SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman's allergic reaction to penicillin leaves her with horrific burns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman's allergic reaction to penicillin leaves her with horrific burns Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I grew up getting pumped full of this shit and didn't have a reaction to it until I was put in the hospital in boot camp with acute bronchitis. I got three shots a day for three days before I actually saw a doctor and he flipped out when he saw what it was doing to me. Told me to NEVER let anyone give me another shot of it.

I had a shipmate that took his young son to the emergency room at the base hospital in Virginia. They gave him a penicillin shot and sent him on his way. He hadn't gotten too far and noticed the boy having some problems and headed back to the hospital. His son didn't make it.

The purpose of posting this is just a little heads up. Even if you have a minor reaction to penicillin tell your doctor, the reaction can be much worse the next time.

Graphic pictures at link.

A 29-year-old woman in France said she has learned to accept her body and embrace her new looks after an allergic reaction to medication left her with burns on 90 percent of her skin. Camille Lagier, who underwent a tonsillectomy in September of 2017, said her symptoms began after she was prescribed penicillin during her recovery, MDW Features reported.

“The first symptoms were itchy eyes and some spots on my back which got worse by the hour,” Lagier told the news outlet.

She said she had taken penicillin before and hadn’t had any issues, but this time, within five days she landed in the intensive care unit at Marseille Hospital, where she was diagnosed with toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN), a life-threatening skin disorder that causes blistering and peeling of the skin.

According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, the condition causes the patient’s skin to peel in sheets, leaving large raw areas of the body exposed, which allows skin fluids and salts to ooze from the damaged areas. Patients are susceptible to infection, with treatment typically requiring hospitalization in a burn unit. It’s typically caused by a reaction to a prescribed antibiotic or anticonvulsive medication.

“I was covered in bandages because 90 percent of my skin was covered in second-degree burns and my eyes were delicately cared for because patients can go blind after TEN,” Lagier told MDW Features.

She said the reaction affected her mouth, tongue, genitals and trachea, and that she was unable to speak for days.

“I spent eight days with bandages all over my body and all over my face. I was awake, and every minute was torture,” she said. “After eight days, they took the bandages off my face and two days later took them off my hands.”

Lagier said she spent three weeks in the hospital before she was released, and that she felt anxious and regretted ever fretting about her looks.

“Now I love myself and my body with all its imperfections and scars,” she told the news outlet. “Every day I have the chance to see a sunset or to drink a cup of tea. Happiness isn’t the smile I wear when I’m around others, it’s the smile I wear when I’m alone, in front of my own reflection."

Lagier said she still has scarring from the ordeal, but that the scars serve as a reminder of survival. She has started a blog to help inspire others.

https://www.foxnews.com/health...action-to-medication

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No bueno

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
My best friend damn near died when he was given some when we were kids.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My son is allergic to penicillin. When he was young I always verified all meds before I would let them give him anything.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I truly wish her the best in life. That is a horrible ordeal.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All antibiotics have some huge problems if you are one of the unlucky few. I have seen more than a few cases of Stevens Johnson syndrome over the years. It leaves quite an impression.

The new class of diabetes drugs have been linked to very rare cases of necrotizing fasciitis of the genitalia. I cannot imagine a worse malady.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 16 and forget what was wrong with me, the Dr. gave me penicillin pills. After 2 of them I was in bed gasping for air. My mom stopped giving them to me and called the Dr. Nurse scolded mom and told her NEVER take someone off meds without the Dr. ordering it. Needless to say, I made it, but never taken that again.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had a reaction to it when I was 19 after a local doc had given it to me for some ailment I had while in the CG...swelling began w/i and hour, got a rash all over and itched like nobody's business....

went back to the doc (civilian doc-thank goodness) w/i and hour and he pumped me full of something and told me to never get penicillin again.

EVER.

weird how that happens. I probably had two or three times a year while growing up and never had an issue...then BOOM

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’m allergic to it. It caused a rash when I was a baby, so I have no idea what it would do to me now.

I prefer to not find out.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Just like a lot of things. Some are allergic. No problems for me with penicillin.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Also allergic; parents found out when I was too small to remember. Not this severe but who knows now? Thankfully, there are plenty of alternatives.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
This doesn’t seem like so much an allergy in the conventional sense but more like Steven-Johnson’s Syndrome (SJS.) I’ve seen similar presentations with patients with SJS and with Graft vs Host disease after bone marrow transplant. Most people allergic to PCN have mild reactions and most who have it on their allergy list aren’t allergic at all...”my parents stated I had a rash with it as a baby.” Babies get rashes for all types of reasons. Sometimes these incorrect allergies really hamper us when trying to treat specific ailments. This is especially true when a patient has multiple allergies to antibiotics. Sometimes it ends up being a game of detective to figure out what will work for them.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Also allergic; parents found out when I was too small to remember. Not this severe but who knows now? Thankfully, there are plenty of alternatives.

Not in all cases....some conditions only have a couple of options for treatment and if you are allergic to them then that’s a problem. Syphilis is one that comes to mind.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I’m allergic to it. It caused a rash when I was a baby, so I have no idea what it would do to me now.

I prefer to not find out.

Same here, except I was about 8-9 years old and got the severe rash. I was told at the time that it could be a worse reaction in the future, so all of my medical charts since then include "allergic to penicillin".

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been allergic to penicillin since I was a kid. Developed an allergy for shellfish in my 30’s. Strange how the body works...
Thanks for the post. Great reminder to be careful. That lady had an awful reaction...

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I truly wish her the best in life. That is a horrible ordeal.
This. That is indeed horrible.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
My wife was in the ER for an infection at an operation site. She was never allergic to Penicillin so Dr gave her penicillin with in 5 minutes she began getting a rash. I called the nurse into room they quickly gave her a shot of epinephrine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I’m allergic to it. It caused a rash when I was a baby, so I have no idea what it would do to me now. I prefer to not find out.

'zackly the same with me.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Last year I had an reaction to an undetermined antibiotic (part of a cocktail). I spent three weeks in a burn unit,then two months in a rehab hospital. 100% of my skin was effected. I am lucky I did not end up looking like Deadpool. This happened two and a half years after the Swine Flu nearly killed me, but that is another story.

Posts: 609 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I have never had any side effect symptoms from any drugs I have ever taken and there has been quite a few.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post