida, and areas to the east of Vida.

I know of at least 2 people who have died a grandmother and her 10 y/o grandson. There several more suspected to have died.

Good to see Erickson aviation is working on the fires.

I hope that Columbia helicopters are on the job as well, they fly CH-47s. Unfortunately, they are now owned by an investment firm and are considered "too big of a company" to bid on some of the forest service fire jobs. I interviewed their Q1 of this year and that is what they told me. Some government specifications to allocate contracts/money to small businesses.

I live just west of Portland. Tuesday night/and Wednesday we had very strong winds, lots of trees, and branches down, but the air was clear.

Yesterday and Today the smoke came back in. Keeping the doors closed and have some filters on box fans to keep the inside error fairly clear. Without them, it would smell of smoke in the house.

Visibility out my windows is about 200 yards before it gets smokey, 1/4 mile definitely smokey, 1 mile and tail lights are glowing dots. Could see a small orange sun on Wednesday, couldn't see it yesterday or today.

The smoke has been blown out to the coast and out over the ocean the last several days. The wind is now shifting and it will be blown back over Oregon, Washington northern Cali for the next 5 days at least. So we get it twice.

Might see a little bit of rain on Tuesday. At this point, any rain would be nice if nothing else but to help capture the smoke and clear the air.

Usually, Oregon is a good place to be, no hurricanes, no tornados, however, we are at risk of forest fires and earthquakes. This year is one of the worst fire seasons every, 2018 was bad as well. I'd post additional photos but they just look like the ones already posted.

------
Correction Doug Grafe is with Oregon Dept of Forestry, not US Dept Dept of Forestry.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

That's actually a false claim that the Douglas County sheriff is refuting. In fact, the Douglas County Sheriff has put out a statement refuting the rumors of antifa lighting fires, as did the Medford Police regarding false rumors of "Proud Boys" arrested for the same. The 911 lines have been inundated with panic calls about these false rumors, which the local law enforcement is attempting to quash, as it's impacting emergency lines and tying up dispatchers when they have a LOT of actual emergencies to attend.

https://www.nrtoday.com/news/e...c6-9c251110cf8e.html

Yeah, I just saw that somewhere else. Apologies for not vetting it properly first...

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
More FAKE news fro the idiots who write this stuff

seriously, get a clue. They need to learn what level I, II, III is before publishing this crap.

More than 500,000 people in Oregon have been forced to evacuate because of wildfires – over 10% of the state's population – as the blazes continued to race through more than a dozen Western states Friday.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

seriously, get a clue. They need to learn what level I, II, III is before publishing this crap.

More than 500,000 people in Oregon have been forced to evacuate because of wildfires – over 10% of the state's population – as the blazes continued to race through more than a dozen Western states Friday.

You need to read it first. It doesn't say what you think you quoted. The article you linked doesn't say that over 500,000 have been forced to evacuate. It says that over 500,000 are under evacuation orders. Regardless of whether it's ready, set, go; over a tenth of the states population is affected by the evacuation system at one level or another, and that number will increase.

In fact, if you read the article that you linked, it states that 40,000 people have been evacuated.

posted Hide Post
sns3guppy,

Thanks for your expertise in this shit storm. My best friend from high school lives in Canyonville OR. I like reading your posts on these fucking fires and how they are fought. Thanks for the info.

Later,
Bytes

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

You need to read it first. It doesn't say what you think you quoted. The article you linked doesn't say that over 500,000 have been forced to evacuate. It says that over 500,000 are under evacuation orders. Regardless of whether it's ready, set, go; over a tenth of the states population is affected by the evacuation system at one level or another, and that number will increase.

In fact, if you read the article that you linked, it states that 40,000 people have been evacuated.

Oh Bull, it said exactly what I said it did. They changed the article from what it originally said a few hours ago. What I pasted in italics above was taken directly from the original article.
Here it is again, as it was originally posted.

quote:
More than 500,000 people in Oregon have been forced to evacuate because of wildfires

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
sns3guppy,

Thanks for your expertise in this shit storm. My best friend from high school lives in Canyonville OR. I like reading your posts on these fucking fires and how they are fought. Thanks for the info.

