SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Effect of Wildfires in Salem, Oregon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effect of Wildfires in Salem, Oregon Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:PLENTY of first hand accounts from people catching these asshole terrorists in the act.

Meth-heads? Plenty of drug addled loosers in the woods getting caught creating distractions and destruction right now.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
We live directly west of the Beachie Fire affecting Santiam Canyon and towns west. Dau has had to evacuate her care facility to Salem. We are housing 8 -10 friends from up the canyon depending on the night. All their homes are safe at the moment. One family has lost a shop and garage but the house still stands. In their neighborhood at Gates 4 homes of 28 remain.

A friend up the North Fork has lost his home and I haven't had comms with him since Monday before the storm.

This past weekend we patrolled a Level 3 residential area directly south of Lyons with the implied consent of multiple LE agencies working the area. We maintained an improvised roadblock until LE moved a checkpoint to control access to the area. Amusingly, while patrolling we "stopped" an unknown vehicle, actually he stopped and we pulled alongside an unmarked Linn County Sheriff who yelled "I'm not looting, I'm not looting." Smile

It has been disturbing to watch action on the ground regarding the firefighting. Few crews were observed working fires we could see. A tender crew was observed working a portion of Rock Creek Road near Gates, the crew was spooling up their hoses in front of an active burn, when they were asked where they were going the crew responded they would return in the morning. The residents went in to resume fighting the fire.

The Governor pulled state resources from the Beachie burn when fire contacted Federal land and turned Incident Command over to NWIC 13, an interagency group. All agencies were aware of a likely weather event predicting strong unusual easterly winds in a few days. At the time of transfer the Beachie Fire was approximately 50 acres. Over the next 4 days the fire grew to 450 acres. Then the winds hit. Over the next two days the Beachie Fire grew to over 132,000 acres. Infuckingsane.

Loggers cannot go in to fight the fires unless the state maintains IC. Loggers can only participate in the "Fire Plan" if they have submitted a contract application and are certified as Wildland Firefighters via a two day course. That's the easy part. The problem for the small logger is payment for services rendered is 3 months away from service. Not a lot of operations can sustain the void so they opt to not certify. The money is great because there is no schedule for equipment or manpower; if I want to charge $500/hour for a shovel and operator the state will pay it. Fighting fire without participating in the "Fire Plan" with a contract and being certified as a Wildland Fire Fighter is chargeable as a felony.

City Fire agencies can't support state or federal fire plan unless they are subscribed by IC. It's a shitshow.

Governor Kate Brown came to Lyons tonight and she was met with a sizeable derisive crowd urging her immediate departure.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I drove from Portland to Pendelton today.

The smoke was heavy in PDX this morning visibility down to 100-200 yards in my neighborhood.

The smoke was thick as a heavy fog all the way. Visibility was about 1/4 mile at best. Beyound that distance there was shapes and shadows, For instance, across the columbia river you could just make out the tree line.

Smell of smoke is pretty light today even with the it being thicker.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I saw this guy today about a half mile from my house in Eugene, Oregon. I followed him down to a wooded area and called the police. they arrested him not for having two gallon gas cans but on an outstanding warrant. The police said there is a huge camp back in the woods on county property. going to call the county and try and put some pressure on them to clean the mess up.

He claimed the gas was for a generator not to sure how they purchased one of those Roll Eyes

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I saw this guy today about a half mile from my house in Eugene, Oregon. I followed him down to a wooded area and called the police. they arrested him not for having two gallon gas cans but on an outstanding warrant. The police said there is a huge camp back in the woods on county property. going to call the county and try and put some pressure on them to clean the mess up.

He claimed the gas was for a generator not to sure how they purchased one of those Roll Eyes

He might not have 'acquired' his new generator yet.......

I guess you've all seen this already?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...nt-cops-arrived.html

If so, I'll pull it, but it cheers me up no end to see how ladies outside of Portland deal with possible arsonists. 'If my husband had caught you, you'd be dead!'

I LIKE that.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
^^ you failed to mention that the "guy walking around" was ON HER PROPERTY.

that's a very important detail.

I left that out on purpose. I honestly couldn't tell if it was put in there to sensationalize the story or not. From the video it looked like a public road to me, so I figured the members that read the story could decide for themselves.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She clearly said he was on her property and walked him out to the public road to wait for police. She handled that very well!

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post