SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm going to Iceland! - I'm back, Pics on Pg 2.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to Iceland! - I'm back, Pics on Pg 2. Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed yourself. It is definitely the most expensive place I have been. Made France, Germany and the U.K. down right cheap in comparison.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics.

Were the prices inflated for VAT which you could have gotten a refund on your way out? That happened to me in a couple of places like Spain where it was worth it to do the paperwork to get the VAT refund.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
great photos - sounds like the trip of a lifetime

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Beautiful pics.

Were the prices inflated for VAT which you could have gotten a refund on your way out? That happened to me in a couple of places like Spain where it was worth it to do the paperwork to get the VAT refund.

VAT refund is typically for items intended for export. You usually can't get a refund for things that are consumed or used in-country, so you can't claim your restaurant bill or grocery tab.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Editing 1 or 2 pictures a day? At that rate it would take me years to process the pics I take on a trip! Admittedly, not all my photos are top quality art masterpieces, but heck! I take a lot of them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very neat pix. Absolutely beautiful. I love the ice and snow.
Admittedly I know very little about the country. But my impression of it is very remote with minimal population and points of interest are few and far between. Is that true or way off base?

Is the cost because of the cost to get goods there. Or is it due to other factors such as tax?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Very neat pix. Absolutely beautiful. I love the ice and snow.
Admittedly I know very little about the country. But my impression of it is very remote with minimal population and points of interest are few and far between. Is that true or way off base?

Is the cost because of the cost to get goods there. Or is it due to other factors such as tax?

Yes, outside of Reykjavik most places feel very remote. Even Reykjavik itself is very quaint.

The whole landscape itself is a point of interest though. Everywhere you turn, there's a waterfall coming off a cliff with a mountain or an ocean in the background.

With regards to how expensive everything is, I have no idea why everything is so expensive. The food we eat here comes from all over the world in shipping containers no problem, no reason why it should be so expensive in Iceland. My guess is that it is a combination of high taxes, poor exchange rate, unbalanced high demand caused by an influx of tourists, and a cultural proclivity against excess. I think they simply don't mind paying high food and fuel prices, just like we don't blink an eye spending money for energy or healthcare.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Great pics.

We are leaving for Iceland in a month for a 10 day trip. Going to circumnavigate the country. Lots of driving, but lots of things to see!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
interestingly enough, the March issue of AOPA Pilot has a feature article on Iceland...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, we spent a hour on the island last year and I was pissed I didn’t stay for a day or two layover.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Great pics, great trip!

We went to Iceland a few years ago in October. Weather never cooperated enough for us to see the Northern Lights, so that's still on my bucket list. I haven't been to Alaska yet either, so maybe then....

Glacier Lagoon was probably one of our high points. We also snorkeled in the Silfra Rift. I have a great story (in retrospect) about losing my camera (Canon 5D Mark III). I left it on the plane, and it went to Stockholm and managed to find its way back to me the next day. People were great. And even saw the Chuck Norris Grill in Reykjavik!

Yes, it was a bit expensive, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Iceland would definitely be worth a return trip, unlike Egypt, where we went last November. Glad we went, but no desire to return there.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
In case nobody mentioned it, the wind blows in Iceland. I mean it really blows nonstop. Even more fun when it’s raining....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post