Later,
Bytes

God be with your friend. A lot of people are going to need it. Being a victim to fire is a lot like being robbed, on a grand scale. In a robbery, there's a sense of violation, loss, and lack of justice. In a fire, there's no closure, no way to reconcile. It's worse than robbery, because nobody took the things; they literally vaporized. Home, the place where one lay one's head at night. The familiar is gone, and in it's place, nightmares. There's fear that goes on for years that it's coming back.

Long ago I was a victim of two structure fires. In the first case, I was asleep, alone, when the fire began, and when I came down the stairs into the smoke, there was a red glow through the smoke, and a sense that I was in my nightmare. Fire was a kid fear, from as early as I can remember, and then I woke up to it. It happened again, later. It may have been why I went on to fight fire.

It's beautiful, seductive, and it smells like money. It's rife with tragedy, risk, horror.

I've been on several fires where men died, and like things taken from you in the night, it's hard to reconcile. It's not the dead, but how they died, something they no longer feel, but sometimes, I feel it every night and wake up, unable to sleep again.

IT's okay to enjoy an emergency, as long as you didn't create it, but every one comes with baggage, and my heart goes to those who are finding it out, and whose lives will be forever changed.

Like the victims of a hurricane or an earthquake, there will be a lot of people in need; they'll need everything. They'll have lost everything. Anyone who can think of anything to do for them, whether it's to send money or a bottle of water or visit or donate time: karma is a big, beautiful bitch, and I'd urge whomever feels the call, to court her. Give what you can; it comes back in spades, and when the fire dies and the headlines drift off to something else, there's no greater reward or gift you can give to yourself, than to have given to others, in whatever way suits you best. If you hear the call, answer. The need is real, and no effort, no dime, is wasted.

quote:
What I pasted in italics above was taken directly from the original article.
Here it is again, as it was originally posted.

quote:
More than 500,000 people in Oregon have been forced to evacuate because of wildfires

Yeah, okay. Here's what it actually says:

https://www.usatoday.com/story...a-deaths/3467271001/

quote:
More than 500,000 people in Oregon – over 10% of the state's population – are under evacuation orders as wildfires continued to race through more than a dozen Western states Friday.

and

quote:
Dozens of people are missing, 40,000 people have been evacuated, and more than 1,500 square miles have burned in Oregon, Gov. Kate Brown said Friday afternoon.

posted Hide Post
And here's another article verifying radioman's information on the wild claims by the media -

Approximately 500,000 evacuate wildfires in Oregon as death toll climbs
September 11, 2020 7:05 am
By WILLIAM MANSELL, ABC News

(NEW YORK) — An estimated 500,000 people in Oregon have evacuated as a result of the wildfires burning hundreds of thousands of acres across the state, according to the Oregon Office of Emergency Management.

Amid the devastating blazes, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown issued an executive order to combat businesses that are trying to take advantage of those in need by price gouging. This is in response, she said, to reports that some essential consumer goods and services, especially lodging, are seeing increasing prices.

“During a statewide emergency, it is absolutely unacceptable to price gouge Oregonians who have already been hard hit and are facing devastating loss,” Brown said in a statement Thursday.

“As wildfires force thousands of Oregonians to abandon their homes, local businesses have stepped up to ensure that families can find essential goods and services at fair prices,” Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum said in a statement Thursday.

As of Friday morning, there are 38 active fires burning more than 805,000 acres. The largest is the Beachie Creek Fire, which is more than 185,000 acres and is 0% contained. This deadly blaze has resulted in at least two deaths.

The Holiday Farm Fire has burned more than 144,000 acres and is also 0% contained. The Lionshead Fire, which is more than 125,000 acres and has resulted in at least four injuries, is 5% contained.

