SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm going to Iceland! - I'm back, Pics on Pg 2.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to Iceland! - I'm back, Pics on Pg 2. Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Got a new camera and lens (XT-2 and a 10-24mm F4 rectilinear), a new phone (Pixel 2), and a drone (DJI Mavic) within the past few months, so much of this trip is going to be chasing pictures and video. Considering upgrading my action camera to the latest 4k/60 too.

Freeze dried backpacking food to use with my jetboil is on the packing list, but an alcohol stove might be more convenient--really trying to avoid eating gas station hot dogs and the like while working further from the city. Can you pack rubbing alcohol on your carry on, or is it prohibited as a flammable liquid?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Freeze dried backpacking food to use with my jetboil is on the packing list, but an alcohol stove might be more convenient--really trying to avoid eating gas station hot dogs and the like while working further from the city. Can you pack rubbing alcohol on your carry on, or is it prohibited as a flammable liquid?

You have to eat one gas station hotdog it's an experience.

If you take your Jetboil your need to get gas once you get there. I know there two outdoor retailers in town. One huge one and a smaller one. We saw both when we spent a day in the downtown area. Both sell fuel canisters. Expect gear to be expensive to besides fuel I would bring everything you need.

I don't think alcohol is allowed onboard. FWIW Somehow though when I opened my bag there was a small container with a few oz's.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I read that the isobutane fuel canisters can be found at gas stations. All the little camper vans people rent use those canisters for their stoves.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget to stop at the penis museum

http://phallus.is/en/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Thanks. We are going to Iceland as well this winter and now my wife says we have a new place to go visit Roll Eyes

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
We had a beautiful time there in November of 2013 or so. We stayed in the Capitol as well as a few days on the north side in Akarayay (wrong spelling Im certain). Highlight of trip was enjoying the Northern Lights for about 3 hrs. Hot springs, waterfalls, and beautiful countryside. Food is awesome as noted, but expensive. Sushi was best Ive ever had, if thats your thing. Really good beer, and super nice people. If I can get back in the summer I will certainly try. Enjoy the trip, it will be awesome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apf383,

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
For the ones that have been to Iceland, what was your experience with tipping? We’ve read it’s both okay and that the locals dont like it either.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Ive been told the sights are amazing, im addition to the most beautiful women in the world!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
im addition to the most beautiful women in the world!

Having lived in Novosibirsk, Russia, I do believe I would need to judge this for myself (well and my wife).

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend The Blue Lagoon. The drive through the Golden Circle will be stunning. My wife and I went in September and cant wait to go back.

I would rather regret the things that I have done than regret the things I have not done.

Posts: 503 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: October 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike4011:
I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend The Blue Lagoon. The drive through the Golden Circle will be stunning. My wife and I went in September and cant wait to go back.

Yup, definitly. We did that on the way back to the Airport for the trip home. That water was perfect.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7503 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mo9OB_hQT0

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Was stationed there for a year 1978-79 (Marine Barracks), loved every minute. Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Need a guide?

Highly recommend Hans ... Hans. .. uh, can t remember his last name but he has a goose, "Gertrude."

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Don’t forget to stop at the penis museum

http://phallus.is/en/

You know you're a dick for posting this. Big Grin

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:... We stayed in the Capitol as well as a few days on the north side in Akarayay (wrong spelling Im certain). ... Enjoy the trip, it will be awesome.

Akureyri.

Yes, it is beautiful, rugged and has so many awesome things to see and experience.

I was fortunate to spend almost 3 years at Keflavik 70-73.

If you like horses, you will love the Icelandic horse.

They are as rugged as the land, and very mellow.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Hey all!

We're back! Trip was amazing, wish I had more time there. The landscape was breath taking and we lucked out and arrived after one of their winter storms that dumped snow everywhere. Halfway through the trip, the temperature spiked 10 degrees and dumped a day full of rain, and the snow all melted away and we got a different landscape to see.

Everything there is truly expensive. Diesel fuel was almost $8 USD per gallon. A footlong subway sandwhich (just for comparison sake, I wouldn't eat chain or fast food while traveling) was $17 USD. Chicken from the grocer was about $20 USD per kilo. I needed some epoxy to sort something out and a syringe of the two part, 5-minute Loctite epoxy was $16 USD.

Most natural sights like waterfalls and parks were open to the public for free, with sometimes a $5 USD parking fee or the like. Guided excursions were expensive--a 2 hour cave tour was $200+ a person, the blue lagoon was $90 a person, etc.

Driving was pretty mellow--the speed limit is ridiculously low, and most people on the road appeared to be tourists anyway. Despite being beautiful, not a ton of places to just pull off the road to snap pictures: the roads are raised and if you left the road surface, you are pretty much going to be stuck in 18" of snow.

I've started editing pictures and am getting through about 1 or 2 a day. Here are some of the ones I've finished:

This is the aurora over the Grotta Island Lighthouse just outside Reykjavik. The aurora was very, very faint to the naked eye (solar activity level 3, on a scale of 0-9). Most people didn't even notice that the aurora was up there, until I pointed it out to them using my camera screen. 15" shutter, F2.0, ISO1600. You can see how windy it was from the clouds moving across my open shutter.

by Pursuit of This
, on Flickr

You can see Kirkjufell mountain in this picture. It's arguably Iceland's most iconic mountain. There's normally a waterfall here on the left, but it is frozen over.

by Pursuit of This
, on Flickr

This is the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon. Chunks of the Glacier breaks off into this lagoon, and float out towards the opening during low tide and out into the ocean. Glacial ice is very blue due to the low dissolved oxygen content in the ice. The ice is formed over many thousands of years by layers and layers of snow compressing the layers beneath it, expelling trapped gasses as it compresses.

by Pursuit of This
, on Flickr

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I like your snow-covered pictures. Gives a different feel to those sights especially Kirkjufell.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I'd bet you have more beautiful pictures to share if you wanted.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
excellent pics!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post