SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Effect of Wildfires in Salem, Oregon
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Effect of Wildfires in Salem, Oregon Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
can't find HEPA air filters locally. Amazon still seems to have some since poor air is a regional issue.

but locally -- out of luck

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10925 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My co workers mom and dad lost their home near Salem.

I feel sick for them, although their friends have really stepped up to support them including giving them a house until they can rebuild.

Arson should be treated the same as stealing a horse in the old days. You get shot in the fucking face or hung from a tree.

Lighting fires on purpose is like premeditated murder in my opinion.

Assholes. Maybe its the fog of smoke covering my area right now that's got me riled up Mad

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It’s like living in a daguerreotype today. No sun, sky is sepia tone, everything past 50 yards is hazy and visibility is a couple hundred yards at most. Awesome.

I hope these assholes setting brush fires get strung up by their dangly bits.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
My co workers mom and dad lost their home near Salem.

I feel sick for them, although their friends have really stepped up to support them including giving them a house until they can rebuild.

Arson should be treated the same as stealing a horse in the old days. You get shot in the fucking face or hung from a tree.

Lighting fires on purpose is like premeditated murder in my opinion.

Assholes. Maybe its the fog of smoke covering my area right now that's got me riled up Mad

It's a property crime, among other things, but if a fire leads to someone's death, then manslaughter or higher may be attached. It's been done.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Nothing needs to be said. This picture says it all.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It was very thick this morning on the way to work.
I could barely make out the streetlight while right under it.
Drove pretty much blind all the way in, seemed to clear up a bit closer to the river.

The shop was full of smoke when I got in, opening doors to get rigs in made it worse.
I wound up wearing a respirator, that seemed to help but my eyes are pretty irritated.

The crew is real light this week with all this too.
Either they got pulled out for the National Guard or are sitting in a lot somewhere with all the stuff they could pack up.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Lighting a fire anywhere in the USA, that's a crime of some generalized criteria.

Lighting a fire on the West Coast of the United States in September of 2020 is a totally different ballgame. This shit needs to be stomped out, and I don't mean fire.

Seems like terrorism from where I'm sitting. Domestic, terrorism. Seditious traitors.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Damn-it.

quote:
STATEMENT re: inappropriate comments made by Patrol deputy - 09/12/20

On the evening of Friday, Sept. 11, 2020, the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office was made aware of inappropriate statements made by one of our Patrol deputies while he was on-duty and in uniform.

Clackamas County is currently in a state of emergency due to several wildfires in our county. It appears the deputy was aware he made these comments while on video. At the time of the comments, the deputy was tasked with ensuring that residents knew of the wildfire hazards while he was patrolling the area.

This deputy has been placed on administrative leave while our Professional Standards Unit investigates this potential violation of policy.

STATEMENT FROM SHERIFF ROBERTS: "As soon as I was made aware of this incident, I moved swiftly to place this deputy on leave while we investigate. The Sheriff's Office mission is to provide calm and safety especially during unprecedented times such as these. I expect nothing less of our deputies, and apologize to all in our community."

Link: https://flashalert.net/id/CCSO/137941

this is supposed to be the video which got the guy in trouble, but unconfirmed from any official source.....

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/1ZHY4RE_GLA

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10925 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Heard nothing wrong in that video. I have firsthand experience with Sheriffs in Oregon. Main Problem with them is they are way too nice and will talk your ear off. Downright pleasant they are.

Some of the best people I've come across are in Oregon. A hearty people, they make me jealous because they are down-home, country, strong stature, industrious type of people who love strong coffee. Giants half of em. Best representation of what I think this country is that I've come across, tons of vets and military too. And they are on the front lines of this domestic terrorism. And if they were allowed to take the gloves off, they'd take out the trash.