The Riverside Fire is 120,000 acres and is 0% contained, while the Archie Creek Fires is burning more than 107,000 acres and is 1% contained, according to OEM.

“Thousands of evacuated Oregonians are sleeping in motels, on cots in shelters, or with friends/family,” Brown tweeted. “Please know that we are doing everything in our power to fight these fires.”

While state and local emergency responders continue their work to battle the wildfires, they will now be getting some additional federal help.

A day after a delegation of Oregon lawmakers sent a letter to President Donald Trump asking for disaster assistance, the president approved Oregon’s Emergency Declaration.

“The President’s action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures … to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe,” a statement from the White House said.

The death toll from the West Coast wildfires has climbed to at least 17, but that number is expected to rise as many people remain unaccounted for, according to local officials.

In California, the fires are continuing to wreak havoc.

The North Complex Fire, formerly known as the Bear Fire, has burned more than 244,000 acres, is 23% contained and has resulted in at least 10 deaths. This deadly blazed has also destroyed at least 2,000 structures.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency Thursday for Siskiyou County, where the Slater Fire is 127,000 acres and is 0% contained.

Cal Fire said Thursday evening that 2.6 million acres have burned across the state currently. Six of the top 20 largest wildfires in California history have occurred this year.

The August Complex Fire is 746,607 acres and is 25% contained.

The El Dorado Fire near San Bernardino is more than 13,000 acres and is 31% contained.

And in the state of Washington, the Cold Springs Fire in Okanogan County is more than 187,000 acres and is 25% contained.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
https://www.ktlo.com/2020/09/1...s-death-toll-climbs/

That was what was posted at 0705. Then at 1401, the article was changed to read, 500,000 people have fled...

"An estimated 500,000 Oregon residents have fled because of the wildfires that have burned hundreds of thousands of acres, according to the Oregon Office of Emergency Management."
https://abcnews.go.com/US/5000...bs/story?id=72944928

And that's what the articles actually say.

Then there's this tweet from a link on the Oregon Office of Emergency Management Twitter account:

Nick Knudsen
@DemWrite
BREAKING: over 500,000 Oregonians have been forced to evacuate due to #OregonFires2020.

That’s 12% of the entire population. #OregonIsBurning

https://twitter.com/hashtag/or...20?src=hashtag_click

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marksman41,

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fire works have been used against law enforcement for weeks now in Oregon, and Washington. This is a confirmed case of starting a wildfire with fireworks.

Multnomah Co. Deputies find firework near brush fire in Corbett

https://katu.com/news/local/mu...rush-fire-in-corbett

CORBETT, Ore. — Multnomah County Deputies and Corbett Fire found a firework near a brush fire on Friday.

Crews were called to the 1700 block of NE Brower Rd in Corbett at 3:52pm, according to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said neighbors heard pops and saw 6' flames in the forest.

Using a shovel and water, deputies were able to put the fire out.

Deputies said they found fireworks about 100-150 yards off the road.

If you have any information on this, call the non-emergency line.

Another incident of arson here:

Man accused of setting fires near Oregon homes during the Almeda Fire

https://katu.com/news/local/ma...ring-the-almeda-fire

CENTRAL POINT, Ore. - A man faces accusations he set a fire during the Almeda Fire that roared through Phoenix and Talent this week.

"This case is separate from the Almeda Fire investigation but the investigations have been a joint effort by the Major Assault Death Investigation Unit," the Jackson County Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The investigation started September 8 with a report to 911 that residents witnessed the man "lighting a fire behind their house on Quail Lane," the sheriff's office said. "Due to the impending fire, the witnesses had to flee their home and could not be interviewed immediately."

When deputies and state troopers arrived, they found Michael Jarrod Bakkela, 41, standing "close to a very large fire threatening several homes," the sheriff's office said.

Bakkela - described by the sheriff as a "local transient" - faces two counts of Arson I; 15 counts of Criminal Mischief I; and 14 counts of Reckless Endangering, the sheriff's office said.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post