The leadership is Oregon is a joke. And further than that, it's traitors drilling holes in the boat. Unless the gloves come off, these people are forced, by unconstitutional edicts to sit back and just wait for the leaks to spring up. (Good news being they seal leaks better than anyone out there.) Worse, they do something about a guy drilling a hole in the boat and they are threatened with prosecution and probably convicted.

Drilling a hole in the boat used to mean you get lifelong consequences. Now, they are cut loose 24 hours after being caught to go do more. It's as though they want it to happen. Which I have to conclude, they do.

What's this got to do with black people? Nothing. Leaves one to ponder what in the hell am I waking up to everyday here.

Posts: 6968 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
apparently there is a second video. Different encounter. Deputy talking to people who are guarding against looters. Which, to be honest, if these people were not there, then more looting would occur. just sayin.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_Vdxl_7xhAI

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

posted Hide Post
'If' a suspect can identified and arrested for setting fires, the Federal US Attorney's Office in that district would be the way to go. Federal charges and conviction for Arson or even for Possession of Destructive Devices are substantial and I think carry a minimum sentence that's going to make most soy boy's or girls, think twice once they know the feds are actually pressing charges vs the cities of Portland and Seattle which seem to care less.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WTF?
Was this guy slow to put resources into place? Medical issue? Clash of egos?

Oregon Fire Marshal put on leave, resigns; deputy marshal appointed
quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) — Oregon Fire Marshal Jim Walker was placed on paid administrative leave Saturday. Then just hours later, he resigned, according to the Oregon State Police.

OSP did not immediately provide a reason for Walker’s departure.

Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Mariana Ruiz-Temple has been appointed to be the acting state fire marshal. Upon Walker’s resignation, Ruiz-Temple was officially made Fire Marshal of Oregon.

“Mariana is assuming this position as Oregon is in an unprecedented crisis which demands an urgent response,” said OSP Superintendent Travis Hampton in a release Saturday. “This response and the circumstances necessitated a leadership change. I have the absolute confidence in Mariana to lead OSFM operations through this critical time. She it tested, trusted and respected – having the rare combination of technical aptitude in field operations and administration.”

While visiting evacuees in Salem, Governor Kate Brown said, “Mariana has been the Deputy Fire Marshal and been in charge for the last several days. I have full and complete confidence in her ability to lead the Fire Marshals Office and lead the proactive response to this fire. She has been extremely transparent, she acts with courage and honestly with grace. She’ll do a terrific job in her new role as State Fire Marshal.”

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I was listening to Lars Larson yesterday on the way home and he was talking to people that stated that the Riverside fire was contained at 10 yards and could have been put out but they were ordered to stand down and let it sit.
For the purpose of more Federal money.
Then as predicted the wind took of and it blew up.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I thought the smoke from 2017 was bad.
I can barely make out the house across the street. The AQI is beyond limit.
Wednesday it was hot as hell, now I'm running around with a jacket on.
Definitely not healthy to be outside right now.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
^^^ and few places to go to get away from it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
If these fires are being set for Federal money,,,,,, Mad

I can still look directly at the sun and not hurt my eyes, yet my first thought was oh it cleared up a bit today. My car is covered in ash. How many lives ruined and are gone. Someone has to pay for this.

Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
It was 47 degrees, AQI of 578, and zero visibility here this morning.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
I was listening to Lars Larson yesterday on the way home and he was talking to people that stated that the Riverside fire was contained at 10 yards and could have been put out but they were ordered to stand down and let it sit.
For the purpose of more Federal money.
Then as predicted the wind took of and it blew up.

I've worked a lot of state and federal fires over the decades.

I've never heard of anything like that.

I call bullshit.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry sns, your judgement is clouded. This has been going on for a couple of decades. To say it is not is totally disingenuous to say the least. To say it is bullshit is just plain dumb. I am not going to argue with you but I have seen it myself time and time again. It is so obvious it is silly to say it is not the case.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
8 Arsonists at least already arrested on the West Coast. Humans setting these fires, not "heat."